Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are rising rents making buying a better option?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 46 eggwhitelad

most definitily yes

Would never rent

Gonna buy in two years :):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah shure renting is just paying someone elses mortgage! a fat cat too, no doubt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Wossack wrote: »
    ah shure renting is just paying someone elses mortgage! a fat cat too, no doubt

but doesn't renting offer one great flexibility, and the chance to live in a great area like Rathmines?

• Site Banned Posts: 46 eggwhitelad

Dont get why anyone would waste there money on rent when you could easily get a nice 3 bed in dublin in good area for around 170k

the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dont get why anyone would waste there money on rent when you could easily get a nice 3 bed in dublin in good area for around 170k

the mind boggles

Maybe they can't get a mortgage. Where will they live while trying to save if working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

the mind boggles

Your definition of a good area and mine must be different.

Your definition of a good area and mine must be different.

what is yours?
    how much are houses there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

With so many empty properties around how are rents going up?

A quick glance on daft and comparing the prices for Dublin City centre from about 4 years ago when i left they have dropped quite a bit. Back then a one bed apartment was about 1200 minimum unless you were happy putting up with some ridiculous flaw(such as the bathroom being in another part of the building).Now theres a nice looking flat on Gardiner Street for 800. Thats nearly half of the asking price about 5-6 years ago.

So yeah, who says rents are going up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Much easier to leave a rented accommodation when you need emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If house prices are still falling by 10% a year (as they still are in a lot of places) then a house that is currently on sale for 120000 will be 12000 cheaper next year.

If your rent is less than 1500 a month then you're financially better off waiting an extra year essentially, depreciation + cost of the mortgage for 12 months will be at least 20 grand
    Not to mention the longer term cost. With interest, the extra 12000 you would have to borrow would end up costing over 20 thousand over the course of a 30 year mortgage.

Not to mention the Property tax when that is introduced, plus the cost of maintaining the property which is the responsibility of the landlord in a private rental...

While property prices are falling, it makes no sense to buy. The sums only add up when property prices are rising at least at the rate of inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We all rent, some of us pay rent to a landlord, some of us pay rent to the bank.

We all rent, some of us pay rent to a landlord, some of us pay rent to the bank.

very true, but the landlord aint gonna give you his house in 20 years time, is he?
    (not unless you get his daughter up the pole?)

Akrasia wrote: »
    If house prices are still falling by 10% a year (as they still are in a lot of places) then a house that is currently on sale for 120000 will be 12000 cheaper next year.

If your rent is less than 1500 a month then you're financially better off waiting an extra year essentially, depreciation + cost of the mortgage for 12 months will be at least 20 grand
    Not to mention the longer term cost. With interest, the extra 12000 you would have to borrow would end up costing over 20 thousand over the course of a 30 year mortgage.

Not to mention the Property tax when that is introduced, plus the cost of maintaining the property which is the responsibility of the landlord in a private rental...

While property prices are falling, it makes no sense to buy. The sums only add up when property prices are rising at least at the rate of inflation.

property prices have increased for the last 4 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

property prices have increased for the last 4 months!
    I'd be interested to see where you got that information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Recent figures suggest rents are rising. Record numbers continue to rent, with little to show for it. Many cannot get mortgage approval.

Is rent dead money?

Is it now time to consider buying?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hope-for-housing-market-now-its-cheaper-to-buy-than-rent-3286129.html

Are you a estate agent?

jester77 wrote: »
    Much easier to leave a rented accommodation when you need emigrate.

friends of mine are renting their house while in Sweden.
    they have a smallish mortgage, so the extra cash comes in very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

You should have just bumped one of the other "property on the up" threads you've started in AH in the last couple of months. :D

Good time to buy property?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78775147

Property prices are on the way back up!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79394179

More "evidence" of property prices going up?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80992377

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81627747

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Renting allows me to live in an area which i cannot afford to live in should i want to buy at the moment.

It allows me to still save money which will in turn increase me savings (!) and at the time i feel the need to buy, i can get a larger mortgage to live in a nicer area with the additional money i have. The way i see it, i am going to be paying it for 30 years anyway, why does it matter whether it until im x or x+3 years old.

I do not have to fix or pay for anything that gets broken and floors/furniture are included in rent.

I think the people who think renting is dead money need to do some reading up. I am sick of making the same points over and over again..

As someone above said (incorrectly), the mind boggles

Are you a estate agent?

No.
    Thank God!

Q. why don't EAs open their blinds in the morning?
    A. 'cos they like to have something to do in the afternoon. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

very true, but the landlord aint gonna give you his house in 20 years time, is he?

he aint going to charge you double either though like a mortgage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

friends of mine are renting their house while in Sweden.
    they have a smallish mortgage, so the extra cash comes in very handy.

But they still would have had to find tenants. What happens if something breaks down, it's a long trip back from Sweden to check things out. If the tenants move out, they could be left with an empty house for a few months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Very true, but with the money I'll save by not paying interest on a mortgage or paying maintenance fees on a property, I'll be off living the good life free to move about as I please. While you'll be stuck in your 170k property that you've actually spent 250k on, but which is only worth 130k.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    You should have just bumped one of the other "property on the up" threads you've started in AH in the last couple of months. :D

Good time to buy property?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78775147

Property prices are on the way back up!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79394179

More "evidence" of property prices going up?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80992377

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81627747

the MODS warned me against that, so i better not.
    besides this thread is dealing specifically with the choice between RENTING Vs BUYING.

jester77 wrote: »
    But they still would have had to find tenants. What happens if something breaks down, it's a long trip back from Sweden to check things out. If the tenants move out, they could be left with an empty house for a few months.

mutual friends have moved in, so that's not really an issue for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I'd be interested to see where you got that information.

And who commissioned the report. The united guild of Estate Agents?

Very true, but with the money I'll save by not paying interest on a mortgage or paying maintenance fees on a property, I'll be off living the good life free to move about as I please. While you'll be stuck in your 170k property that you've actually spent 250k on, but which is only worth 130k.

there's a lot of assumptions in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I rent.Not because I want to but Because I have to. Banks are not giving out mortgages as easily as what they use to.I agree its dead money though but what an one do

Caught on both places

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

what is yours?
    how much are houses there?

decent areas in dublin for a 3 bed are probably looking at around starting the 250k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There are lot of 'cheap' properties if you look at mortgage repayments as against what you would have to pay in rent. But with the property tax coming and new budget.. anyone considering buying would be best to hold off until mid next year to see how the market is then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Recent figures suggest rents are rising. Record numbers continue to rent, with little to show for it. Many cannot get mortgage approval.

Is rent dead money?

Is it now time to consider buying?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hope-for-housing-market-now-its-cheaper-to-buy-than-rent-3286129.html

Hey, op, aren't you either an employee of, or infact yourself a mortgage broker?

Propaganda!

You have started a disproportionate amount of threads about how now is the bets time to buy a house, rent is pointless, poroperty prices raising, buy buy buy, etc.

I thought there was a rule against shills posting on boards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement