Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing NCI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

nah, il use the printer at home. that about it ?? sounds like i didnt miss much.
    also does anyone find the times on the timetable hard to read, like do classes start at 9 or earlier ??

You see the border line? e.g 9.00 border line is on the left so if you look down to the bottom of the page that's the time the class starts at I think.

I'm in group A and a lot better than group B's timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    You see the border line? e.g 9.00 border line is on the left so if you look down to the bottom of the page that's the time the class starts at I think.

I'm in group A and a lot better than group B's timetables.

i dont know, we are in later in the morning and evening, would prefer and earlier finish, but late mornings is fine during freshers week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

In group B, hour's not going to make much of a difference in the mornings, and we'll miss rush hour traffic in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Oh I forgot, you have to pay for printing and photocopying. They give you €5 print credit and to be honest I doubt we'll be using it that much.

Oh we will.

Both timetables look ok

• Advertisement

How do u get into ur printing credit

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

You will see your credit remaining at the printer as far as I know.

Did they change the timetables or something? They're more or less the exact same now apart from group A being in at 10 on a Wednesday and B in at 11 and out an hour later.

And Tuesdays A are in at half 10.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Did they change the timetables or something? They're more or less the exact same now apart from group A being in at 10 on a Wednesday and B in at 11 and out an hour later.

And Tuesdays A are in at half 10.

Don't think there's been a change

Login into your student portal and from there scroll down and click "Links". You should see something like this

http://gyazo.com/998bb06ee26400ab44f4c2a0fb3545fe

You see "Print Credit Account"? click that and you have to login. It should be €5 given for free.

• Advertisement

Login into your student portal and from there scroll down and click "Links". You should see something like this

http://gyazo.com/998bb06ee26400ab44f4c2a0fb3545fe

You see "Print Credit Account"? click that and you have to login. It should be €5 given for free.

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 LuisSuarez7

Hey I'm look for people who have done this course in NCI and how they got on in their careers to date.

The course is computing and it's the level 8 course I'm considering putting this as my no 1 choice on my CAO.

Is it a good course and college and what jobs are people currently in from doing thei course

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm in first year doing the Computing degree level 8 course. The course itself is good and they start from the beginning in programming so no panic. The module is split 50/50 practical and terminal exam in January. No pressure.

HTML is interesting and very easy to pick up if you work at it. You get to build a website which is worth 35% and it's not supposed to be the best website ever it's just to see if you can build a website from the skills required from CSS, JavaScript and JQuery. I can show my website if you want to see it.

However there are one or two modules that are not very popular and they are Maths and Personal Professional Development (Business module) but they are fair marks going for them so no pressure! If you put the work in you won't have to worry about doing them again in the 2nd semester.

The college itself is very good and it's amazing how you get to know people easily even if you don't know anybody from the start! I went on a trip abroad with the college to Brussels and was great crack altogether so plenty of things happening.

If you have any questions please ask away.

(You can merge this post into the thread if you want Spurious)

Anyone know what the suss is with PPD if you fail, I've failed the first two assignments and need about 52% in the presentation to pass so that's gone anyways haha.

One of the lads mentioned you can repeat the assessments after christmas and in August or something without having to repeat the module? Repeating the module's €1100 which is a joke. It's only 200 quid in most other colleges.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Anyone know what the suss is with PPD if you fail, I've failed the first two assignments and need about 52% in the presentation to pass so that's gone anyways haha.

One of the lads mentioned you can repeat the assessments after christmas and in August or something without having to repeat the module? Repeating the module's €1100 which is a joke. It's only 200 quid in most other colleges.
    Ouch that's a bummer. I've passed PPD so far 'cause I was blessed with such a good group.

I think you can repeat the assessments but I'm not 100% sure. Aye the €1,100 is ridiculous compared to other colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Ouch that's a bummer. I've passed PPD so far 'cause I was blessed with such a good group.

I think you can repeat the assessments but I'm not 100% sure. Aye the €1,100 is ridiculous compared to other colleges.

The €1,100 is a major motive to put the work in and pass, people take ppd fora joke that its "stupid" and very easy, then People start slacking on the work and suprisingly end up failing. I personally dont complain about it because its very doable kind of an easy pass and no end of year exam, come on !

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

The €1,100 is a major motive to put the work in and pass, people take ppd fora joke that its "stupid" and very easy, then People start slacking on the work and suprisingly end up failing. I personally dont complain about it because its very doable kind of an easy pass and no end of year exam, come on !

You don't pay €1,100 to repeat one module. €1,100 is to repeat the year. To repeat one module, I think it's just over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

My advice is never fail a module if possible, especially if all it involves is putting in some work. If you are failing a module like PPD then you can be pretty much guaranteed to fail others over the course of the degree. Slippery slope and all that.

By 4th year, the guys who failed the easy marked modules like PPD in first year, had all dropped out.

Advice:
    Better to drop out now, and do something else, than dropping out a year from now. Even better still, get the finger out, put in some work and get through it. If you do fail, it's not the end of the world, but don't let it happen again or statistically you are likely to drop out.

I don't see myself failing anyway as I know that I will put in the work required and I got myself covered with the easy marks gained from CAs in Maths, Programming and HTML.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭RoadWars2013

Hey computing level 6 and computer applications are my first choices in my cao

I'm wondering how do people find this course and what are the job prospects ?

Hey computing level 6 and computer applications are my first choices in my cao

I'm wondering how do people find this course and what are the job prospects ?
    Why not put Computing level 8 as your first choice 'cause it's basically the same course as the Higher Cert. for the 2 years.

I'm a first year student doing the Honours course and heading into the 2nd semester next week. It's a good course but be prepared to put a lot of effort in at home as well. They teach the basics at the start so you don't need to know programming and html very well prior entering the course.

There is very good job opportunities in those courses you've choosen and won't have a problem finding jobs either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭RoadWars2013

Why not put Computing level 8 as your first choice 'cause it's basically the same course as the Higher Cert. for the 2 years.

I'm a first year student doing the Honours course and heading into the 2nd semester next week. It's a good course but be prepared to put a lot of effort in at home as well. They teach the basics at the start so you don't need to know programming and html very well prior entering the course.

There is very good job opportunities in those courses you've choosen and won't have a problem finding jobs either.

Sorry I phrased it badly :(
    My first choice on the level 8 side is computing

My first option on the level 6/7 option is computer applications and support.

I know a bit about HTML and will learn abit of code over the summer. Hard work won't phase me as it's something I'm determined to do ill work as hard as needs be.
    It sound good 7 months to go :))

Sorry I phrased it badly :(
    My first choice on the level 8 side is computing

My first option on the level 6/7 option is computer applications and support.

I know a bit about HTML and will learn abit of code over the summer. Hard work won't phase me as it's something I'm determined to do ill work as hard as needs be.
    It sound good 7 months to go :))

Ah no worries there!

If you know a bit about HTML you'll fly through it in first year like I did. The exam wasn't too hard this year and you get to create a website from scratch which was worth 35%. Aye, if you learn a bit of coding during the summer it will help ease the pressure going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Did you get February mid term doing this course

Did you get February mid term doing this course
    Nope. We got exams in January then a 1-2 week break till 2nd Semester. However we got a mid-term in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Alice___5

I was looking at putting this on my Cao for September, just wondering does anyone know if it will go up in points much or what points I'd need to get in to the computing level 8 course?

Alice___5 wrote: »
    I was looking at putting this on my Cao for September, just wondering does anyone know if it will go up in points much or what points I'd need to get in to the computing level 8 course?
    Hey Alice, determining how many points it may rise by is quite unpredictable. The points right now are 270 which fell from a 50 point drop so to keep yourself safe get at least 320 points in case it goes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Alice___5

Hey Alice, determining how many points it may rise by is quite unpredictable. The points right now are 270 which fell from a 50 point drop so to keep yourself safe get at least 320 points in case it goes up again.

Thanks for replying :) I'd say I'll probably get around 350 points but I seen in a few threads that a few people got between 40 to 100 points more than 270points, if the points went back up to 320 and I got 350 points do you think it would be likely I'll get offered a place or do a lot of people who apply will have more than 350 points?

Sorry if that's a really weird/awkward question :L

• Advertisement

Alice___5 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying :) I'd say I'll probably get around 350 points but I seen in a few threads that a few people got between 40 to 100 points more than 270points, if the points went back up to 320 and I got 350 points do you think it would be likely I'll get offered a place or do a lot of people who apply will have more than 350 points?

Sorry if that's a really weird/awkward question :L
    I understand what you are saying. However I'm no expert in the CAO business but if you got 350 while the points were back up to 320 I don't see why you won't get a place.

Advertisement