Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we celebrate Guy Fawkes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

irish-stew wrote: »
    Over in London at the mo, and there has been fireworks going off all weekend in the parks and commons, acompanied by bonfires in some.

The above question was raised over lunch today, why dont we celebrate it. He was of course a catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament. I thought that kinda thing would be praised by some aspects of the irish community.

:pac:
    Maybe because what they are celebrating in the UK is that he failed, which is why they burn an effigy of him on the bonfire!
    Remember, remember, the 5th of November
    The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
    I see of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
    Should ever be forgot
    Hardly anything there for the Irish to celebrate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's also a great excuse for letting off rockets and having a knees up. After all when the culture went Protestant they lost most of the traditional religious holidays, so all saints' day would be right out and halloween would be a tad pagan for your more puritan types. Boxing day instead of st Stephen's day would be another example.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This Guy Fawkes dude had nothing to do with us. Morning ;-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Same reason we don't celebrate Bastille Day. It's nothing to fcuking do with us.

this.

...plus while I might like our neighbours to the east a lot , the whole burn-a-catholic in effigy thing still makes me a little uneasy, even if its old history.
    If they change it to burn-a-dummy-dressed-asJimmy-Saville-night though I'm all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I sometimes wonder do English people know we are a different country? I was asked last year why we didn't get a day off for the royal wedding. They should learn a little of their history.

Well founded opinion in fact as the Royal Wedding attracted apparently the entire watching republic TV viewers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Dr Bob wrote: »
    this.

...plus while I might like our neighbours to the east a lot , the whole burn-a-catholic in effigy thing still makes me a little uneasy, even if its old history.
    If they change it to burn-a-dummy-dressed-asJimmy-Saville-night though I'm all in.

They're burning Lance instead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227729/Bonfire-Night-Effigy-drugs-cheat-Lance-Armstrong-burned-stake.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Guy Fawkes is actually an awesome name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Dr Bob wrote: »
    this.

It started off with burning an effigy of the Pope, I thought that would be more AH style:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's threads like this that makes after hours insufferable these days. Why is this place so obsessed with Britain? Why does everything that country does have to be contexualised and examined for relevancy here? Why that one country and no place else on the planet?
    On the first two pages we've a thread about Poppie, a thread on Guy Fawkes, two on british footballers, another on Britains invasion history, one on a program about gambling in Britain, another on a British celebrity pedophile.

It's pathetic and ongoing. Just rename this board "British culture discussion" and give the rest of us a social board to talk about relevant things.

Geographical and political colonisation goes but minds remind colonised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

anncoates wrote: »
    Guy Fawkes is actually an awesome name.

Rather have Guy Knives :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

realies wrote: »
    Rather have Guy Knives :D;)

Or Gal Knives ?

Guy Fawkes and Gal Knives sounds likes two Bostan gangstas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

realies wrote: »
    This Guy Fawkes dude had nothing to do with us. Morning ;-)

Except the fact he tried to assassinate the King of Ireland. James being the King that united the three crowns of Scotland, England and Ireland - hence triple crown in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's threads like this that makes after hours insufferable these days. Why is this place so obsessed with Britain? Why does everything that country does have to be contexualised and examined for relevancy here? Why that one country and no place else on the planet?
    On the first two pages we've a thread about Poppie, a thread on Guy Fawkes, two on british footballers, another on Britains invasion history, one on a program about gambling in Britain, another on a British celebrity pedophile.

It's pathetic and ongoing. Just rename this board "British culture discussion" and give the rest of us a social board to talk about relevant things.

They're our next door neighbour and we're intrinsically linked with them whether some people like it or not. You got a problem? Start your own amazing and fascinating thread. I'm sure everyone will post in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

+1

Advertisement