Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a bike and how often do you ride?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Everyday to work and back, rain or shine (which is mostly shine atm) although I've done London for years. Weather is really only offputting for commutes over 10km otherwise as long as there is a nice hot shower in work it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Wibbs wrote: »
    Helmets? Pffft. I give you

Wait...I thought this thread was about sex? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I cycle to and from work most days. Its quite enjoyable in the summer and the weather is calm. I don't mind the rain too much. It's the wind that annoys me. Cycling against it going to work and against it on the way home too. Wtf? Sure does beat the bus with traffic and sweaty oul ones with tonnes of shopping though

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My bike got stolen in May so haven't had a good ride since. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Larianne wrote: »
    My bike got stolen in May so haven't had a good ride since. :(

Want a crossbar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I bought a really gorgeous city bike. With a wicker basket and everything.

I had visions of myself looking like this. When in reality I look like this. :(

PM sent ;)

I have cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

gurramok wrote: »
    Thing is I never get why some cyclists don't have back mudguards, ffs their backsides do be covered in muck, are they thick?!
    It discourages the Klingons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thing is I never get why some cyclists don't have back mudguards, ffs their backsides do be covered in muck, are they thick?!

Not allowed use them

Don't you know the rules?

There is a huge list of rules that every cyclist must follow

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Fitted new tyres and the b____ mudguard doesn't fit anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I have a bike with a flat tyre. Feckin' rubber always lets you down at the worst time.

So no ridin' for me. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have the use of a bike but i wouldn't go so far as to say I own her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Cycle everyday, but I live in Amsterdam.
    The cycling is one of the best things about the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Helmets? Pffft. I give you

Ah yes - the old University of Bath study. I have so many problems with this 'study'!

1. Conducted by one person. Hardly conclusive, but it is brought up the whole time by the more anti-helmet lobby in online discussions.
    2. Does the study measure his distance from the kerb? Could it be that when he was wearing no helmet that he was closer to cars than cars being close to him?
    3. Cars pass on average "4.4" foot away from him. However, on non-helmeted cycles, they pass 3 inches closer. In my opinion, that's so insignificant, it's not worth mentioning.
    4. The whole "study" seems like a moot point to me anyway. I would say that I've had cars pass uncomfortably close to me about 4 or 5 times ever. I'm currently commuting about 200km per week, most weeks, through Dublin. The things that threaten me more are cars pulling out of side roads ahead of me and pedestrians stepping onto the road in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I walk to work but cycle most evenings to and from the gym - wouldn't really consider it cycling to be honest its only a short journey!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah yes - the old University of Bath study. I have so many problems with this 'study'!
    Ahh TBH IM I feel the same way about it. I figure you wanna wear a helmet go right ahead and if you don't go right ahead too. I was about to type "go knock yourself out" but... So long as they don't make the damn things compulsory. It seems it would put more people off cycling. EG Melbourne has good cycling faciities and a hire a bike scheme, but since the powers that be insist on helmet use it's very under used. Personally speaking I'd not be arsed with one. I've come off bikes a lot in my time and never came close to hitting my head. Plus I'd have little faith in most of the helmets I've seen as far as protection goes in anything but a very light shunt. Helmets like horse riders wear? Yes. Superlight polystyrene foam with a thin placcy coating full of holes? Nope. Sorry.
    The things that threaten me more are cars pulling out of side roads ahead of me and pedestrians stepping onto the road in front of me.
    Pedestrians. Oh yea. Bad and stupid enough when they walk in front of a car, but many seem to think a bike won't hurt them. Thicks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Evidence? Go out on this coming New Years eve and observe many ladies in short skirts, bare legs and arms out and about in ensembles that would have Sir Ranulph Feinnes in tears in seconds, while men got up like eskimos dressed by The North Face(tm) shudder and extremities fall off..
    Women make better mountain climbers and Arctic explorers precisely because they have less extremities to get frostbitten *shudders at the thought*
    Middle aged men and lycra are words that rarely make good bedfellows.
    Jay Maynard *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Women make better mountain climbers and Arctic explorers precisely because they have less extremities to get frostbitten *shudders at the thought*

They have a higher % of body fat than guys.

*waits for backlash*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

OK which one of my kids are you OP? Yes I know I bought a bike to get fit, ..yes I know it's sat in the garage for the last year and a bit and used only about 10 times...yes I'm a fat lazy git.... do you want to stay in my will or not? up to you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

I dont own a bike and ride as often as the AH is willing:D

I dont own a bike and ride as often as the AH is willing:D

The hole whole of After Hours?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Have a mountain bike and a racer. Out on the racer more these recent years but crap wind, dark and cold these months not helping motivation. :( But usually id try and do 20 hard training miles per week. I try and involve howth hill to get some heat into me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Yes, cycle to and from work every day (yep, even in coldest January), go for exercise cycles on it, and sometimes use it to do groceries. So yeah, it gets a lot of use. I'm obsessed with my bike. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was out on the bike twice today

Went to lock it and had to go home to get the keys :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I love to cycle, but some feckers keep stealing my bikes (3 now). I'm not going to bother buying another.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I cycle too and from work every day and use it to get around if I'm heading shopping or to football, I got a new bike last year with the bike to work and i love it, I cant risk locking it in Dublin city center though with the amount of scumbags who rob bikes every day.

Only last week I was walking towards stephens green shopping centre past Wagamma's and there is a scumbag at a girls bike with a nice basket, I enquire if its his bike and he says ya, I said BS and told him to leave it alone
    I then proceed to take a seat outside Sinnots and wait and see if the owner comes back, In the mean time a Guard comes past and I mention it to said guard, he asks for a description of the scummer but I dont think he did anything, 15 mins later the girl who actually owned the bike came along.

I approached her and mentioned that there was a lad interfeering with her lock, sure enough there was some kit missing from the bike and her lock was a bit damaged. I'm sick to death of scummers robbing peoples hard earned bikes.

So anyway ya I cycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

To and from work every day, but there's not much involved on the way to work. Heart rate has just about returned to normal 25 minutes after getting in from the cycle home though. Says more about me than the journey however :P

Donegal is a bit too hilly for my liking cycle-wise though, would use the bike a lot more often if I lived in a flat area.

Advertisement