Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland Rant

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

So I spoke to the woman at AIB about finance and stuff, then she said "Are you sure you want to move to Ireland?"

I live fifteen miles outside London and work in London, my car journey on a Sunday morning takes 25 minutes, weekdays add an extra hour. Once I get out of my car you can taste the fumes that fill the city air.

I passed three school, two of them have Police patrols at the gates.
    As I sat in endless traffic, people are passing that randomly spit on the pavement, they all have aggressive faces on them, radio annouces yet another killing during the evening.

The streets are littered with rubbish, I see people just five minutes in the country, straight into a nice house, given all types of benefits, given a new car to transport their eight kids, all paid by the likes of me who work 10-12 hours a day. I could go on & on...

And the nice woman at AIB asks me am I sure I want to move!:eek:

Anyways, rant over. I've been going to Ireland at least three times a year visting the family and that. Coming over again next month with a couple of interviews planned.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

What makes you believe Ireland is much different than that?
    Its just smaller with lesser things to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

So I spoke to the woman at AIB about finance and stuff, then she said "Are you sure you want to move to Ireland?"

I live fifteen miles outside London and work in London, my car journey on a Sunday morning takes 25 minutes, weekdays add an extra hour. Once I get out of my car you can taste the fumes that fill the city air.

As I sat in endless traffic, people are passing that randomly spit on the pavement, they all have aggressive faces on them, radio annouces yet another killing during the evening.

The streets are littered with rubbish, I see people just five minutes in the country, straight into a nice house, given all types of benefits, given a new car to transport their eight kids, all paid by the likes of me who work 10-12 hours a day. I could go on & on...

Anyways, rant over. I've been going to Ireland at least three times a year visting the family and that. Coming over again next month with a couple of interviews planned.:)

You could have been describing life here tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Welcome, hope it goes well for you. IF you're in the right sector there's plenty of opportunities here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Once you're up for murdering the blacks you'll be grand buddie, love you new friend.

Troll banned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Once you're up for murdering the blacks you'll be grand buddie, love you new friend.

Dafuq?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

ardinn wrote: »
    Dafuq?

^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well you could move to Ireland, or you could move to somewhere else less densely populated in Britain?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Finance

AIB:eek:

May the lord have mercy on your soul

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

they dont really like foreigners here. theres a nosey parker down the street from me and she was complaining about a mechanics across the road from her who gets cars brought in at all hours of the day and wait for it.... he's Polish!
    I drew her attention to the car sales yard in the same street who has his cars for sale all the way up the road and she says ah he's alright, been there years.
    I'd think long and hard about coming here. It was good ten years ago but has gotten seriously unfriendly recently.
    Just talking about Dublin of course. I cant talk for anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 StankyStevie

What makes you believe Ireland is much different than that?
    Its just smaller with lesser things to do...

ok, take the school issue, truefully are there any schools in Ireland that have to have security at the gates morning and afternoon?

...and lesser things to do, that'll suit me fine. Less is more.

• Advertisement

You could have been describing life here tbh...

well, not the places I go to in Ireland, thankfully

Islander13 wrote: »
    Welcome, hope it goes well for you. IF you're in the right sector there's plenty of opportunities here.

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You should move to Finglas - it's exactly like that only without the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Loads of parts of the UK are nothing like you describe. Have you lived anywhere other than London?

Finance

AIB:eek:

May the lord have mercy on your soul

yeah, yeah - had to ask someone :p

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well you could move to Ireland, or you could move to somewhere else less densely populated in Britain?

oh, don't you want me then?:(

they appear to be doing the job themselves.
    Love you too buddy:o

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Undercover Brother

Fook me I live in London, to my mind the streets are fantastically clean for such a big city. Easily far cleaner than Dublin. The rest of your post reads like a column from the Daily Mail. Who are these people who are given a nice house and a car to transport their 8 kids? I know quite a few people on benefits in London, including people with families (not with 8 kids admittedly) but they don't live in nice houses in the country and they use public transport. But you move to Ireland boss, its paradise on earth to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I live fifteen miles outside London and work in London, my car journey on a Sunday morning takes 25 minutes, weekdays add an extra hour.
    England has one of the best road networks in Europe, I'm always astounded by it when I'm over there. You're about to get a rude awakening if you think you're going to spend any less time in your car over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So, you spoke to a lady in AIB about finance, did you give her any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

If you can pull of a good Irish accent you'll be just fine, otherwise be very careful who you speak to !! Make sure you don't leave your kids out after 6pm and remove that yellow plate from the rear end of your motor. Don't use the words "bruv" or "mate" too loud. Make sure the missus stays indoors at all times. You'll need a saorview box, you'll also be required to stand for the Irish national anthem, catholic bible in your bedside locker is a must. Potatoe's are to be consumed at least twice a day, Replace those Mayfair cigarettes with John player blue or Carrolls, corporal punishment is still present in most schools so pre-warn children.

Its not so bad once you get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ah yes man lives in big city and complains about big city problems.

Depends where you are moving to i suppose.

I suppose there are places in ireland where you can find good schools and have a nice lifestyle and cheap accomodation.

although there is something about the post that does not ring true.

eg being 15 miles outside london it not that far and an hour commute in london is considered quiet good.

Also I cannot imagine a bank employee trying to dissuade a new customer.

Also you do realise that AIB are not the bank to go with they have converted all their regular deposit accounts to 30 day notice accounts (no increase in interest) and they are a nationalised bank.

they dont really like foreigners here. theres a nosey parker down the street from me and she was complaining about a mechanics across the road from her who gets cars brought in at all hours of the day and wait for it.... he's Polish!
    I drew her attention to the car sales yard in the same street who has his cars for sale all the way up the road and she says ah he's alright, been there years.
    I'd think long and hard about coming here. It was good ten years ago but has gotten seriously unfriendly recently.
    Just talking about Dublin of course. I cant talk for anywhere else.

appreciate that, no offence to any from or living in Dublin but that's not what I'm looking for.

I've been travelling to Ireland since the '1980's - most of my relatives live there. I have two brothers who live there. I probably have more closer friends there than here.

Trust me, I have never been regarded as a 'Foreigner'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ah shur our foreigners get free baby prams and everything, they just leave them at the bus stops! And cars, and extra money if they spend their social on booze. :rolleyes:

Don't worry OP, you can get the Daily Mail over here too, you'll be grand.

sheesh wrote: »
    Ah yes man lives in big city and complains about big city problems.

Depends where you are moving to i suppose.

I suppose there are places in ireland where you can find good schools and have a nice lifestyle and cheap accomodation.

although there is something about the post that does not ring true.

eg being 15 miles outside london it not that far and an hour commute in london is considered quiet good.

Also I cannot imagine a bank employee trying to dissuade a new customer.

Also you do realise that AIB are not the bank to go with they have converted all their regular deposit accounts to 30 day notice accounts (no increase in interest) and they are a nationalised bank.

Actually I don't live in the 'big city', although I did for forty years though before getting the hell out of there!

I assure you every word in my OP is true, and do the maths my friend - my journey to work takes around an hour an a half each morning.

The call to AIB was just a casual telephone call, nothing set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Move to Edinburgh instead,has the quaint older buildings and small city sort of feel as Dublin,but it isn't run by idiots and is also much cheaper then here!

Shítload of Irish folks living there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

oh, don't you want me then?:(

You're unlikely to find many positive attitudes on this forum, as After Hours itself is essentially the central hub for the endless barrage of moaning and trolling that features on this site. :D

Also, keep in mind that at least 75% of the posts on this thread are likely to be made with tongue firmly in cheek!

If you do decide to move to Ireland, I wish you the best of luck and really hope you enjoy yourself!

Ah shur our foreigners get free baby prams and everything, they just leave them at the bus stops! And cars, and extra money if they spend their social on booze. :rolleyes:

Don't worry OP, you can get the Daily Mail over here too, you'll be grand.

Oh how civilised, so glad you have the Daily Mail, I was worried about that...
    Do you also have PIMMS to wash down my Caviar and Parsley sandwiches:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

Isn't France a closer option?

Stay well away from here, things are only getting worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Fair play. I hope you enjoy Ireland. I'd been living abroad for several years up until quite recently and I'm really happy being back. I think Ireland - specifically Dublin - is one of the best places to live. Anyway, hope all goes well for you :)

Advertisement