Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when a drink driving ban is up?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hello,

A friend of mine was put off the road a number of months ago and every time I ask him does he have to resit his Theory Test he gets extremely annoyed as he just presumes that he will be handed back his licence after the ban is lifted. I'm not so sure?

What I am wandering is will he have to go through the whole system of Theory test, Lessons and full test once again when the time comes?

He did hold a full licence before he was banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You are that "friend" aren't you?

It will just be handed back to him obviously. Why would he have to go through the whole system again, he didn't lose the ability to drive, he took a chance and will be severely punished by being off the road, isn't that enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

DAZP93 wrote: »
    Hello,

A friend of mine was put off the road a number of months ago and every time I ask him does he have to resit his Theory Test he gets extremely annoyed as he just presumes that he will be handed back his licence after the ban is lifted. I'm not so sure?

What I am wandering is will he have to go through the whole system of Theory test, Lessons and full test once again when the time comes?

He did hold a full licence before he was banned.

No, he doesn't have to resit. His licence wasn't taken off him, it was suspended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Your friend is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What happens when a drink driving ban is up?

Generally a big piss up with optional taxi home.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Was it for DUI? I have a feeling even after the ban ends His insurance will go up considerably. AFAIK there is a shared database of info the guards and insurace companies can feed off

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

You are that "friend" aren't you?

I'm actualy not..apart from one or two pen. points my licence is still firmly in my wallet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

Your "friend" certainly should have to do all of the things that you've mentioned as he clearly doesn't understand how to drive safely.
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Pretty sure he does just get handed back his license.
    Although now that you mention it, they probably should fully cancel peoples licenses in these situations and make them start from scratch. The hassle of the whole thing would be a punishment in itself.

That said, most people who have had license suspended etc would probably just drive on a provisional and never bother with the test.

Kinda off topic: can you get penalty points opn a Provisional License?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

A Judge dealing with a drink driving is entitled to order that the convicted person re-sit the driving test on the expiry of the ban. If that order is not specifically made, then on the expiry of the period of disqualification the person in question is simply free to drive, subject to the usual requirements on their licence being in date, insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

JD Green wrote: »
    Your "friend" certainly should have to do all of the things that you've mentioned as he clearly doesn't understand how to drive safely.
    LOL

Or maybe he should get a horse like yours

I'm actualy not..apart from one or two pen. points my licence is still firmly in my wallet :D

He'll need to go back to court to get it back,if he was banned for six months he can get it back after three months or banned for a year after six months etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

reginald wrote: »
    Or maybe he should get a horse like yours

She's only a small pony lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not to mention his insurance premium will rocket.

If he fails to declare that he had a DD conviction according to the time span listed on the proposal form his policy could be null and void.

JD Green wrote: »
    She's only a small pony lad

A pony is a pony boyo..still better than walking if you dont mind getting a few funny looks on the way to the pub!!

Was it for DUI? I have a feeling even after the ban ends His insurance will go up considerably. AFAIK there is a shared database of info the guards and insurace companies can feed off

Yes it was for DUI..Oh I'd imagine he will struggle to get insurance..At the time he was only driving 6 or 7 months.

The other thing is (prob doesnt make a difference) He was cought while he had a provisional licence but by the time he appeared in court and got the ban he had passed his full test and obtained his Full Irish licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

You go to the pub to celebrate and drive home

Yes it was for DUI..Oh I'd imagine he will struggle to get insurance..At the time he was only driving 6 or 7 months.

The other thing is (prob doesnt make a difference) He was cought while he had a provisional licence but by the time he appeared in court and got the ban he had passed his full test and obtained his Full Irish licence.

Makes no difference. The disqualification was on the licence which he held at the time of going to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

kneemos wrote: »
    Friend.

Car friend

• Advertisement

He'll need to go back to court to get it back,if he was banned for six months he can get it back after three months or banned for a year after six months etc.

Its automatically restored on expiry of the disqualified period.

He might be entitled to get it restored early by applying to court if he meets the statutory criteria. Ima not about to go and look 'em up now but I think what you've said is essentially wrong.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Makes no difference. The disqualification was on the licence which he held at the time of going to court.

As I thought:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Why did he bother sitting the test when he was losing his licence?
    He will get insurance but at a very high price.

I presume it would look a little better in the court room having a full licence rather than a learner permit!

It also means that he will have his licence given back to him when the 2 year ban is up..very handy :D

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Its automatically restored on expiry of the disqualified period.

He might be entitled to get it restored early by applying to court if he meets the statutory criteria. Ima not about to go and look 'em up now but I think what you've said is essentially wrong.

I can assure you it is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Insurance will double, i was paying 350 before i got nabbed, when i went back on the road it went up to just over 700, but after a year or 2 it will sort it self out, now i'm back to paying just over 400 which i'm happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I can assure you it is right.

your wrong, you are entitled to get your licence back early only if you get more than a 2 year ban, then you can get 2/3 of it reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I got done for drinking beside my car, went out, went for a few pints, had cans in the car so we went up and got them to drink before we went into the club.

Guards drive around the corner, handcuffs on, bring me back to blow in the machine, limit was 0.35 I blew a 0.36, make up some bull**** story in court and banned for a year, endorsement on the license for 3 years.

I didn't give a **** cause I didn't do anything wrong, so I copied my license before it got stamped and always sent that in for insurance, yes I know fraud, wasn't paying 4000 to drive, when I got it back it was just handed back no retest

When in the station the guards kept asking me Do You Have Anything To Say? YES I Said I wasn't even in my car nevermind ****ing driving, Scumbags.

gustafo wrote: »
    Insurance will double, i was paying 350 before i got nabbed, when i went back on the road it went up to just over 700, but after a year or 2 it will sort it self out, now i'm back to paying just over 400 which i'm happy with.

The man in question is 19 atm with 6 months driving experience..you can be sure he will be paying at the very least 3 grand of a premium for a fiat punto :D

So in 2 years time he will be 21..pretty much no driving experience with a drink driving ban under his belt..Good luck getting insurance there I'd say :pac:

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    your wrong, you are entitled to get your licence back early only if you get more than a 2 year ban, then you can get 2/3 of it reduced

They may have changed the rules but it certainly used to be the case.

Advertisement