Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Documentary on The Famine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

brosy wrote: »
    @Rhys, I am also of the opinion that it was a systematic genocide operating under the term of the Free Market or Laisse Faire economics. Thanks for links
    A report was published a few years previously which called for collectivization of farms, as there were so many small ones things werent as profitable as they could be for the landlords, especially with the increased competition from places like America. Conveniently just a few years later there was a famine coupled with a whole raft of new laws which made it easier to evict people. Most notoriously the poor law which forced anyone who wanted aid from the govt to give up their land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

OP,I dont know how much research you have done but this was Genocide of the Irish by the British.It suited the Brits to just call it 'The Famine'.There was a lot of food exported at the time.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-great-irish-famine-was-genocide/18156

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_gorta_Mor.jpg

There is also a great book here.

http://corkuniversitypress.com/Atlas_of_the_Great_Irish_Famine_/357/

Can you elaborate - I followed the first link but it didn't make any sense to me. It didn't say what the British did, just that it was 'a policy of mass starvation in Ireland'.

Did they come over and burn Irish fields or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

The British exchequer spent a total of £9.5million on famine relief from 1845-49. It is estimated that over £30 million was needed to prevent large scale death.

By contrast Britain spent over £69 million on the futile Crimean War (1853-56)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

This angle might be interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Long-March-Choctaws-Famine-Relief/dp/1582460655/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352049625&sr=1-10&keywords=the+irish+famine
    It's about how the Native American's gave us money during the Famine.
    Btw, I wish people would not come out with sentences like 'The British didn't do anything' blah blah. Don't you make accusations you can't support. If you read up on it, you'd know different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

UCDVet wrote: »
    Can you elaborate - I followed the first link but it didn't make any sense to me. It didn't say what the British did, just that it was 'a policy of mass starvation in Ireland'.

Educate yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

brosy wrote: »
    ^^^^^Will definitely check that out. Always good to get a 'foreign' perspective

Why so?

This angle might be interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Long-March-Choctaws-Famine-Relief/dp/1582460655/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352049152&sr=1-9&keywords=The+Irish
    It's about how the Native American's gave us money during the Famine.
    Btw, I wish people would not come out with sentences like 'The British didn't do anything' blah blah. Don't you make accusations you can't support. If you read up on it, you'd know different.

Choctaw Nation donation is mentioned here, scroll down the page:

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/American_Donations

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That has been completley disproven, in fact there is no evidence that the Turks sent any help at all.

Disputed but not disproved afaik.

They're making a film about it so it must be true =p

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/ottoman-aid-to-ireland-in-19th-century-to-be-pictured-at-screen-with-famine-21672

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

phoenix999 wrote: »
    As has been pointed out by some historians, one simply has to ask if the famine was occurring in Lancashire, England, would the Government have adopted the same policy? And the answer is always a big NO. But Ireland was out of sight and out of mind to the elite in London. Robert Peel tried his best to feed the starving and paid the price by being thrown out of office. Trevelyan was the real culprit and said it was 'God's judgement' on the lazy Irish. His policies led to huge loss of life.

It was policy in London at the time to drive down the populations in Ireland and Scotland and to boost the population of England so they would always dominate the Union.

The Ressurection of Hungary documents it fairly well.

Disputed but not disproved afaik.

They're making a film about it so it must be true =p

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/ottoman-aid-to-ireland-in-19th-century-to-be-pictured-at-screen-with-famine-21672

Looks interesting, but the Amount sent by the Sultan was not £10,000 as incorrectly stated in the article, but £1,000. The reason being that no single individual was allowed to give more than the donation given by Queen Victoria (I.e. £2,000). Coz you would be showing up the monarch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The British are fully aware of their actions at the time.Otherwise Tony Blair would not have made this half hearted apology(link below).Potato blight was only part of the problem.The boats were queueing up to export food out of the country.

Food was being exported through ports in the worst hit areas of the country and was being brought to the ships under armed guard.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/blair-issues-apology-for-irish-potato-famine-1253790.html

Zebra3 wrote: »

It was policy in London at the time to drive down the populations in Ireland and Scotland and to boost the population of England so they would always dominate the Union.

The Ressurection of Hungary documents it fairly well.

Ironically, Ireland was one of the most heavily populated small countries in Europe at that time. Had bigger population than the Benelux countries combined. Alas no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Just saw a great book, Atlas of the Irish Famine.
    €59 but it's enormous !
    Should give you plenty of inspiration OP, Christine Kenealy is one of the contributors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate yourself.

If someone is going to make a controversial claim on the internet; it's not at all unreasonable to ask them to justify it.

Telling me to educate myself implies that this is not a controversial claim and that any research I did would substantiate it. That's not the case here.

Historians who dedicate their life to studying such things don't agree that it was genocide. In fact, from my 'self education', it would seem that the MAJORITY do not consider it genocide.

I'm always happy enough to listen to someone else's opinion, it's quite possible I would agree that it was genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate yourself.

Should he also look up "overpopulation"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Chinasea wrote: »
    Why so?

To escape bias, an Irish person looking at it will usually say not enough was done and their British counterpart will say plenty was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

She did a lot more than you think:

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Letter_of_Queen_Victoria

Yes she donated £2,000. To put that in perspective a single dinner held for her in Dublin Castle in 1849 cost £5,000.

Yes she donated £2,000. To put that in perspective a single dinner held for her in Dublin Castle in 1849 cost £5,000.

And her public appeal raised over £170,000. A second appeal raised over £60000. Tens of millions at current valuations. I suppose she deserves no credit for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

MadsL wrote: »

Why? Serious question, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And her public appeal raised over £170,000. A second appeal raised over £60000. I suppose she deserves no credit for that?

In fairness it was England's job to provide help to one of its colonies.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »

See my previous posts in the thread. She was a constitutional monarch. It was her inept ministers who made the poor decisions. She had a lot more sympathy towards the Irish than Russell, Trevelyan and his cronies.

And her public appeal raised over £170,000. A second appeal raised over £60000. Tens of millions at current valuations. I suppose she deserves no credit for that?

Yes, fair play to the richest woman on Earth for taking the time to sit down to write two letters, the Irish people really should acknowledge the effort she went to in that endeavor as millions of her subjects starved to death.

For the record I believe the figure actually came to less than £200,000 as the 2nd letter was much less successful.

Yes, fair play to the richest woman on Earth for taking the time to sit down to write two letters, the Irish people really should acknowledge the effort she went to in that endeavor as millions of her subjects starved to death.

For the record I believe the figure actually came to less than £200,000 as the 2nd letter was much less successful.

Put whatever twist you want on it. The money was raised and it was substantial. And as I already pointed out, the governments response in all aspects was woefully inadequate. They should have spent three times what they actually did. What exactly could she have done? She wasn't deciding government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

'You say Potato, I say potato.' Fuck.

Put whatever twist you want on it. The money was raised and it was substantial. And as I already pointed out, the governments response in all aspects was woefully inadequate. They should have spent three times what they actually did. What exactly could she have done? She wasn't deciding government policy.

Well she could have donated far more for a start. Her donation made up 0.1% of her personal wealth. That is not a sum that deserves praise when it was her own subjects who were starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

steddyeddy wrote: »

Ireland wasn't a colony. It was a full part of the united kingdom and legally an irishman was the equal of a scot or englishman.

Well she could have donated far more for a start. Her donation made up 0.1% of her personal wealth. That is not a sum that deserves praise when it was her own subjects who were starving.

Well I think it was the government that advised her what to donate in the first place. But no doubt we both agree that enough wasn't done. And people starved needlessly as a result. I save most of my bile for Trevelyan who knew what was happening on the ground. And Victoria foolishly Knighted him for his so called 'efforts' to relieve famine. An insult to all those that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If someone is going to make a controversial claim on the internet; it's not at all unreasonable to ask them to justify it.

Telling me to educate myself implies that this is not a controversial claim and that any research I did would substantiate it. That's not the case here.

Historians who dedicate their life to studying such things don't agree that it was genocide. In fact, from my 'self education', it would seem that the MAJORITY do not consider it genocide.

I'm always happy enough to listen to someone else's opinion, it's quite possible I would agree that it was genocide.

Of course it was genocide.

People were left to die because it was in Ireland.

If it was England it would have dealt with in an entirely different matter.

England had spent a long time "pacifying" Ireland. The blight was a gift for them to exploit.

MadsL wrote: »

Is Holland over populated?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    legally an irishman was the equal of a scot or englishman.

Bollocks!

Advertisement