Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hypocrisy of After Hours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There are some awfully joyless people out there. Life's a bitch. Sometimes the puns, the jokes, the wit are what make reading these awful news stories bearable. If you're that sensitive about people playing with words then a grown-ups' discussion forum probably isn't the place for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

This basically boils down to one OP being overly sensitive. He/she was banning people left and right for silly puns. I did a quick search of boards.ie for hurricane sandy and there are loads of threads making fun of the tragedy. I pointed out the very first link to the OP and his response was "meh, not my forum". Surely he should have taken the responsibility to contact other OPs.
    I'm sorry but one Irish woman who was injured by causes that were probably of her own doing does not compare to the amount of deaths and damage Sandy caused but that's ok to make fun of?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It was not so long ago that body parts were found on along the beach,
    The so call pun's started in the thread,
    How many Mod's can you count in this one Thread ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785238
    But never mind it's just someone's loved one.
    No AH mods posted in that thread and a grand total of 0 posts were reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

enda1 wrote: »
    Of course it makes sense :confused:
    If your brother dies, or if some kid in Ethiopia does, is your reaction the same?
    If a neighbour dies or if some American, is it the same I you?

Really how can people not understand that incidents which happen locally to the Irish community will be treated differently to a story from an emotionally removed land?
    If it's not someone you know why should it matter if they're in Ireland or not? Look how emotional people here still get over the Twin Towers etc. I'm sorry but I don't feel any more for them than I do the Chinese guy or the girl who lost her hands on the dart or the vet in Wales. Of course I mean that with all due respect to their families and loved ones. Also this isn't an argument in favour of allowing jokes and puns in AH at the expense of peoples tragedy but some consistency is in order. If such trivial things as "thinly veiled" can cracked down on, I don't see why a mention to not be dick when threads on such events occur wherever in the world that may be, can be included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not too sure where an issue with Mod action lies.

If anything, its that AH has members who post in a sub set of styles. The friction seems to be between them.

1- The Dicktits*
    2- The people who anticipate the Dicktits*
    3- The Trolls
    4- Those who just post along and engage within the topic
    5- Sexy dress for my sister spambots

Most people who post on AH are made up of the 4th group. But the people who make AH a nuisance the most are the first 2.

This thread has nothing to do with consideration towards others regarding threads that potentially have a sensitive topic. Its just people bickering to justify their existence.

* Dicktits a registered Trademark of Wibbs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Adyx wrote: »
    If it's not someone you know why should it matter if they're in Ireland or not? Look how emotional people here still get over the Twin Towers etc. I'm sorry but I don't feel any more for them than I do the Chinese guy or the girl who lost her hands on the dart or the vet in Wales. Of course I mean that with all due respect to their families and loved ones. Also this isn't an argument in favour of allowing jokes and puns in AH at the expense of peoples tragedy but some consistency is in order. If such trivial things as "thinly veiled" can cracked down on, I don't see why a mention to not be dick when threads on such events occur wherever in the world that may be, can be included.

People deal with tragedy via humour. If that kind of thing isn't to your taste, its a fairly simple exercise not to read it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

there is a world of difference between tasteless, personally offensive and just offensive.

I might dislike some of the AH humour because its tasteless but not everyone has my opinion.

I might find something personally offensive even if its not aimed at me directly but that doesnt mean its against the rules or not acceptable to other posters.

its the generally offensive and abusive posts that the mods are there to manage. report what you find offensive and let the mods decide if action is required.

I would add four more categories of poster to Dravokivich's list
    6 - those that post just to get a reaction, any reaction will do! just for Gods sake pay attention to me you unknown anonymous pixels!
    7 - those that just want to post and read and dont want to be hassled with reporting. If its offensive, wont read it. let someone else report it if they want.
    8 - those that will take offense at anything. literally anything. extreme posters will even take offense on someone else's behalf and then get offended that the affected party isnt as indignant as they are
    9 - those that pretend to be members of 8 but are in fact members of 1, 3 , 6 or all of those groups.

it is important to remember that the vast vast majority of users on boards.ie will read a lot more than they post. Its them that we need to cater for and its the percentage of those that feel compelled to contribute to the conversation with something a tad more meaningful and insightful than "me too!" or "ROFL" that we need to encourage.

If you want the general tone/consideration of AH to go up, post better threads and offer better points of view. Dont wait for someone else to do it. Do it yourself. Ignore the trolls, avoid the trench warfare, report the thread wreckers.

if you spot something that you think could be offensive or illegal then report it. The mods will decide and if they arent sure then there's cmods and admins and mods of other forums to consult with and offer advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nodin wrote: »
    People deal with tragedy via humour. If that kind of thing isn't to your taste, its a fairly simple exercise not to read it.
    If I'm honest I'm not bothered either way and I try to avoid those types of threads for the most part anyway specifically because this crap always turns up. My point is if that kind of humour isn't going to be allowed for local events (and I can't see this changing), then it shouldn't be allowed for further afield happenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I know if one of my family members died in a tragedy the first thing I'd be doing is hanging around after hours to check nobody was joking about it. The funeral could wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    I know if one of my family members died in a tragedy the first thing I'd be doing is hanging around after hours to check nobody was joking about it. The funeral could wait.

it may suprise you to learn that the grief felt at the passing of a loved one tends to last beyond the closing words of a funeral for some people.

Also, people tend to search to check that funeral notices etc are posted correctly and, in the case of public figures or circumstances that attract large media attention, to ensure that immediate family can avoid being exposed to any disturbing material coming up to the day. its generally deemed that they have enough on their minds as it is. Quite a few public and some private individuals employ companies that use web scrapers to automatically search for references to the individual and forward on a link to the reference as well as a snippet of text as a preview. Given the emotional state, I would guess that this service is not usually turned off before the funeral takes place or even imemdiately afterward. So, while the person may not be hanging around AH they may be checking their loved one's email account only to find a new email with the comment from a forum post included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

seamus wrote: »
    There's a formula for this, it's much like gravity.

The scale of a tragedy is proportional to the amount of devastation and inverse to the distance between the observer and the incident. So you can joke about ten people who die in a bombing in Jakarta, but if your next door neighbour is injured in a car crash, it's not funny.

It's human nature, no use whining about it.

It may be human nature but it does not mean that people cannot try and change other peoples attitudes for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

There are some awfully joyless people out there. Life's a bitch. Sometimes the puns, the jokes, the wit are what make reading these awful news stories bearable. If you're that sensitive about people playing with words then a grown-ups' discussion forum probably isn't the place for you anyway.

This is patronising ****, TBF.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This is patronising ****, TBF.

Excellent! That was the effect I was going for. Cheers for the feedback. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Excellent! That was the effect I was going for. Cheers for the feedback. :)

Patronising is easy to do, so errr, go you?

Patronising is easy to do, so errr, go you?

Why thank you! :)

All this positive reinforcement! Must be careful it doesn't start to go to my head.

ok, lets move this back on topic or let it float away please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

LoLth wrote: »
    ok, lets move this back on topic or let it float away please.

On that note, its at the stage where people are starting threads to mock "rolling tear" threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81662952#post81662952

For the love of god just move these threads on sight to the condolances forum.

CruelCoin wrote: »

For the love of god just move these threads on sight to the condolances forum.
    This.

What is the point of creating a condolance forum or stacks of other forums for that matter when threads are going to be started in AH no matter what the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

seamus wrote: »
    So you can joke about ten people who die in a bombing in Jakarta, but if your next door neighbour is injured in a car crash, it's not funny.
    You can't joke about a bombing in Jakarta, that's not funny. I mean really, I can't understand anyone who could crack a joke about something like that. It takes some doing to get crushed by a steamroller though so I see the potential there. Yes people died in both cases, but you don't see the Darwin Awards being banned for bad taste, because idiots being killed doing idiotic things is, at the end of the day, often hilarious.

• Advertisement

A thread has been opened in After Hours called "Is Clare Daly a Zombie?"

Is this not the sort of insulting behaviour that you are trying to crack down on?

I suppose it does not help your cause when one of the mods thanks the OP for opening a thread which is purely designed to insult and to mock.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81887379&postcount=1

Get over it.

Get over it.
    Circling the wagons?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It was a humorous observation, nothing more.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Circling the wagons?

What wagons? My opinion of how After Hours is modded has nothing to do with how I look after the forums under my name.

I just think you and Ares (OP of this thread) like to complain just for the sake of it.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    It was a humorous observation, nothing more.
    Is humour not the cornerstone of After Hours?

Why has this thread that you proclaim to be making a humerous observation been locked?

I dunno.

Zombies closed it?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I dunno.

Zombies closed it?
    I asked "why" not "who".

I said i dunno.

I didn't close it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is humour not the cornerstone of After Hours?

Why has this thread that you proclaim to be making a humerous observation been locked?
    No, humour is not the cornerstone of AH. But it's not a forum for posting any old random thoughts. The Clare Daly thread was a humorous observation. I'm sorry it caused you so much offence. By the way, should I ban you for that homophobic remark you made not long ago, or should I see it as the joke its meant to be?

Advertisement