Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London granny killed by pet dogs. Family agonizing whether to put them down or not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

There just isn't any need to put them down unless there is nobody who can deal with them at all.

The local stray cat would eat you as well if he was bigger. Thats just the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I thought it was usually up to local authorities as to whether or not they put the dogs down?

Tragic though,
    dog pun

Destroy 'em or rehome 'em, just don't allow them to keep 'em!! If they did this they're obviously not being cared for responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They have killed a human they need to be put down it shouldn't even be up for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's surprising the dogs would attack a family member. I thought all dogs that attacked people got put down as they "have the taste for human blood".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Shoot the animals. And before the goodie two shoes harp on, i love dogs and have always had one, but these are extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Meirleach

Kinda thinking these ones should be put down, this wasn't even one of the dogs snapping, the whole pack went for her, a family member that should have been known to them. Wonder what make up that mongrel is exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Did you know that a cat dog will eat you when you've died you're alive? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Well it depends what you value more: A person's life or a dog's(') life...Personally I couldn't muster the courage to put down the dogs if they were mine but if they killed my gran I'd have to deal with them some way so that they wouldn't be a hazard for me or other family members...I don't think putting them down is the answer but I'd understand if someone wanted to. I know it sounds very Dr. Doolittle but can't dogs go through some therapy or whatever you want to call it to calm them down and make them safe to have as pets???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

These threads in AH always go the same way. Don't know why anybody would bother posting a thread on it, it's all going to be put the dogs down etc etc.

She died of a heart attack, read the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

My wife just rang me from the vets. Our cat is ill, and the vet wants to put her down.

Fair enough I thought, the cat knows its way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gongoozler wrote: »
    These threads in AH always go the same way. Don't know why anybody would bother posting a thread on it, it's all going to be put the dogs down etc etc.

That's what I was thinking.

If the dogs were hungry and had been left alone for a while then there is a good chance they would jump up at whoever came to feed them. They are big dogs, she was a 71 year old woman....

It doesn't sound like they actually ripped her throat open or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought all dogs that attacked people got put down as they "have the taste for human blood".

T hats a complete myth.

Everyone is jumping to conclusions when we dont really know what happened. She could have had a heart problem and collapsed. We don't know if the injuries occurred before or after death.

I've also read articles on the case that say the dogs were being mistreated but No one knows if that's true either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

07734 wrote: »
    My wife just rang me from the vets. Our cat is ill, and the vet wants to put her down.

Fair enough I thought, the cat knows its way home.

I took my cat to the vet and he said "I'm going to have to put her down".

I said is she that bad? he said no, just very heavy!

ba doom tish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I brought my cat to the vet and he said 'I ****ing hate this place why am I here again'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Irishchick wrote: »
    Everyone is jumping to conclusions when we dont really know what happened. She could have had a heart problem and collapsed. We don't know if the injuries occurred before or after death.

Actually, pathologists CAN tell if an injury occurred while still alive or post-mortem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

woodoo wrote: »
    They have killed a human they need to be put down it shouldn't even be up for negotiation.

Humans kill humans and all they get is 6 years in a big kennel for manslaughter.

Hopefully there is a thorough investigation CSI style in this case to nail down which of the dogs actually attacked the woman, which one was the instigator..etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, pathologists CAN tell if an injury occurred while still alive or post-mortem.
    Pathologists can produce an educated opinion. They can and do frequently get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Irishchick wrote: »
    T hats a complete myth.

I've also read articles on the case that say the dogs were being mistreated but No one knows if that's true either.
    seamus wrote: »
    Pathologists can produce an educated opinion. They can and do frequently get it wrong.

I think the facts that she was crying for help whilst being attacked and the reports that she died from bleeding from her wounds kind of answer these questions. No ?

Honestly - do you people even read links ? I seriously doubt she was crying for help after she died anyhow. Unless .....did she live next door to a necromancer ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

seamus wrote: »
    I've never seen them get it wrong in CSI Miami, you must be mistaken.

I would bring out the over and under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Are you having a laugh?
    She had multiple injuries and a heart attack, probably as a result of being attacked.

Its like saying if I smash a pensioner over the head with a shovel and she has a heart attack that I wasn't responsible, rather her heart was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fcuk.. that's a very sad story. Must be hell for the family right now.

Personally, I'd leave the decision up to the authorities, but if possible keep 1 or 2 of the animals. I don't really see why anyone would want/need to own 5 dogs unless they have a huge area to keep them in. The space they were in at the home looks quite small and is cordoned off from the larger garden area.

Would you really love the dogs the same knowing that they had killed your mother?

anncoates wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?
    She had multiple injuries and a heart attack, probably as a result of being attacked.

Its like saying if I smash a pensioner over the head with a shovel and she has a heart attack that I wasn't responsible, rather her heart was.

No it's really not the same thing at all. If you can't see that, I'm really not sure I can find a way to explain it to you. Think along the lines of diminished responsibility.

But I'm more of an animal lover than a people lover, so doubt very many posters would agree with my pov on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Of course they should be put down. Can't believe they are even agonising over this when they killed the granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What are you talking about she was attacked read the story yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No it's really not the same thing at all. If you can't see that, I'm really not sure I can find a way to explain it to you. Think along the lines of diminished responsibility.

But I'm more of an animal lover than a people lover, so doubt very many posters would agree with my pov on this.

A heart attack that she probably would not have had if she wasn't attacked by dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

A heart attack that she probably would not have had if she wasn't attacked by dogs.

she died from blood loss due to her wounds according to the post-mortem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I wonder if the dogs are for rent?

Advertisement