Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most important city on Earth.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Has to be London or New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Silicon Valley is a good shout. Look at the amount of griping when people lost their tech in NY because they had no power. Our dependence is a little scary!

I would think Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and Dubai are pretty important for their oil production?...though from reports with all of the fracking the US are doing currently, they will likely surpass Saudi Arabia as the worlds leading oil producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

So rich people like London. Of course they do, it's a tax haven for rich people. And the quality of life is absolutely terrible for everybody else. Its political and cultural influence? Is that a joke? Do the respondents think that the world watches British TV, and British movies? Ludicrous. If you do watch the BBC, which is good but not great, a lot of the most watched TV is American. America leads in TV, music, Cinema, software.

Education? Britain's best universities are not in London either.

I am still waiting to see what the city actually produces.

I had a great quality of life in london, have you ever lived there? free museums, affordable restaurants, vast parklands, cycle routes, cheap public transport etc.

Univeristies, what about UCL and Imperial College, which are both in the top ten globally?

Nobody watches London films though, must be why Harry Potter, James Bond(filmed mainly in studios in London and it's surrounding areas) etc do so badly. Same for TV shows such as Downton Abbey etc

And as for London music, nobody listens to Coldplay(founded in London), The Rolling Stones, Blur, David Bowie, Queen, The Who etc....

So rich people like London. Of course they do, it's a tax haven for rich people. And the quality of life is absolutely terrible for everybody else.

If that's the criteria you can rule out anywhere in the US and the entirety of the 'developing world' (including China). In fact you could narrow it straight down to western Europe tbh, which would leave London, Paris or maybe Berlin.

Is that actually what you are trying to say, or do you have some other point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

So rich people like London. Of course they do, it's a tax haven for rich people. And the quality of life is absolutely terrible for everybody else.

Thats just clearly uninformed nonsense. I moved over from Dublin a year ago, and my quality of life is great. Easily the equivalent of Dublin IMO, but with more to do in terms of shows, museums, restaurants etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

What's so amazing about New York?
    Its just a big city where everyone wears too much make up, has too much money and everyone is very rude to everyone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

steve9859 wrote: »
    27 Dublin59.5

Not surprised, but good to see it registering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Explain to me what is London the centre of ......

It manufactures nothing.

The Park Royal area of West London produces one third of the food consumed in London.

Thats enough to feed the entire population of the Republic of Ireland. (And probably includes some of the chips on your shoulder).

Source:

Source summary:

Supermarket sandwiches, upmarket steak and kidney pies, rich tea biscuits, chilli and lemon flavoured crisps, ethnic ready meals, spring rolls, organic rye bread and hummus are all made here.

In total, there are 489 different food companies that operate on this 1,800-acre site. And between them, they employ more than 15,000 people and manufacture a third of all the food consumed in one of Europe's largest capitals.

Lapin wrote: »
    The Park Royal area of West London produces one third of the food consumed in London.

Thats enough to feed the entire population of the Republic of Ireland. (And probably includes some of the chips on your shoulder).

Source:

Source summary:

Supermarket sandwiches, upmarket steak and kidney pies, rich tea biscuits, chilli and lemon flavoured crisps, ethnic ready meals, spring rolls, organic rye bread and hummus are all made here.

In total, there are 489 different food companies that operate on this 1,800-acre site. And between them, they employ more than 15,000 people and manufacture a third of all the food consumed in one of Europe's largest capitals.

Buhhh?? So London is important for itself? Without London, the people of London would go hungry...

• Advertisement

What's so amazing about New York?
    Its just a big city where everyone wears too much make up, has too much money and everyone is very rude to everyone else...

Too much make up? Never noticed that...

Also too much money??? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

People are rude alright, I'll give you that one.

The subject is discussed here: http://moreintelligentlife.com/node/3756

Although the Economist is a British magazine so you might want to take their conclusion with a pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Too much make up? Never noticed that...

Also too much money??? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

People are rude alright, I'll give you that one.

I think the Irish mistake apathy for rudeness when we are abroad. How friendly people are in another country is always something we comment on.

That along with the weather and the price of a pint are generally the barometer for how good a place is. Well I don't go abroad to make friends so I generally stay out of the locals ways.

Those times where I have interacted with the locals in NY, Paris and London, I have always found them to be very friendly indeed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Buhhh?? So London is important for itself? Without London, the people of London would go hungry...

But London isn't the only market for goods produced in Park Royal.

There is a good chance that some of the food items in your kitchen will have been produced there.

Either way the link I provided above shoots down Duggy's Housmate's ludicrous claim that London produces nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

summerskin wrote: »
    or maybe this, where London is second?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401

"The Global Cities Index 2010
    In this second collaboration between Foreign Policy, A.T. Kearney, and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, we bring you the world's top global cities.
    Rank City Rank by Population Rank by GDP
    1 New York 6 2
    2 London 28 5
    Meh, Cork isn't even on that list. Must be something wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So rich people like London. Of course they do, it's a tax haven for rich people. And the quality of life is absolutely terrible for everybody else. Its political and cultural influence? Is that a joke? Do the respondents think that the world watches British TV, and British movies? Ludicrous. If you do watch the BBC, which is good but not great, a lot of the most watched TV is American. America leads in TV, music, Cinema, software.

Education? Britain's best universities are not in London either.

Woss yer problem me old china innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

biko wrote: »
    Meh, Cork isn't even on that list. Must be something wrong with it.

There's a lot wrong with Cork to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

AH is funny :D

If there's a thread about the greatest country in the world, half the posts tell you which country is, and the other half tell you that England/UK isn't.

With this thread, it seems to be half the posts mentioning Cork and the other half telling you that London is a kip.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

The most important city is whichever one I am in or closest to. New York is definitely over rated. The media knew (as did everyone else in the country) that New York was not prepared for a storm like this. The result isn't pretty but that is the sort of thing our media reports on. Then when it has pointed out the obvious downfalls it attempts to lay blame. It is the common people that have reached out and made the most effort to help. We need to see more stories that are uplifting not ones that point out the problems. Shoving a mic in the face of someone standing in line with their gas can as the guy in front takes the last drip of gas is not helpful. Asking them that since they haven't any gasoline for their generator will they be cold that night is even less helpful. If it was me I might knock him in his empty heads and make off with his news van. Surprised it hasn't happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Kilmuckridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

9959 wrote: »
    Kilmuckridge

Nah Borris In Ossory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

<
    Everyone likes muff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

steve9859 wrote: »
    Seriously, anyone who genuinely thinks that has got to take that chip off their shoulder....
    No chip. It's just a horrible, grey and most unfriendly city.

Dublin is grey too but at least the locals there are hospitable. Not like the cold, aloof Landaners.

Advertisement