Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people care more about lizards than anything else!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The whole cat family, and cobras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Was always a huge lizard fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The whole cat family, and cobras.
    Dunno what cat taste like but I can tell ya what a cobra taste like
    Delicious!!!! Bit boney though

My favourite animal(not to eat) would be dog and my Harris hawk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Viviparous Lizard is the one native to Ireland.If you tread carefully on the boardwalks in Glendalough during spring/summer you might see them out basking in the sunshine.We have smooth newts too,very rare you'll see one though.

I'd say that charity are busy,tonnes of ignorant people buy baby snakes/lizards/turtles from pet shops who don't care who they sell them to,they grow and need bigger tanks/equipment/food and people get fed up with them.

I know the reputable staff like Ben in Reptile Haven in Temple Bar or Thomas in Boardwalk Pets try to educate their customers on the needs of what they want before selling it to them.The majority of big chain pet stores don't give a toss,unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This is the little fella living in my back garden.

• Advertisement

Dunno what cat taste like but I can tell ya what a cobra taste like
    Delicious!!!! Bit boney though

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 raggedyman

Hippopotamuses are my favorite. They're graceful and they're mean as all get-out, plus it's a fun word to say.

Here's my porch lizard. Just a local lizard that moved in next to the kitchen porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Arctic Fox, hopefully our winters get much colder and they can live here.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Arctic Fox, hopefully our winters get much colder and they can live here.

Oh yes, hopefully. Just what we need - even colder winters! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

mandrake04 wrote: »
    This is the little fella living in my back garden.
    That's a Berber skink by the look of it
    Take it you don't live in Ireland?
    unless that's your own pet lizard?

• Advertisement

That's a Berber skink by the look of it
    Take it you don't live in Ireland?
    unless that's your own pet lizard?

Its not a Skink its a Blue Tongue Lizard, I live in Sydney. Its not a pet although I do feed it a bit of cat food, it usually eats all the slugs and snails in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh yes, hopefully. Just what we need - even colder winters! :P

Worth it to see this beauty, even then, it would be a rare sight.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

K-9 wrote: »
    Worth it to see this beauty, even then, it would be a rare sight.

Hopefully with warmer summers we'll see Ring-Tailed Lemurs swinging from the trees in Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

There is actually a lizard species native to Ireland, or at least they are out there living in the wild. Extremely rare these days though unfortunately. I think you can find them up around the West or North.

Never seen one myself. I heard there's a colony of English slow worms in the Burren, apparently they're protected despite being non-native (I guess they must be non-invasive)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There is actually a lizard species native to Ireland, or at least they are out there living in the wild. Extremely rare these days though unfortunately. I think you can find them up around the West or North.

The common lizard lives out west. Was lucky enough to see one while at the Cliffs of Moher at the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I like lizards but I wouldn't choose to keep one as a pet.

I have seen lots of lizard-like creatures down around the lighthouse at Mizen Head several times - I couldn't say whether they were newts or lizards though.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Its not a Skink its a Blue Tong'ue Lizard, I live in Sydney. Its not a pet although I do feed it a bit of cat food, it usually eats all the slugs and snails in the back garden.

It is a skink though, the tiliqua genus is in the skink family, we call them blue-tongue skinks over here. There's one in one of our local petshops

Check this out - http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21047

And this adorable video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58u6OMsDFQ

Demonique wrote: »
    It is a skink though, the tiliqua genus is in the skink family, we call them blue-tongue skinks over here. There's one in one of our local petshops

Check this out - http://www.bluetongueskinks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21047

Ok I thought the skinks were the really small ones that my wife's cat catches and brings into the house, they drop their tails as a decoy when stressed and run away and hide while the stupid cat is sitting watching a moving tail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

9959 wrote: »
    Hopefully with warmer summers we'll see Ring-Tailed Lemurs swinging from the trees in Stephen's Green.
    They've made it as far north as Foto Island already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Lapin wrote: »
    My favourite animal is a rare to medium cooked steak.

If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them outta meat.

When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University - Ralph Wiggum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Demonique wrote: »

Great video thanks for posting that.

Voting ends tomorrow! Any votes will help!

Advertisement