Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Documentary on The Famine

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭brosy

SeaFields wrote: »
    Prof Smyth was the best lecturer i ever had. He is very approachable and enthusiastic about is subject matter. If you could meet with him to discuss stuff i am sure he would be very accommodating.
    I was actually also told by another person that he would be the best man to get in contact with. Will be doing so shortly. Thanks for response

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

brosy wrote: »
    I was actually also told by another person that he would be the best man to get in contact with. Will be doing so shortly. Thanks for response

Dr Larry Geary in the School of History in UCC would be the local Cork expert on the Great Famine. Might be worth dropping him an email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭shy_boy

Dont know if this has already been said, there is a famine ship in Co, wexford thats a big tourist attraction called The Dunbrody Famine Ship sorry if its already been said

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP

I remember visiting the national archives to see the prison + workhouse lists for the famine years for Kilmainham Gaol ,Dublin.
    All hand ledgers written in copperplate + faded ink - the names,religion,occupation , agez + deaths or sentance- tasmania for life, deportation, 3 years hard labour fkf steali.g a chicken...etc. Really well worth a look.

As is the replica famine ship in the Ulster Folk + Heritage Park ( or whatever they csll it now). It will give you a chilling insight into conditions that no book can convey. About 2 hours from Dublin up past Omagh.

Advertisement