Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a bike and how often do you ride?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I'm slowly getting back into this riding game and I'm liking it, hadn't ridden in years. Do you ride much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Only sideways

I try to do it every day. Sometimes twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I always wear protection when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Don't own a bike but I ride whenever I can.

I like to ride my bicycle
    I like to ride my bike

I own a beautiful bike.
    I ride as often as possible.
    I don't cycle much though.

too easy OP. too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Try to get a leg over (the bar) everyday, though the pissing rain puts me off most mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

I don't own a bike, and the second part is a bit personal don't you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

More exciting without, though the ladies do seem to prefer a good quality helmet.

I also prefer tandem riding to solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Course. Sure you've got to protect your head

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I own a beautiful bike.
    I ride as often as possible.
    I don't cycle much though.
    Actually this is true for me too! :D

Even when I did cycle more I almost always avoided doing so in the fcuking awful Irish winter. Cos it's shíte and freezing and horrible. Yea those hardy self flagellating onanist types claim you heat up with the effort, but your face is still cold with snotters like a water clock at the end of your nose and fingers you could snap like a kitkat. Sod that crap.

PLus there's the gear. Cycling attracts almost as bad a set of fashion choices as golfing, particularly among middle aged men. Middle aged men and lycra are words that rarely make good bedfellows. Add in odd bobble hats topped with those safety carbuncles called bike helmets... *shudder*.

Now cycling down a glorious road in north Italy, bare headed, save for (non trending on Twatter) shades in good company and in late August with the promise of vino and good food at the end of it...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

bicycle or motorbike?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

Last time I rode a bike was on Inis Mór this summer. I hadn't ridden one before that in about 10 years. Within 5 minutes of starting cycling again I ended up a*se over tits over the handle bars, and after two days of it my legs were so crippled that I just couldn't do it anymore. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i dont have one at the moment, the last time i cycled was from the harolds cross end of leinster road to rathmines (downhill) had to walk back with my smokers chest

^^^

Man up Wibbs :). If you actually want to cycle then cycle, never mind the weather! I was warm while out in the pissings of rain today.

Clothes wise...illuminous jacket, gloves and shorts is all you need. There is no need to go overboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Think i'm a summer only rider, last cycled a month ago while on hols in the Everglades of Florida, was nice in the heat:) The Irish weather would put you off at times though, just getting belted with freezing rain is not appealing for cycling.

Thing is I never get why some cyclists don't have back mudguards, ffs their backsides do be covered in muck, are they thick?!

I have a lovely mountain bike at home in my parents' house. When I was 16/17 I whizzed all around county Wexford on it. Had it in Dublin a few times but the fear of being knocked down in traffic made me leave it in the shed all the time. Rats ate the tyres. Got new tyres, and left it in the shed still.

I take two buses into work every day, cycling would take half the time, though it's a long journey. I'm now more afraid of having the bike I never use nicked. Go figure.

Thinking of getting the old bike back now anyway. I was always super fit as a teen/early 20s and I miss that.

I bought a really gorgeous city bike. With a wicker basket and everything.

I had visions of myself looking like this. When in reality I look like this. :(

Jesus Whoopsy!

benwavner wrote: »
    Jesus Whoopsy!

Ok, ok, so I don't use stabilisers. But still :P

• Advertisement

Ok, ok, so I don't use stabilisers. But still :P

Get a set of Frosties reflecters and handlebar streamers and you are sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Don't cycle anymore what since the Celtic Tiger when I traded my racer for a GTI when I started my apprenticeship.
    Would never go back and have great respect for those who can't afford a car and must cycle to work. Those are the real people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Did you eat the basket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I cycle...was out early this morning, it was 5 degrees and it took me nearly 15kms before i warmed up properly but was perfectly warm and comfortable after that (done approx 40kms)

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Did you eat the basket?

And the girl on the other bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Wibbs wrote: »
    Even when I did cycle more I almost always avoided doing so in the fcuking awful Irish winter. Cos it's shíte and freezing and horrible. Yea those hardy self flagellating onanist types claim you heat up with the effort, but your face is still cold with snotters like a water clock at the end of your nose and fingers you could snap like a kitkat. Sod that crap.

PLus there's the gear. Cycling attracts almost as bad a set of fashion choices as golfing, particularly among middle aged men. Middle aged men and lycra are words that rarely make good bedfellows. Add in odd bobble hats topped with those safety carbuncles called bike helmets... *shudder*.

Crikey, it's rarely THAT cold in Dublin. And if you've any flexibility about your time of leaving home/leaving work/going out on the bike, you rarely get caught in a shower. I wear the plastic trousers only ten or so times a year.
    Clothes wise...illuminous jacket, gloves and shorts is all you need. There is no need to go overboard.

And fluorescent jacket? SHORTS?? Wear your normal clothes: coat/jacket, gloves, hat as you would for walking in winter. Most of us wear the clothes we're going to be wearing for work/rest of day and don't get changed. I don't wear a helmet either, on the principle that cars are more careful with ordinary decent cyclists than the lycra-clad get-out-of-my-cycleracetrack lads. But then I'm a woman, and just use the bike to get around. :rolleyes:

TLDR: Yes I own a bike and use it most days.

And fluorescent jacket? SHORTS?? Wear your normal clothes: coat/jacket, gloves, hat as you would for walking in winter. Most of us wear the clothes we're going to be wearing for work/rest of day and don't get changed. I don't wear a helmet either, on the principle that cars are more careful with ordinary decent cyclists than the lycra-clad get-out-of-my-cycleracetrack lads. But then I'm a woman, and just use the bike to get around. :rolleyes:

TLDR: Yes I own a bike and use it most days.

I'm a commuter cyclist on a road bike. I do 22 miles about 3-5 times a week and have the luxury of a shower in work. I have started to cycle longer spins lately, 64km this evening but do not class myself as a "cyclist".

I wear a tshirt with an Altura illuminous jacket over it, and a pair of shorts, gloves and a helmet.........whatever the weather.

This is a load of BS
    :
    "I don't wear a helmet either, on the principle that cars are more careful with ordinary decent cyclists than the lycra-clad get-out-of-my-cycleracetrack lads

When I drive I respect all cyclists whatever their attire or apparent skill level!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

^^^

Man up Wibbs :). If you actually want to cycle then cycle, never mind the weather
    !Ah yes but the weather informs the act. To compare to another physical activity? Sure if pushed I'll go for a leg trembler in an alleyway at closing out time. If needs must, however give me a bed any day of the week.
    I was warm while out in the pissings of rain today.
    You had my attention up until "pissings of rain". Oh I like a stroll in the rain, where I meet the rain at a speed that is natural. Intentionally increasing that speed into it, not so much.
    Luminous is a step to far for a start. For me to want to cycle in the depths of an Irish winter I'd consider wearing this if Campagnolo made one.. In charcoal black.
    Crikey, it's rarely THAT cold in Dublin.
    It is for me. Nearly 4% Neandertal DNA and yet when the temps drop below 18 degrees I cease to function well. Can't explain myself in this climate at all.
    I wear the plastic trousers only ten or so times a year.
    "Plastic trousers ten times a year" There are underground clubs for your sort JC. Perverts I say!!. :D
    But then I'm a woman, and just use the bike to get around. :rolleyes:
    Aha! There's the explanation. Women are hardier souls than men. They're just quiet about it. Evidence? Go out on this coming New Years eve and observe many ladies in short skirts, bare legs and arms out and about in ensembles that would have Sir Ranulph Feinnes in tears in seconds, while men got up like eskimos dressed by The North Face(tm) shudder and extremities fall off..

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Helmets? Pffft. I give you

• Advertisement

^^^

Wibbs...I agree with all your points!

Advertisement