Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we celebrate Guy Fawkes?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭

Over in London at the mo, and there has been fireworks going off all weekend in the parks and commons, acompanied by bonfires in some.

The above question was raised over lunch today, why dont we celebrate it. He was of course a catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament. I thought that kinda thing would be praised by some aspects of the irish community.

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

irish-stew wrote: »
    Over in London at the mo, and there has been fireworks going off all weekend in the parks and commons, acompanied by bonfires in some.

The above question was raised over lunch today, why dont we celebrate it. He was of course an Irish man who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament. I thought that kinda thing would be praised by some aspects of the irish community.

They burn an effigy of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Fawke knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Did somebody really ask you that? I don't think he was Irish anyway catholic but not Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 AgentOraiste

We irish dont give a Fawke

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

TheBody wrote: »

That represents his execution though, thought we could have taken on celebrating his attempts to blow the place up though.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

He wasnt Irish and they aint celebrating him they are celebrating killing him and its primarily a "fcuk Catholicism" kinda thing.

Not really our cup of tea I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The above question was raised over lunch today, why dont we celebrate it.He was of course a catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament. I thought that kinda thing would be praised by some aspects of the irish community.

They're celebrating that he was stopped, caught, tortured and executed, not that he nearly got away with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Sure lets celebrate Bastille day and Thanksgiving while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Did somebody really ask you that? I don't think he was Irish anyway catholic but not Irish.

Wikipedia says he was born in York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Because he was a Brit

Case closed

Thread=Damp Squib

• Advertisement

I sometimes wonder do English people know we are a different country? I was asked last year why we didn't get a day off for the royal wedding. They should learn a little of their history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

why dont we celebrate it.

Because he was english and he failed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Because he was a Brit

Case closed

Thread=Damp Squib

So was Patrick :)

Scioch wrote: »
    He wasnt Irish and they aint celebrating him they are celebrating killing him and its primarily a "fcuk Catholicism" kinda thing.

Not really our cup of tea I'd say.

I know it was to celebrate the killing off him, I was talking about an irish stance on the thing though. To correct my self though, got the religion/nationallty thing mixed up hence my quick edit.

I should really say at this point, I dont support terrorism, this thread is purely tounge in check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night

Its not really v for vendetta night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Scioch wrote: »
    its primarily a "fcuk Catholicism" kinda thing.

Yes, because all school kids who stuff straw and old newspapers into some old clothes on 5th November are actually expressing their anti Catholicism.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

philologos wrote: »
    So was Patrick :)

Patrick at least lived here and actually gave a toss about Ireland.

Fawkes was just and English Catholic who supported a Catholic king.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He was of course a catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament.

2 perfect reasons not to celebrate the nutter.

I know it was to celebrate the killing off him, I was talking about an irish stance on the thing though. To correct my self though, got the religion/nationallty thing mixed up hence my quick edit.

I should really say at this point, I dont support terrorism, this thread is purely tounge in check.

Why would we have any stance on it? Should we also celebrate the 8th May or Bastille day, its nothing to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Watched this

in celebration of today, only saw it first recently, awesome movie as hadnt a clue what to expect! :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Because he was a Brit

Case closed

Thread=Damp Squib

Interesting factoid: A squib is a firework, therefore the term 'Damp Squib' means a firework that doesn't go off. How apropos for the day that's in it.:)

Why would we have any stance on it? Should we also celebrate the 8th May or Bastille day, its nothing to do with us.

It wasn't a serious conversation, more of a p!sstake on the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Interesting factoid: A squib is a firework, therefore the term 'Damp Squib' means a firework that doesn't go off. How apropos for the day that's in it.:)

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

steve9859 wrote: »
    Yes, because all school kids who stuff straw into some old clothes on 5th November are actually expressing their anti Catholicism.....

Kids are stupid, they like fires and noise. The celebration itself is simply the left over fanfare of an anti catholic/burn the traitor to the crown crap.

Not really anything at all for Irish people to row in behind now is it ?.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's threads like this that makes after hours insufferable these days. Why is this place so obsessed with Britain? Why does everything that country does have to be contexualised and examined for relevancy here? Why that one country and no place else on the planet?
    On the first two pages we've a thread about Poppie, a thread on Guy Fawkes, two on british footballers, another on Britains invasion history, one on a program about gambling in Britain, another on a British celebrity pedophile.

It's pathetic and ongoing. Just rename this board "British culture discussion" and give the rest of us a social board to talk about relevant things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

The above question was raised over lunch today, why dont we celebrate it. He was of course a catholic who tried to blow up the Houses of Parlament. I thought that kinda thing would be praised by some aspects of the irish community.

Sounds like the kind of guy whos life should be celebrated :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 AgentOraiste

An Coilean wrote: »
    Sounds like the kind of guy whos life should be celebrated :D

Many who did similar things are known as terrorists and got jobs in Stormount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

TheBody wrote: »

Same reason we don't celebrate Bastille Day. It's nothing to fcuking do with us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Apparantly he was the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions.

Advertisement