Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives you peace in life?

Options
  • 02-11-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

With no belief in the afterlife, how do you personally face the concept of death? Are you currently doing things in life that will give you peace when the time comes, or are you pushing it to the back of your mind until old age?

Between the ages of 19-23 I went through a mental crisis. I was constantly aware of my own mortality, and I searched for something to give me comfort. Telling myself it was 60 years away didn't help. It wasn't a depression, these years were the beginning of the happiest time of my life. Life was great, but this very fact made me acutely aware that it was also finite.

Since then, I have realised that travel/education (for me these go hand-in-hand) and charitable work give me this peace, and in the future hopefully a happy, healthy family also.

So what puts your mind at ease, if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Columbia wrote: »
    I'm going to be a star. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

doctoremma wrote: »

Dang, talk about your long-term goals…

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

edit: Hmmm might want to read thread titles more thoroughly.

The answer still stands though, filtered through board games and video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Stoicism, and a growing reality check to get out and live a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

b318isp wrote: »
    Stoicism, and a growing reality check to get out and live a little.

Yes, and the knowledge that you can be happy and unhappy with what you have in the present, know that these can be worked on and reflect on things that you could have done better and intend to do better in future.

That great and popular saying is a good one (mysteriously with "Lord grant me" at the beginning, considering it's essentially a Stoic quote).
    I lose the Lordy part, add me, and then use it :)

I strive for the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The fear of death is a tough one alright - acknowledging that I'm afraid of dying is helpful, and saying to myself I'm entitled to feel fear - while I'm reflecting on that, I might also recognise that I also feel happiness, love, joy and respect and I have that in return from people as well. All these emotions, if taken on their own, can be overwhelming, but luckily there is usually a lot more going on in people's lives. I'm a very emotional person and I find it helps regulate my emotions, including fear, if I take them up and examine them like that.

Recognising that there is always a possibility that a loved one might die tomorrow helps me not to take them for granted today for example, and so I can reflect on the joy of how much they mean to me as well as how painful it would be to lose them. Talking with family and friends about how I would like them to feel loved, even in the event of my death is a way of coping with the sadness that comes with knowing that when you die, loved ones will be very upset. I have no fear of there not being an afterlife because I assume I will be gone and know nothing about it!

Fear of the possibility of dying painfully is the hardest one for me, and I can only hope that I don't do it in front of anyone. That's not cheerful, sorry. But essentially, I realise that I can't predict or take precautions about that any more than I do (with the exception of giving up the fags....sigh:() So to answer the OP as to what puts my mind at ease? Constant work I suppose, or I'd lose the run of myself - literally!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ambient 1: music for airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

doctoremma wrote: »

You're not sorry to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

With no belief in the afterlife, how do you personally face the concept of death? Are you currently doing things in life that will give you peace when the time comes, or are you pushing it to the back of your mind until old age?

Investing in the science and engineering of SENS.
    Between the ages of 19-23 I went through a mental crisis. I was constantly aware of my own mortality, and I searched for something to give me comfort. Telling myself it was 60 years away didn't help. It wasn't a depression, these years were the beginning of the happiest time of my life. Life was great, but this very fact made me acutely aware that it was also finite.

How do you know 60 years specifically?
    Since then, I have realised that travel/education (for me these go hand-in-hand) and charitable work give me this peace, and in the future hopefully a happy, healthy family also.

That they're are no rules for how one should live their life, that I don't have to do the same thing as everyone else, that if I die it won't matter a feck to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Last Sunday, I felt terrible.

I'd had a really busy week. Problems at work (don't get me started), and I teach a lot of private classes to make ends meet. I basically work seven days a week for months on end. Sometimes it catches up on you, and last Sunday was one of those days.

I finished my last class at five on Sunday, and I was wrecked. Exhausted, in mind and body. That's when my wife called me, asking if I wanted to go with her to take our daughter to her dance class. I really didn't want to - all I wanted to do was go home, switch on NatGeo, and veg for an hour or two - but I said yes, sure. Spend some quality time with my ladies.

We dropped our daughter off at her dance class, and then went for a stroll. It was a balmy evening, so we wandered around for about half an hour, window shopping, talking about nothing and everything, and then stopped off for a coffee. We hadn't spent time like that in quite a while.

Then we went back to the dance school, and watched our little girl (she's five) doing her thing with her classmates. Afterwards we walked home, with me carrying our girl ("Daddy, I'm tired...").

Got home, sent the little miss for her shower, and I flopped down on the sofa. It was then I realised that I was totally, completely, utterly relaxed. At peace with the universe. I knew what Monday would bring, but that was OK: Mondays do that. For a short time, I'd had peace, and more importantly, I'd remembered that that peace is there whenever I want it.

You can be damn sure what I'll be doing next Sunday evening.

BTW, any reps from the Readers Digest can PM me at their convenience. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Funnily enough one thing that helped me through my late-teen freak out about death was Discworld books. It's nice to think of Death just being what happens when you run out of life, there's no malice, there's no anger, "THERE'S JUST ME". It's also nice to think that whatever you think is going to happen you after you die is what happens, that death isn't the worst thing that can happen; death takes away any pain or suffering, and that during the transition there's a nice, quite skinny, guy who likes cats to help smooth out any rough spots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ambient 1: music for airports.
    actually, i should mention this too. don't laugh that it's jam and spoon; it's a wonderful piece of music. i used to live in enniskerry, and had a lot of afternoons free. i'd go driving around the mountains listening to this, and all was right with the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNxkr_QFluQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My death simply isn't important. It's inevitable, so worrying about avoiding it won't do squat. It'll probably be like how it was before I was born, and I don't recall anything unpleasant about that. I'm can affect how I live, though. And how I'm remembered. So I do. And that's a whole lot of fun.

Heh, remember when Donatello tried this thread and dismissed our answers because we were all happy without his douchebag god?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I am a tiny, insignificant, ignorant lump of carbon.
    I have one life, and it is short
    And unimportant…
    But thanks to recent scientific advances
    I get to live twice as long
    As my great great great great uncleses and auntses.
    Twice as long to live this life of mine
    Twice as long to love this wife of mine
    Twice as many years of friends and wine

This :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

wprathead wrote: »
    This :)

Yay!! Storm is my favourite :D For anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yxDWxUIM0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Look just gimme some inner peace or I'll mop the floor with ya - homer simpson

I have moments that briefly overwhelm me with the fact that some day I'm not going to exist as I do now. It's a little sad but because the odds of me changing it are incredibly slim (I'd say none but Cerebral will verbally beat me ;) ) I just have to use it to motivate me to enjoy life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭smokingman

How can anyone be afraid of death? Really?
    When you sleep, you may remember a dream that may have lasted ten minutes in the real world but when you're dead, you don't feel anything; your conciousness is gone just like in sleep.

I'm more afraid of being seriously injured or brain damaged in some way.
    Imagine having your IQ drop and having that one last Q seeing merit in "magic" and "spirituality"...urrrgh!

smokingman wrote: »
    When you sleep, you may remember a dream that may have lasted ten minutes in the real world but when you're dead, you don't feel anything; your conciousness is gone just like in sleep.

I'm more afraid of being seriously injured or brain damaged in some way.
    Imagine having your IQ drop and having that one last Q seeing merit in "magic" and "spirituality"...urrrgh!

That reminded me of a Mark Twain quote. I couldn't find it, but I found a few other good ones by him. Quite a few, actually; he must have spent more time thinking about death than a Woody Allen character. Anyhow, two that stuck out, in the same vein as your post.

• The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
    • To die one's self is a thing that must be easy, & light of consequence; but to lose a part of one's self--well, we know how deep that pang goes, we who have suffered that disaster, received that wound which cannot heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

smokingman wrote: »

I'm afraid of death. It terrifies me. The thought of not existing, of one moment being conscious, the next moment nothingness. And it's a horrible catch 22 for me, because I am equally terrified of eternal consciousness. Somehow, eternally aware, but alone in empty infinity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As long as I can look myself in the eye in the mirror and know that I have not deliberately harmed any living creature just to suit myself and that I have genuinely tried to make appropriate reparations to those I inadvertently harmed I am at peace.

In short - as long as I take personal responsibility for all of my actions and their effects on others I sleep easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm afraid of death. It terrifies me. The thought of not existing, of one moment being conscious, the next moment nothingness. And it's a horrible catch 22 for me, because I am equally terrified of eternal consciousness. Somehow, eternally aware, but alone in empty infinity.

Hmm. Have you tried alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Sarky wrote: »
    Hmm. Have you tried alcohol?

You mean get plastered drunk as a practise run for losing consciousness forever? :D

Probably a good way to deal with hard questions from kids at funerals. :pac:

I used to be like that until I ended up in hospital about 4 years ago literally at deaths door. Spent a long night fighting to stay alive where every single movement resulted in unbelievable pain for 10 minutes so sleep was impossible.
    Spent the night thinking about what is really important to me and what I think the purpose (for want of a better word) of my life is. My conclusion - to try not to be a c**t, but if I am to fess up and stop it, to not tolerate others being c**ts, and be the best person I can be.

I also reckoned that as I don't know where 'I' was before I was born -and as far as I am aware wasn't given a choice in the matter - and I have no choice about dying - and I don't know what happens after that - so there really is no point in wasting the now worrying about the then when there is nothing I can do about it.

All things pass. It’s one of those immutable laws of the universe. You, me, everyone you know, everyone you meet or see or learn about, all go the same way. That which is born must die, and that is as true for us as it is for the planet we walk on, the sun we orbit, and the galaxy that homes us. One day, they’ll all be gone, too. If nothing else, our mortality is well-attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Death doesn't scare me too much, what scares me is getting old and not being able (either physically or mentally) to do the things that I enjoy most. I have a glimmer of hope though, both my grandmothers and various great aunts lived until they were well into their nineties, and all of them had their wits about them and had full use of their limbs and senses. All passed away peacefully..I'd like that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In day to day life, books give me peace. They're what get me to sleep at night when my mind would otherwise be full of life's concerns.

Last thing at night, I close my eyes, mentally place all the issues that cannot be resolved by worrying in an imaginary box and shut the lid. Then I turn my Kindle on and read until the thing literally falls out of my hand.

Dades wrote: »
    In day to day life, books give me peace. They're what get me to sleep at night when my mind would otherwise be full of life's concerns.

Last thing at night, I close my eyes, mentally place all the issues that cannot be resolved by worrying in an imaginary box and shut the lid. Then I turn my Kindle on and read until the thing literally falls out of my hand.

I can't get my kindle to recharge - I am not currently at peace with the world!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Amazon have replaced two slightly wonky Kindles on me no questions asked - call them! There's a number somewhere in their support section. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

As an immediate action interim solution find a micro usb charger (e.g for a Samsung phone) or use the kindle charger and just keep the thing supplied with juice and read to heart's pleasure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Obliq wrote: »
    Yay!! Storm is my favourite :D For anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yxDWxUIM0

The one line in it that really stays with me
    Isn't this enough?

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    As an immediate action interim solution find a micro usb charger (e.g for a Samsung phone) or use the kindle charger and just keep the thing supplied with juice and read to heart's pleasure. :)

Panic over. It wasn't being recognized by either my or OH's laptops - was about to 'borrow' Son's and his OH's l'tops but the good peeps at amazon advised I shutdown and restart with kindle connected to l'top - it worked.

All peaceful and happy with the world again as I peruse the list of recommended reads supplied by all of the good heathens of A & A.

Advertisement