Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people care more about lizards than anything else!

Options
  • 02-11-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Look what's winning this charity vote thing, one of my aunts was bitching about it this morning the miserable old goat.

http://bettertogether.ie/content/shiny-happy-lizards

I didn't even know there were reptile charities in Ireland

So, what's everyone's favourite type of animal? I like wee baby turtles and horses myself

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My favourite animal is a rare to medium cooked steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

Lapin wrote: »
    My favourite animal is a rare to medium cooked steak.

If we're going to be talking about tastiest animals, my vote goes to the camel

Absolutely delicious the only time I had it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ninja Turtles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I dreamed that a cow ate a pig and I ate the cow....mmmmmmmmmmmm, moolicious....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Demonique wrote: »

I asked for that in Egypt and the waiter got the hump with me.

• Advertisement

I dreamed that a cow ate a pig and I ate the cow....mmmmmmmmmmmm, moolicious....

That made me think of turducken - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Look what's winning this charity vote thing, one of my aunts was bitching about it this morning the miserable old goat.

So, what's everyone's favourite type of animal? I like wee baby turtles and horses myself

What the issue with them? I have been voting for them all along. In fact according to another thread I may be more evolved for having one as a pet

Those charities do a great job, I rescued my own dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

There is actually a lizard species native to Ireland, or at least they are out there living in the wild. Extremely rare these days though unfortunately. I think you can find them up around the West or North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

I thought this thread was going to be about David Icke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What would you prefer though? 10 baby turtle size horses, or one horse sized baby turtle?

My favourite animal is the corncrake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There is actually a lizard species native to Ireland, or at least they are out there living in the wild. Extremely rare these days though unfortunately. I think you can find them up around the West or North.
    Yep, this wee fella visited me in the summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Lizards prevented me from being eaten alive by mosquitoes when I was a kid. So they're awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

keith16 wrote: »
    What....

My favourite animal is the corncrake.

Must have been a bit awkward to mash it into a bowl before adding milk and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did you try the toe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

9959 wrote: »
    Must have been a bit awkward to mash it into a bowl before adding milk and sugar.

That wasn't even the worst part, went to get milk from the fridge and there was none :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't like reptiles... They freak me out...
    Reptiles and arachnids...

I like cats and squirrels...
    And also hedgehogs!

That's too vague! I love to own a horse because I love the whole horsey scene, the competing and all. But I cannot resist a kitten, they are the more irresistible creatures ever. But a dog is a more rewarding pet. Therefore I love all three of those, but my favourite animal is still gonna be an orca. Or a penguin. But probably orca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Where To wrote: »

Looks like dog poop with legs.

Where To wrote: »

Did you post about it at the time? I remember some posting a similar pic,if it was you did it survive? The one I remember the poster was worried about it.

• Advertisement

I am tempted to go with an iguana next, there is quite a reptile market over here.

I don't like reptiles... They freak me out...
    Reptiles and arachnids...

Out of interest what is it about them that freaks you out?

That's too vague! I love to own a horse because I love the whole horsey scene, the competing and all. But I cannot resist a kitten, they are the more irresistible creatures ever. But a dog is a more rewarding pet. Therefore I love all three of those, but my favourite animal is still gonna be an orca. Or a penguin. But probably orca.

I like orcas (prefer calling them killer whales cause it sounds cooler!) but they're bloody vicious and have attacked many humans too...

Odysseus wrote: »
    Out of interest what is it about them that freaks you out?

Dunno. I know they don't bite and most of them are fairly harmless.
    Its just like some/many people are scared of spiders. Its the same I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I like orcas (prefer calling them killer whales cause it sounds cooler!) but they're bloody vicious and have attacked many humans too...

Orcas are so last year, Narwhals is where its at these days. They invented the Shish-Kebab, don't you know:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

You've eaten an Orca!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Did you post about it at the time? I remember some posting a similar pic,if it was you did it survive? The one I remember the poster was worried about it.
    Yep that was me. Unfortunately Larry is now with the great Godzilla in the sky.:(

Never forget.

What the issue with them? I have been voting for them all along. In fact according to another thread I may be more evolved for having one as a pet

Those charities do a great job, I rescued my own dragon.

She's whinging because she's a child-obsessed moron who's annoyed that more people are voting for a reptile charity than the childrens' charities

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Irish lizards don't lay eggs

might explain why they are rare :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This is a great charity in fairness, rang them not so long ago at 10 at night as we found what we thought was a lizard, sent off a pick, had an answer from the girl who runs the charity in 10 minutes and she even got 2 other people to take a look to see what they thought it was. It was a little smooth newt which are native to Ireland but quite rare, I released her into the wild. They were so nice and helpful about it.

I think its nice to see charities like this getting a boost of some much needed cash, even though the department of agriculture does give out grants to animal charities every year they are very minimal, one of the larger ones only recieved enough to cover half of their costs for one month, so you can imagine that the smaller ones are lucky if they get anything at all. Our animals are really suffering in this recession, please take the time to give them something be it money, food or time every so often, it really does make a difference to them.

Advertisement