Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when a drink driving ban is up?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kneemos wrote: »
    They may have changed the rules but it certainly used to be the case.

From Citizens Information
    Removal of a disqualification

The rules which allow for the removal of a disqualification were changed from 5 March 2007. Under the rules only people who have been disqualified for the first time for a period of more than 2 years will be allowed to apply to the court to have their disqualification removed and their driving licence restored. At least half of the period of disqualification must have elapsed, however, before the person can apply for the restoration of their licence.

The court may only reduce the overall period of the disqualification to a minimum of two-thirds of the period specified in the original disqualification order.

When a court is considering an application for the restoration of a driving licence it will look at the nature of the offence, the character of the applicant and the conduct of the applicant after conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

Your friend just carries on as normal from the date it is restored. The ban comes into affect 14 days after conviction, so it is 2 years or whatever from that date. You can go to court & look for it back earlier if you have half your time done (call into your local district court clerk office) its called " application to restore driving licence" .Represent yourself, i think you pay 30-50 euros, just apologise to the court & say you wont do it again. A solicitor will charge you 200 euros to do the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Sorry, I'm late into the thread, I'm over from the Motors forum.

Your friend has committed a heinous crime & should never be allowed drive again.
    What he has done is worse than murder, rape & murder, followed by another rape.
    He should have his endorsement tattooed on his forehead & be made pull the rock of shame behind his bicycle for the rest of his days.

Cheers, thx, bi

Mod: User banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I didn't give a **** cause I didn't do anything wrong, so I copied my license before it got stamped and always sent that in for insurance, yes I know fraud, wasn't paying 4000 to drive, when I got it back it was just handed back no retest

When in the station the guards kept asking me Do You Have Anything To Say? YES I Said I wasn't even in my car nevermind ****ing driving, Scumbags.

I don't understand the mentality of people paying for insurance like this by lying, why pay anything you are not insured if anything happens, it's a waste of money. The only person you are fooling is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Your friend has committed a heinous crime & should never be allowed drive again.
    He should have his endorsement tattooed on his forehead & be made pull the rock of shame behind his bicycle for the rest of his days.

Cheers, thx, bi

Don't talk ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

ill just leave this here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I don't understand the mentality of people paying for insurance like this by lying, why pay anything you are not insured if anything happens, it's a waste of money. The only person you are fooling is yourself.

Well if I didn't I couldn't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

They may have changed the rules but it certainly used to be the case.

I was told by a solicitor that if the convicted was given a sentence of 2 years and 1 day that the ban may be apealed. My friend was given a ban of 2 years!

He can not appeal his ban. (His solicitor advised him of this)

I may be totaly wrong but this is what he has been told :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

you can drive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Cheers, thx, bi

D**khead!!

• Advertisement

Well if I didn't I couldn't drive.

you were driving without insurance, you ok with this? If you hit someone what would you do ?

DAZP93 wrote: »
    I was told by a solicitor that if the convicted was given a sentence of 2 years and 1 day that the ban may be apealed. My friend was given a ban of 2 years!

He can not appeal his ban. (His solicitor advised him of this)

I may be totaly wrong but this is what he has been told :confused:

yes thats correct, that's why most solicitors ask in court for the extra day, so if you get 2 years and a day you can get you licence back after 16 months off the road.

you were driving without insurance, you ok with this? If you hit someone what would you do ?

But I did have insurance kind of, chances are 50/50 getting your license inspected.

Plus if I crashed and had to pay up, chances are again it would have been cheaper than paying 4000 a year for 3 years, thats 12000.

Better to be stopped by the guards and have insurance than none.

Needed a car for work, so nothing I could do, and like I said I couldn't care less because the guards are lying scum and I did nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Cheers, thx, bi

Ye be aswell going back over there so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i thought you had to start from scratch again op, not that it would encourage to chance a few drinks and drive home from the pub :p

But I did have insurance kind of, chances are 50/50 getting your license inspected.

Plus if I crashed and had to pay up, chances are again it would have been cheaper than paying 4000 a year for 3 years, thats 12000.

Needed a car for work, so nothing I could do, and like I said I couldn't care less because the guards are lying scum and I did nothing wrong.

You realise your insurance is invalid in this situation, if you had an accident your insurance will not cover you.
    If you killed someone could you put a price on their life?

The guards did not make you tell a lie to your insurance company.

You realise your insurance is invalid in this situation, if you had an accident your insurance will not cover you.
    If you killed someone could you put a price on their life?

The guards did not make you tell a lie to your insurance company.

Like I said I took a chance, had to be done, no other way.

No they didn't make me lie, but they lied in court in the first place and got me into the situation I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was the judge that convicted you.

It was the judge that convicted you.

No **** Sherlock

Because of the lies that the guards told

No they didn't make me lie, but they lied in court in the first place and got me into the situation I was in.

But you will be caught soon enough, there is a new thing coming in where insurance company's are going to be able to check the persons driving history before they insure them, it was supposed to come in in january but it's been delayed,

So how are you going to explain that one to the insurance company when your renewal is up and they can check you out before insuring you??

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    But you will be caught soon enough, there is a new thing coming in where insurance company's are going to be able to check the persons driving history before they insure them, it was supposed to come in in january but it's been delayed,

So how are you going to explain that one to the insurance company when your renewal is up and they can check you out before insuring you??

this was years ago so I have a clean license now, doesn't really matter anymore.

No you got you into the situation you were in same as the choice you made to lie to your insurance company, it's your own doing no one else's but keep telling yourself its everyone else's fault if it makes you feel better.

You were done for drunk in charge and then to add to it you decided to drive around without insurance or drivers licence giving no thought to the consequences of what would happen if you were involved in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No **** Sherlock

Because of the lies that the guards told

Do tell.

this was years ago so I have a clean license now, doesn't really matter anymore.

ohh yes it will because when you get insurance you have to declare your convictions,

So if you tell then you have no convictions and they check it out and it shows you have what are you going to do then?

No you got you into the situation you were in same as the choice you made to lie to your insurance company, it's your own doing no one else's but keep telling yourself its everyone else's fault if it makes you feel better.

You were done for drunk in charge and then to add to it you decided to drive around without insurance or drivers licence giving no thought to the consequences of what would happen if you were involved in an accident.

I was done for drink driving, driving erratically around roads. LIES!!!!

I never drove without insurance, fair enough it wasn't 100% legit, but I had it and never drove without a license.

So if your insurance ask you were you ever convicted of any driving offences will you tell the truth?
    Will you admit you used a fake licence while of the road to get insurance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I never drove without insurance, fair enough it wasn't 100% legit, but I had it and never drove without a license.

Your driving ban invalidated your insurance and while banned you had no licence, so the above two statements are untrue.

So if your insurance ask you were you ever convicted of any driving offences will you tell the truth?
    Will you admit you used a fake licence while of the road to get insurance?

Yes, I have and always have since the endorsement was removed from my license, and always been fine, no price increases because of it. €350 every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I'd say you were done for "drunk in charge" and not drunk driving. Meaning you were caught before you started driving.

• Advertisement

I was done for drink driving, driving erratically around roads. LIES!!!!

what part of disqualified to drive do you not understand?

you had no insurance and no license because you should not be driving.

we will leave out the fraud, to complicated for you.

Advertisement