Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most important city on Earth.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Kilkenny, enough said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I've been to Paradise ... but I've never been ta Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

eth0 wrote: »
    It would definitely change things but we wouldn't just die for lack of electric kettles. There is probably a second hand surplus of them in people's attics to keep us going for a year or 2, just you wouldn't be rushing off to buy a different colour one to match the new kitchen cause the few left in shop will be fairly expensive.

I would. I'm so dependant on caffeine I wouldn't last waiting for water to boil over a fire!

And if a nuclear bomb landed on Cork I would die from a lack of Lennox's and Barrys tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Cork city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

my my my wrote: »
    berlin or Cork

Choose. Carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

New York. In years to come with their economy one of the Asian megacities will take the mantle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Culture: Los Angeles.

Technology: San Diego.

Economics: New York or Shanghai

Politics: Washington or Beijing.

International Relations: Jerusalem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sock City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

power city

great bargains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

In economic terms it's either London or New York since Tokyo seems to have declined quite a lot recently. You could probably make an argument for Shanghai but not for a few years yet.

Basically 'world cities' are the only ones in contention so the likes of Mumbai, Singapore, Sao Paolo, Beijing, Mexico City and maybe Hong Kong would be on the next rung down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

power city

great bargains
    I prefer euro 2 city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Technology: San Diego.

Technology wise San Francisco/Sim Valley maybe, not San Diego really, ESRI are the only mega company I can think of down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Washington DC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Cork [∞]

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Termonfeckin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Technology wise San Francisco/Sim Valley maybe, not San Diego really, ESRI are the only mega company I can think of down there.

Isn't San Jose the hub of silicon valley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

kowloon wrote: »

It's generally considered that silicon valley = Santa Clara valley. But the whole peninsula has a claim. In effect the Bay area is a in many ways single metropolitan area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The Bay Area of California

Hong Kong

New York Metro area

Tokyo

Kiltimagh :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BosWash because it will become Mega-City One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

kowloon wrote: »

No. Palo Alto/Cupertino is. San Jose is mostly like Swords lets say. Residential/commercial. The industry is out of town.

The answer is London - by a wide margin.

Aside: I had no idea so many Cork people used boards!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No. Palo Alto/Cupertino is. San Jose is mostly like Swords lets say. Residential/commercial. The industry is out of town.

The answer is London - by a wide margin.

Aside: I had no idea so many Cork people used boards!!!!

Was over there for training, but I never had much of a clue about exactly where I was. Industrial estates everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Just follow the money. The most important city on earth currently is New York, followed by London.

If all the institutions that are located there were destroyed, there would be global chaos. Thankfully since Y2K most have off site backups.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Aside: I had no idea so many Cork people used boards!!!![/QUOTE

I voted Cork, I'm not from there.

I just like annoying......other cities :D

Historically, it's Rome.. That city has influenced the world far more than any other in history between empires and religion.

Currently, it's probably New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Mexico City is the most populous on earth, Damascus is one of the oldest, Seoul is probably the most technologically advanced, New York is probably the most economically important (for now). I'd probably say Ulaanbaatar though, because I like the name :P

Tokyo is the biggest urban area in the world which is all that really matters.

Different countries have different criteria fir city boundaries thus it's not a suitable parameter on which to judge.

Even if it were actual city size versus urban area, Mexico still wouldn't be number 1.

Using common sense and cutting through all the crap, Tokyo is the biggest city in the world by a good distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Historically, it's Rome.. That city has influenced the world far more than any other in history between empires and religion.

Currently, it's probably New York.

I agree Rome....or Trim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Dirty aul Dublin. Dark Dublin. Bloody Dublin. Deadly Dublin. Rainy Dublin. Dark aul Dublin. Dublin Dark, ruddy dark Dublin. Dublin of Death. Dublin wept. Dublin puddles, Dublin lights. Dublin of love and Dublin of hate. Dark Dublin. Hate Dublin. Skin Dublin. Clothes Dublin. Dark Dublin. Love Dublin. Dublin lips. Dublin teeth. Dirty aul Dublin. Dark Dublin. Love Dublin.

Final answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

London or New York ... Either would be disastrous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Cashel

Even a Clareman like Brian Boru knew that Tipp was the place to be :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    New York....I think the reason it's been shown so much is that we are used to seeing stuff like that happen to New York in films, so to see it for real is actually more shocking than if they show some unknown town in America.

Cuba got destroyed by the storm.... You would be hard pushed to hear about it anywhere.

Advertisement