Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

O'Cathasaigh is one serious waster.

I remember around last election time people in Tramore were talking about what a breath of fresh air he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

Flybe came in after AerArann for 12 months or so and ran a Birmingham flight. This was followed by VLM

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dan575283578

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In other words he hasn’t a notion of supporting this ever

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Muttley79

All they can do is sit and wait for the next elections in twelve months time.the next government might look favourably on the airport!!

Hopefully the green party never ever get into power again.hypocritical climate extremists.

A party polling at 3% are calling the shots in Leinster house.

Bizarre

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be so sure, by the time the next government come in, investors could be gone or government will want a new report! It's probably now or never.

Remember we received commitment for money back in 2007 with works due to start in 2008 and be completed by 2009!

So even Leo's talk of support is cheap.

Everyone is hammering Ryan and the greens and rightly so but at the end of the day we have the FG leader saying he supports the idea of extending the runway nothing stopping Leo and FG or FF, expediting this application, it's not all on Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Muttley79

This is exactly what the green party is hoping for.the investors pull out so the government can blame them.

One thing is for certain this airport will not get the green light 12 months before an election.

It will not happen on the green party watch!!!

Hopefully the investors realise this and will just have to sit it out till a minister of transport is capable of making a sensible decision.

This green party is coming to its end

I agree and think this is why we see so much support from the likes of Leo. FG will play this prior to election, if it doesn't happen they'll just blame the greens meanwhile we'll still be left without the extension

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't mean to offend but if it's that important to the chamber of commerce etc etc can they not have a whip-round? It's only a few million isn't it?

I thought and still think that the building of Knock airport was a crazed fantasy, but they raised a great deal of money for it locally.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Let's have a whip round for Metro North in Dublin, is only a few billion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

And when you think about the small drop in the ocean we need! Make ya sick. Butler needs to speak up now enough is enough she and her party are in government with them. Greens seem to be calling all the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Bards

Don't give any local election candidate from any main party a vote until this is sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

They also received a government grant of £9.8M IEP (€12.4M EUR) or in today's money €30M EUR. But, a usual, Waterford 'must try harder'.

Anyway, you just know when the Minister 'finds the time' to read the report it will be to look for holes to send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I don't agree, Southend Airport has a direct train to Liverpool st. Which takes about an hour & 15 minutes. No worse than Gatwick, Stanstead, Luton or Heathrow.

Use to fly there with Aer Arran/ Stobart Air to get to ExCel expo"s. Only London City would have been handier.

Anyway, you'd take it now wouldn't you over no flights into anywhere, no?

Listening to Cummins today on WLR. I don’t know what to make of the interview. It seemed positive but also the Greens and Ryan in particular seem to be calling all the shots. Nothing from Butler yet I think she is on tomorrow’s show. Pressure is on now with this issue and rightly so. Difficult to read the news seeing the Dunkettle Junction in Cork open at a cost of €215m. It would cost €12m for WAT and be transformative for the region but no we need report after report and then to deal with a climate extremist of a transport minister who is completely biased and against the project. It’s just battle after battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Was he asked if he thought it was strange that members of the Board didn't get a copy of the business case until February?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Its funny how its all the greens and Eamon Ryan - jaysus he's like the bogey man ,he's everywhere all at once ,

I'm not the guys biggest fan , but theres always a bogey man in irish coalition politics , if group think is to look at Eamon Ryan then you should probably look elsewhere -

Everyone thought Bertie was brillant ,and all the ills of the country were john Gormleys fault ,

Does anyone know how much the airport was last bought for ? Or its estimated value now ,?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

But he is the bogeyman. The completely illogical statements he has come out with over the last few years, you'd wonder how he is a representative of anything.

Only for the fact that the party is named "The Green Party" they'd have next to no following anymore. The vague eco-friendly ethos I think is what maintains them a few voters.

Yet, as minister for transport, he's not actually solved anything. Public transport is still absolutely useless in our cities that anyone with a car uses it at any chance they get. Not very 'Green' to have nothing but statements and unachievable plans after years in GOV.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Since becoming Minister for Transport (and Energy) he has been caught several times trying to delay decisions and exacerbate issues in relation to stuff he doesn't like. Motorways, fossil fuel related stuff, airports (this for example), road projects etc.

If he spent half the time trying to advance public transport and renewable energy projects instead of the above he might have something to show for his time in Government.

Whatever about the Green Party TDs, it'll be the FF + FG TDs who'll have to answer for the nonsense these clowns have carried on with for the last 4 years at the doors come election time.

Butler and Cummins are gonna feel this issue on the door steps. As for our Green TD there’s no words same guy was more concerned about a cycle lane leading to Cork airport than actual getting his own airport up and running. Madness!

• Advertisement

That's just not true though, big improvements in bus services in Dublin and other cities and towns, fare reductions, 90 minute transfer fare. Bus corridors held back by NIMBYs but what can you do. In Dublin anyway there are huge numbers of people who own a car but only use it at the weekend. Metrolink is at ABP.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bus services are abysmal and unreliable. Putting in a better schedule on paper is all fine and well, but have you seen the reality? No drivers, constant busses cancelled, not showing up, extremely late etc.

I live in Galway for example and I don't know a single person who has a car that uses the bus services, you'd be an eejit to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The Waterford-Limerick bus (55?) could be 20 mins late or 20 mins late every day , no matter what time you wait for it you will rarely see it on time....

This is usually as a result of the sh1t road from waterford to limerick - especially from Cahir onwards ... get caught behind a slurry spreader and your fecked!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Post I replied to was referring to all cities so take it up with that poster

9 weeks passed since receipt by Government of the business case.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I wrote to all the TDs along the route about a month ago about this on the 55. Two responses saying they'd look in to it, but we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dan575283578

here we are over 2 months later still waiting on the govt to decide on approving a few million euro for a project that will benefit the region immensely, all the while they are giving greater amounts of money to other regions 'just like that' (e.g. childrens hospital). A national disgrace.

• Advertisement

Advertisement