Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Matt Shanahan the only one who opens his mouth for Waterford. Rest , nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rustyman101

He has no real power unfortunately but at least he's asks awkward questions that the other should asking.

He annoys them anyway.

Maybe there will be an indy grouping after the GE?

And yes I know it would be chaotic and unstable!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Who were these "undesirables" that got moved to Ferrybank?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Valhalla90

Matt highlights the failures of the others. If it were not for him we wouldn’t have a clue what’s going on. The arrogance of Marc is on another level. Election time can’t come quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

I'm guessing public housing allocations have been socially engineered, but I can't find a reference to that on the net?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The idea that the airport would be self sustaining at 300k passengers a year is pie in the sky as well. It would need to be at well over a million a year to have any chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭914

Correct but what difference does it make? You could spend 2-300 million upgrading the n25 and have zero return from it.

At the end of the day the airport is an infrastructure project, over time one would expect government support to be less and less, even it if was costing 1.5 million per year for the first 10 years that's still small change in the scheme of government spending.

All the talk should be done, either government say yes or no, either way they need to cut the **** and give an answer they either want to support the airport or they don't and no matter what any of us say it think it will have no impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Bards

Still think asking the public to help fund it will be the quickest way to achieve the runway extension and get commercial flights back up and running .. Very same way as the Dunmore Wing of UHW was funded.. 12m is not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things

I think a lot of people in Waterford would support this!

• Advertisement

Dunmore wing was 6 million and took a number of years to reach that target. I'm not sure the airport would get the same level of support from the public.

Dunmore wing was to house the South East palliative care after all, that has touched so many people.

I'm not against public funding but as a commerical entity people would want something in return.

Three options

We find a sugar daddy who funds the whole lot

Government fund the whole lot

50/50 private investment and government funding.

Option 3 is on the table and seems a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭azimuth17

People invested before. I have shares somewhere. I completely disagree with the idea. If the government was giving our dinners we'd be starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Lads, I'm at a bit of a loss here: Since I moved to Dungarvan in 2022 I don't see why it's such a terrible upset here that Waterford airport isn't up and running for international flights, and why this fact gets so much uproar and airtime on the radio.

Realistically it'd be mostly flights to the UK, which Dublin, Shannon and Cork all do very well currently.

Cork isn't that far, especially to the majority of the land area of the county being under an hour and a half drive (Excluding the city).

Multiple millions of euro just to shave what would be a ~2 hour drive to Cork from the city when you want to go to the UK down to a short drive seems a bit daft. The airlines would really need to have a sun holiday option at a price that would be worth it vs going to Cork for it to make even a smidge of sense.

Bypassing some of the towns along the N25 in Waterford or Cork using that money would bring the travel time to a sensible enough level to make much more sense. Galway's arguably much more in need of an airport of its own but people there can live with the hour and a half to either Shannon or Knock without a campaign for Carnmore to be international.

If the argument is that the tiny bit of south Wexford isn't within 2 hours of an international airport, then I'm sorry but that's laughable: How many people even live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/border/1485755/airport-near-kilkenny-could-become-irelands-first-dedicated-centre-for-aerospace-research.html

“Airport near Kilkenny” and this is exactly why the South East has the problems that it has. They cannot even mention the name Waterford. Pathetic journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭invara

Interesting isochrone work, but you need a few more in a series to explore the issue of airport coverage- typically 15-90 min are used.

Correct people did invest before but nowhere near the level needed as we are still talking about an extension, 30 off years after people invested by purchasing shares.

There is more to it than people just going on sun holidays, your are missing the business element and chance of increase FDI.

Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway, cities all thriving.

All have airports on their doorstep (Galway not on its doorstep by 1 hour either side and they are in either Shannon or Knock)

Anyone in Waterford going to cork is a 4 hour trip, two hour drive and be there two hours before your flight.

Someone travelling for business reason this is a big issue.

You also say it would be millions wasted, it would be far cheaper developing Waterford airport than bypassing the town's along the n25.

Expanding Waterford might also mean that people from dungarvan would use Waterford as an alternative to Cork and Waterford airport would be tapping into the 500k population of the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Week 20

Government completely out of road. Next stage is cash.

So where's the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Bards

Aparantly Eamon Ryan is visiting Waterford on Friday.. Here's hoping he's bringing 12m with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Here's hoping but more likely he's going to say " on yer bike!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Coming down with anything other than a funding guarantee would be disastrous for them...

They are out of touch as it is. He most likely will come down talk a load of crap and continue to be vague and not give a decision. His TD here is 100% gone next election.

Well at least we can suffer in the knowledge that closing Waterford airport will have saved the world from climate change. Can anyone smell that coal smoke from China?

I wouldn't be so sure we have had plenty minister visits in the past 24 months all with hands swinging.

I'm not sure that they even care anymore, he'll probably get a few pics on the new Ross Greenway, north Quays/new bridge

Bicycles. Now that's the level of the Green Party!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Eamon Ryan cancelled yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Airport board member Jim Griffin was on the radio last week saying that the Dep of Transport have issued a list of questions on the business case to the airport which they may need some time to respond to. Also does the increase in funding from the originally approved 5 million pre covid need to go through cabinet again?..I dont know the answer to that one. But anyone expecting Eamon Ryan to be coming down today to announce the money might be a bit premature. Maybe that's the reason he cancelled his trip, he discovered once people were aware of his visit that expectation was high of an announcement on the airport funding, that to come with his arms swinging would not go down well and has decided to postpone until he has something positive to tell us.

Advertisement