Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up again.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Thanks for all the replies.
    Everyone's experiences definitely relate to me.
    I remember about 6 years ago we actually didn't drink all that much.
    We might go out two nights a week but even then there was no crazy amounts of drinking being done. They were good drinking times....er anyway not sure why I mentioned that really.

It's a Friday night and I'm actually feeling very mentally strong and know I won't be drinking tonight. I've given myself work to do. I think I could be on to something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Teddy good for you for getting over friday night, big step for you, now setting goals creates a map for you to move towards your chosen objective. Without some 'milestones' along the way, you won't know how far you've progressed, or even if you are still heading in the right direction.You need to feel you are achieving something in order to remain optimistic, and small achievements are easier than huge ones. You will not make the changes you want in one go, but in smaller steps.Again, don't aim for the sky - a goal might simply be, "I won't have my first drink until after nine o clock saturday night etc.Keep at it Teddy you have lots of support here :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Israel_Dagg

Keep it up Teddy.
    You're saving money that can be spent on things that keep some value, unlike alcohol that is gone when you drink it. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

unlike alcohol that is gone when you drink it. :)

... and has taken so much with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Fair play Teddy. On nights when you would normally have been drinking make sure and plan something else to be doing - a meal or a trip to the cinema etc. Its easier to slip when you're at a loose end or bored, you start to look at the night in the boozer though rose tinted glasses again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement