Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€60 games how did that happen?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I remember paying 80 to 90 euro's a pop on some ps2 games. I pre-ordered hitman professional edition today and it was only 58 euros in hmv, black ops 2 was I think 50. It still depends on where you shop, gamestop is a rip off. I use hmv and have seen the same game 10 euros more in gamestop, all you can really do is shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

why wouldn't you pay 60 euro for an open world game like gtaIV?

even for a bog standard 10 hour fps that's six euro an hour. even less if you're going to replay it or plan to play it online. that's quite good value

Wow... 60 euro for a 10 hour game is good value??? This has to be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Wow... 60 euro for a 10 hour game is good value??? This has to be a joke.

I've put hundreds of hours into each GTA title, anyone who buys one of those games and likes it will put waaaaay more than 10 hours into it.

Why are PC games cheaper than console games? The only new release I've bought in years was skyrim and it was €44.99 in Gamestop in Galway on the day it was released. The console versions were €60, any reason for this?

Steam however were selling the game for €60, shops are generally cheaper than steam for new releases. Although I think Skyrim dropped to €30 in the steam sale a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

MadYaker wrote: »

Why are PC games cheaper than console games? The only new release I've bought in years was skyrim and it was €44.99 in Gamestop in Galway on the day it was released. The console versions were €60, any reason for this?

Steam however were selling the game for €60, shops are generally cheaper than steam for new releases. Although I think Skyrim dropped to €30 in the steam sale a few months ago.

As said already PC games are cheaper because Microsoft or Sony don't get a cut.

I think steam is more expensive for new release because it has a monopoly on digital distribution for that platform. The prices rely on people being impatient and just clicking and getting the game close to launch.
    The price soon drops as people who wait are more likely to by a hard copy if it's cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gotham wrote: »
    Can you cite those release prices? I know that SF2 was due to "a shortage of cartridges".

lol, only from memory...

SSF2Turbo, day 1 release, Smyths Toy Store, Limerick City.

Perfect Dark Zero, Gamesworld (or whatever GameStop used to be called), Galway

Black Ops 2...erm, yesterday, Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The manufacturing cost of retail games or support/hosting cost for downloadable games it a tiny fraction of the selling price, publishers are trying to make more money over all rather than per unit sold and it's far easier to use current price points to predict sales and act accordingly.

Price is more dictated by what people are willing to spend that how much the item it worth. A lot of people spend $15 on the first COD map pack and now that's the standard with EA following.

I'd say the higher price on games early in a generation/at launch is more down to the relatively very small install base that you have a chance to sell to rather than the development costs. Added to this launch owners are more likely to spend extra after spending a premium to get the console at the start, and then you have first party games who can allow lower prices as incentive for the hardware sales.

Advertisement