Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€60 games how did that happen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    Steam sales ftw. The last game I paid more than 30 quid for was skyrim.
    Steam prices are a joke from what I've seen. Usually more expensive than the shops which is just ridiculous. I haven't even considered buying off them because of their prices. All these low prices people quote are sales that they run for limited times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ScumLord wrote: »
    Steam prices are a joke from what I've seen. Usually more expensive than the shops which is just ridiculous. I haven't even considered buying off them because of their prices. All these low prices people quote are sales that they run for limited times.

Yeah, so buy your games during those times, its not that hard! New releases obviously won't be included, but only fools buy a game on the day its released and pay full price. They also do deals every week which are often quite good.

Beauty of Steam is that you can use sites such as g2play and get new releases for dirt cheap, I paid 23 euro for Sleeping Dogs the day it was released and 12 for Dark Souls a few weeks back. Much fun as it is to play a game the day it's released it makes far more sense to wait a few weeks when you can pick the game up for cheap in one of the many Steam sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

So? Just buy at the sales if you don't *really* need the game. I feel that saving €30 from the face price of the game by waiting for *two weeks* makes it worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Are cheaper prices in HMV not offset by the sales of CDs DVDs BluRays Accessories TShirts Posters that Gamestop dont have? Or do gamestop sell that stuff?

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Are cheaper prices in HMV not offset by the sales of CDs DVDs BluRays Accessories TShirts Posters that Gamestop dont have? Or do gamestop sell that stuff?

Yes HMV has a far wider range of stock but GS make massive mark ups on pre-owned titles that could easily off set them lowering the price of new releases. A few weeks back I went in with 3 games, all recent enough releases and they offered me under 20 euros for them. For me to walk into the shop and buy all 3 pre-owned I'd be handing in over a 100 euro. They were making close to a 90 euro profit on the three games so it's obvious that they are making massive mark ups on all trade ins. HMV offer the consumer much better trade in prices and still sell new releases at a much fairer price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd have no problem paying €60 for a game I know I'm going to get my money's worth from. Oblivion, FIFA, Fallout (and New Vegas), Halo, etc could all offer me up to 100 hours of entertainment. The problem is when you take a risk and get a stinker or end up with something decent but short.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

little bit off subject but at the same time relevant is the fact that where paying €60 a lot of the time for half finished games

cheers for the feedback all nice to see both sides of the argument special thanks to gamesnash.ie nice to see a professional view on matters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im glad I got away from console gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Only really play pc games so I can't remember when I last paid anything like 60 quid for a game. On the rare occasions when I do actually buy a game around the time its released, I almost always go with Amazon and pay less than 30 euro for it. Oh actually last year I did pick up Skyrim for 42 quid in Zavvi. I put almost 200 hours into that so it was money well spent.
    The vast majority of the time I pick up games months after they release for a lot less.

IMHO anyone who regularly forks out 60 quid for new releases needs to learn the value of money and/or needs to get their head examined in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

snip.... Atm Smyths have Resident Evil 6 for 30 euro new and 25 second hand... snip.

That is very very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just some examples of overcharging I have seen.Now that GAME are gone the stores no longer match or even beat shelf prices of their competitors.

Gamestop are charging €339.99 for the Halo 4 Xbox 360, HMV have it listed in their Christmas catalogue for €310. So many people bought FIFA 13 in Gamestop for €59.99 while HMV had it for €49.99, now HMV have HALO 4 for €45 while gamestop are charging €54.99. Smyths are selling the new Prof. Layton on 3DS for €37.99, this is €45 in Gamestop.

Soon the Wii U is released with most if not all games marked down to be €59.99 in Gamestop, I hope anyone thinking of buying them shops around first but being that the release date is smack in the middle of the Christmas rush Gamestop are going to clean up big time on poor casual shoppers and lazy gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    Yeah, so buy your games during those times, its not that hard!
    I might if I had a credit card but I don't. At the same time I know steams is just running a selling model. They have you on the hook for these so called deals where they still make a profit and can count on you for more sales. Your at their mercy basically, you buy games when they put the deal up, it's a good tactic.

I don't often have time to dedicate to games, so when I want to buy a game steam usually isn't selling it cheap so why should I bother?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Games have been 50/55 euro for so long, and that was their rrp.
    And now they were usually marked down so only the truly dedicated/medicated would jump and spend serious money on latest releases at launch.
    So what?
    10 years ago PS2 games were similar money, 10 years before that MD and Snes games could be 40/50 pounds at launch.
    Year on year, with inflation, games are getting cheaper, even at launch even when the price seems to stay the same.
    So, if you want that game now, pay the money, otherwise STFU and wait for a couple of weeks until it's been discounted to more sensible amounts.

No one is forcing anyone to buy at the higher prices, you can hunt for a better deal online or in the bricks and mortar shops.
    Nothing worse than someone whining about paying €60 for FIFA 1n when it was available cheaper elsewhere but they were too dumb/ignorant/lazy to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I might if I had a credit card but I don't. At the same time I know steams is just running a selling model. They have you on the hook for these so called deals where they still make a profit and can count on you for more sales. Your at their mercy basically, you buy games when they put the deal up, it's a good tactic.

I don't often have time to dedicate to games, so when I want to buy a game steam usually isn't selling it cheap so why should I bother?
    You don't have a bank account?

At the Mercy of steam xD

Steam makes the same regardless. Its the developer that names the price. Either way its $$$$$ for all involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Gamestop is a ripoff; I don't buy many games - don't have the time to play them all, but recently got F1 2012 for 47.99 in HMV. Still, it was 44.99 until a few months ago and, more ridiculously, you see used games priced at the likes of 39.99...

you should of went into CEX
    its only 30e in their :) another great store for trade in values and low prices , sadly they dont always have new games, very little to choose from compared to gs or hmv

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

1. Produce Game
    2. Packaging and distribution
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT (but not for you!)

...seriously though, it does suck big shtyle

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The manager of my local Supervalu used to run a van(shop) years ago in my area. I bought Return Fire on PS 1 from him for fifteen punts. He and most if not all Supervalu stores are now selling Black Ops 2 for €39.99 while XTRAVISION and Gamestop are charging €60, granted the Supervalu ones are not the Nuketown edition but neither are the gamestop or XTRAVISION ones if you have not pre booked it. I really hope Supervalu stock some Wii U games for €39.99 Ina few weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't think SuperValu will be getting into games. They stocked Black Ops as a loss leader hoping people would pick up something else while in store. The game is guaranteed to sell, where as the Wii U is more of an unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Had to share this, was in Xtravision today browsing for nothing in particular and there was a lady in her late 40's in the games section beside me looking here there and every where, on impulse I said I bet your looking for back ops 2 ....... I told her to nip into tesco 200 meters away to save herself €15 :D

Met her on her way out and she was like wait there wait there please, I'm like wtf she went to the news agents there in the shopping center and bought me a a quick pick for the lotto :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

nerd69 wrote: »
    i remember people complaining about modern warfare going up to 55 now they all seem to be 60 why is this the industry cant be that badly off if this is the way its going will it be 70 this time next year to be honest 50 was a lot to be handing over several times a year at what point does it become to expensive a hobby

It depends on titles. Video games are far more expensive to produce on disc than, say, a movie or a music album, and with every passing year, the quality of games are rising, the graphics are incredible, but cost more to produce and replicate on disc, so it's rises the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I seriously can't believe people are paying 50 euro upwards.
    I'll order 2-3 day one new releases a month from Amazon
    and usually pay 40-45 euro. If you preorder on Amazon they only charge you the lowest price they sold at between your order and release, none of the crap I've seen on here where people pay deposits to Irish stores only to be told the price has gone up on collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-13-epic-expects-next-gen-game-costs-to-double

Waking up to news to this from epic games has me thinking what the future of gaming going to be like ?.

Games shooting up in price will essentially turn off people buying games new. Publishers will blame gamestop used games , will try to push digital games/dlc more and it seems all major publishers like EA believe free to play is the future.

I have no sympathy for a publisher to pump millions into a game and millions into advertising and if it doesnt make expectations its on them not us.

Hence why battlefield 3 was made to take call of duty players but when they couldnt reach that goal even with all the bash talking from EA they lowered their expectations , switch their opinions and threw in the battlefield season pass to make up for their earnings back.

In the end i dont blame them , gaming consumers are addicts and will play money either way to get games . I have seen people on psn buy 80 quid games of psn , 50 quid season passes and costume packs...

Not many smart shoppers out there anymore ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Super Nintendo - 72 irish pounds.
    Perfect Dark Zero - XBOX360 - 80 euro
    Call of Duty Black Ops - 45 euro
    EDIT: I can remember some Neo Geo games being 120 pounds ffs!

We honestly don't realize how good we have it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Waking up to news to this from epic games has me thinking what the future of gaming going to be like ?.

Games shooting up in price will essentially turn off people buying games new. Publishers will blame gamestop used games , will try to push digital games/dlc more and it seems all major publishers like EA believe free to play is the future.
    You're assuming games will shoot up in price though, something which didn't happen this generation when development costs multiplied, nor in previous generations as FutureGuy and others have pointed out.

So yes, publishers will have higher expectations for AAA games, will probably take less risks if current trends continue and will probably push DLC even more.

Gamers can perhaps respond by supporting original IP or more interesting games on release and not forking out for poor quality DLC.

gizmo wrote: »
    You're assuming games will shoot up in price though, something which didn't happen this generation when development costs multiplied, nor in previous generations as FutureGuy and others have pointed out.

So yes, publishers will have higher expectations for AAA games, will probably take less risks if current trends continue and will probably push DLC even more.

Gamers can perhaps respond by supporting original IP or more interesting games on release and not forking out for poor quality DLC.

Im responding to the article where tim sweeney says games will perhaps shoot up in price .

I agree more should support original ip , maybe then i would of had valkyria chronicles 3 in my hands :(

As i said consumers are addicts , they are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

FutureGuy wrote: »

Can you cite those release prices? I know that SF2 was due to "a shortage of cartridges".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Im responding to the article where tim sweeney says games will perhaps shoot up in price .

I agree more should support original ip , maybe then i would of had valkyria chronicles 3 in my hands :(

As i said consumers are addicts , they are to blame.
    Ah, when Sweeney talked about "price tags" he meant development costs, not the final price of the game. :)

gizmo wrote: »
    Ah, when Sweeney talked about "price tags" he meant development costs, not the final price of the game. :)

Oh right , misunderstanding on my part :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

FutureGuy wrote: »

Agreed, but game prices do tend to drop towards the end of a consoles lifecycle. I remember getting my XBox on release day and Game were charging €80 per game (Virgin downstairs were charging €70). By the end of the console lifecycle all games were ~€45-50. The same thing has happened this generation. I paid €70 for my 360 launch games. Wouldn't pay over €45 for a game now (from Amazon).

Street Fighter 2 on SNES does seem to be one of those anomalies but they could probably justify charging it because of the absolute craze that was surrounding the game at that time.

Advertisement