Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland Rant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

You're unlikely to find many positive attitudes on this forum, as After Hours itself is essentially the central hub for the endless barrage of moaning and trolling that features on this site. :D

Also, keep in mind that at least 75% of the posts on this thread are likely to be made with tongue firmly in cheek!

If you do decide to move to Ireland, I wish you the best of luck and really hope you enjoy yourself!

Many thanks for you words of comfort, I have very thick skin;)
    Trust me, I will get there to live out the rest of my days, despite what folk say.
    For some reason I always come onto the 'After Hours' forum, dunno why?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Fair play. I hope you enjoy Ireland. I'd been living abroad for several years up until quite recently and I'm really happy being back. I think Ireland - specifically Dublin - is one of the best places to live. Anyway, hope all goes well for you :)

Thanks mate, honestly I do know the country extremely well.
    Probably been to more places around the country than most of the people on here giving Ireland a negative image.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Actually I don't live in the 'big city', although I did for forty years though before getting the hell out of there!

I assure you every word in my OP is true, and do the maths my friend - my journey to work takes around an hour an a half each morning.

The call to AIB was just a casual telephone call, nothing set in stone.

My home house is three miles from Eyre square in Galway, not sure what its like now but it used to take over an hour to get into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

I spent the summer in London. I'm in Dublin now... I'd give my sexual organs to return. Admittedly I'm young! But there's more to see, more to do, more atmosphere, more life, variety of people/cultures etc. over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

So I spoke to the woman at AIB about finance and stuff, then she said "Are you sure you want to move to Ireland?"

I live fifteen miles outside London and work in London, my car journey on a Sunday morning takes 25 minutes, weekdays add an extra hour. Once I get out of my car you can taste the fumes that fill the city air.

I passed three school, two of them have Police patrols at the gates.
    As I sat in endless traffic, people are passing that randomly spit on the pavement, they all have aggressive faces on them, radio annouces yet another killing during the evening.

The streets are littered with rubbish, I see people just five minutes in the country, straight into a nice house, given all types of benefits, given a new car to transport their eight kids, all paid by the likes of me who work 10-12 hours a day. I could go on & on...

And the nice woman at AIB asks me am I sure I want to move!:eek:

Anyways, rant over. I've been going to Ireland at least three times a year visting the family and that. Coming over again next month with a couple of interviews planned.:)

Hope it happens for you and Ireland is a great place to live, despite what some people would have you believe Ireland is still over all a peaceful place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

So I spoke to the woman at AIB about finance and stuff, then she said "Are you sure you want to move to Ireland?"

I live fifteen miles outside London and work in London, my car journey on a Sunday morning takes 25 minutes, weekdays add an extra hour. Once I get out of my car you can taste the fumes that fill the city air.

I passed three school, two of them have Police patrols at the gates.
    As I sat in endless traffic, people are passing that randomly spit on the pavement, they all have aggressive faces on them, radio annouces yet another killing during the evening.

The streets are littered with rubbish, I see people just five minutes in the country, straight into a nice house, given all types of benefits, given a new car to transport their eight kids, all paid by the likes of me who work 10-12 hours a day. I could go on & on...

And the nice woman at AIB asks me am I sure I want to move!:eek:

Anyways, rant over. I've been going to Ireland at least three times a year visting the family and that. Coming over again next month with a couple of interviews planned.:)

I know where your're coming from, London's a grand place if you're on 150K a year and have a four bedroom house in Chiswick or Golders Green near a tube station, unfortunately 75% of the city is dross and it take ages to get anywhere.

There's loads of nice places though within commuting distance of Manchester or Leeds which are both friendlier places, or how about moving to the real England, ie; York, Lincoln or Exeter.

Dublin's the only real urban sprawl in Ireland so there's a lack of variety from that perspective, plus it's also very expensive for a place that's no great shakes in terms of weather, healthcare or infrastructure.

If you've a decent paying secure job and a nice part of town sorted then by all means go for it.

Advertisement