Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hypocrisy of After Hours

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

humanji wrote: »
    No, humour is not the cornerstone of AH. But it's not a forum for posting any old random thoughts. The Clare Daly thread was a humorous observation. I'm sorry it caused you so much offence. By the way, should I ban you for that homophobic remark you made not long ago, or should I see it as the joke its meant to be?
    What homophobic remark?

Once again, why was the thread locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

padd b1975 wrote: »
    What homophobic remark?

Once again, why was the thread locked?
    Your DUP comment in the gay child thread.

And I've no idea why the thread was closed. I'm on my mobile, so can't see who closed it. This should give you some indication that instead of the mods being one symbiotic being, we're a group of individuals interpreting rules as we go. These rules being designed around and by the users.

Your DUP comment in the gay child thread.

And I've no idea why the thread was closed. I'm on my mobile, so can't see who closed it. This should give you some indication that instead of the mods being one symbiotic being, we're a group of individuals interpreting rules as we go. These rules being designed around and by the users.
    My comment was in no way homophobic!! Seriously?? It was laughing at the DUP attitude that homosexuality can be cured.

First Minister Peter Robinson last night endorsed his wife’s controversial
    views on homosexuality — and then called on gays to support his party.

Mr Robinson’s backing for his MP wife Iris over her description of
    homosexuality as an “abomination” was voiced in a TV interview.

He also stated that he had “no idea” if there were any gays in the DUP.

The First Minister told the BBC Northern Ireland Hearts and Minds programme:
    “It wasn’t Iris Robinson who determined that homosexuality was an
    abomination, it was the Almighty.

“This is the Scriptures and it is a strange world indeed where somebody on
    the one hand talks about equality, but won’t allow Christians to have the
    equality, the right to speak, the right to express their views.”

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/first-minister-peter-robinson-backs-wifes-view-that-gays-are-an-abomination-14023693.html?startindex=-1#ixzz2D09cz0Av

Several people were offended and reported the post, hence my point: do we follow the letter of the law or treat every post a scan individual case?

Several people were offended and reported the post, hence my point: do we follow the letter of the law or treat every post a scan individual case?
    I have explained the context of the post, but I accept where you are coming from.

Perhaps i should edit my post accordingly?

Just realised the article I linked makes no mention of curing homosexuality, but their viewpoint is well documented.

• Advertisement

But that's the point. I understand fully what you meant and what the DUP and that's why there was no need to do anything about that post. But others disagreed and felt that you deserve ed some form of punishment.

This is the thing about AH. We have to take each post on a case by case basis. We have to see what it a joke and what is genuinely offensive. Of course we'll get it wrong at times, but saying this is hypocrisy instead of human error is incredibly unfair.

But that's the point. I understand fully what you meant
    and what the DUP and that's why there was no need to do anything about that
    post. But others disagreed and felt that you deserve ed some form of punishment.
    If you understood what I meant, why did you call my comment homophobic in a previous post?
    This is the thing about AH. We have to take each post on a case by case basis.
    We have to see what it a joke and what is genuinely offensive. Of course we'll
    get it wrong at times, but saying this is hypocrisy instead of human error is
    incredibly unfair
    Fair enough, makes sense.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If you understood what I meant, why did you call my comment homophobic in a previous post?
    I was trying to drive home to point that without understanding that you're joking (which is never easy to tell online), you're comment was seen as homophobic.

Advertisement