Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam abandons tourist coffeeshop ban plans

Options
  • 01-11-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20165371
    The mayor of Amsterdam says he will not ban foreign tourists from using the city's famous cannabis cafes, after months of argument over new drug laws.

The move comes after the new government of the Netherlands said it would be up to local authorities whether or not to impose such a ban.
    Mayor Eberhard van der Laan said banning the sale of the drug to foreigners could lead to more crime.
    Each year, some 1.5 million tourists visit Amsterdam to consume cannabis.
    "The 1.5 million tourists will not say 'then no more marijuana', they will swarm all over the city looking for drugs," said Mayor Van der Laan, who has long opposed a ban.
    "This would lead to more robberies, quarrels about fake drugs, and no control of the quality of drugs on the market - everything we have worked towards would be lost to misery."

Tourism fears

Amsterdam also relies heavily on tourism, and cannabis users make up about a third of its total visitors.
    Under laws introduced by the previous conservative-led Dutch government, a national ban on foreigners using cannabis was due to be rolled out to Amsterdam by the end of this year.
    It was intended to curb drug use and prevent drug dealers from operating in the Netherlands, and prevent them from buying drugs to sell abroad.
    The move was strongly opposed by cafe owners, who said the law unfairly discriminated against other EU residents, and warned that 90% of their income came from foreign tourists.

I am actually surprised, really thought they were going through with it. I guess tourists will still be out of bounds in coffeeshops everywhere but Amsterdam though. I think it's the right call.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I think it's the right call.

Why?

(edit) should probably clarify - you think it's right that they are not going ahead with it, or that tourists will be out of bound apart from in Amsterdam (/edit)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Are they going to check passports on the way in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kneemos wrote: »

That would seem the easiest way to do it.

Show ID, get drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

What's the big deal with going abroad to get stoned ? I done it there in Feb, didn't see the big attraction apart from a panic attack in a foreign country, never usually smoke weed done it for the novelty of it been legal. But I think if you smoke the stuff, you don't actually give a damn if it is legal or not.

Amsterdam is like a giant Temple Bar , everything is sky high in price. You could do better going to Spain or else where, cheap beer, food and some sun.

I did enjoy nearly been run over by ever 3rd or 4th bike! I would go back but not for the weed, it hit me hard and basically ruined the trip for myself.

Plus the snow was there, but I would love to go back and rally a bike around the place, looks like good crack. Just the price is putting me off really.

BTW if anyone is going, save yourself the hassle and do not bother with the Heineken 'factory', it is crap. The stuff was made there, but not anymore it is made in another part of the city now. I was expecting to see a bottling plan and some type of 'how do they do it?' style tour, but not at all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SUCK IT prohibitionists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Nice one. Going there next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

*books flight to Amsterdam* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It just shows you what a recession can do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

msg11 wrote: »
    What's the big deal with going abroad to get stoned ?
    No fear of being arrested, smoking in a public place, meeting people. As opposed to sitting at home or in a friends house or being in fear walking around stoned. Legal smoking is great. You can relax and enjoy being stoned.
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    *books flight to Amsterdam* :D
    Whats the rush now? We were planning to go over before january but we can relax now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fair play to them. Criminalising drugs doesn't work and I'd care to bet the EU would take issue with a member state treating other E.U citizens differently than it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*Camera zooms out to show Flutterin' bantam sobbing in the shower whilst wrapped in a fetal position.*

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The law has been in effect in boarder cities of the South and East since May.

You need to apply for a weed card. You have to be a permanent resident of the Netherlands. Every Coffee Shop would become a private club with a max of 2000 members, all these members would need weed cards.

The problem with the weed card is, many did not want to be on a government list as being a soft drug user, for fear it may go against them at some point.

A lot of the boarder towns had problems with "Drug Tourists" driving across just to pick up weed and then heading home to Belgium, Germany etc. I'd be surprised if these places go back to "sell to everyone".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Who cares as long as they don't check your bag at the airport on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The problem with the weed card is, many did not want to be on a government list as being a soft drug user, for fear it may go against them at some point.

If this information is on a Dutch government list you can be damn sure the EU have a record of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why?
    1. the cat's too far out of the rabbithole
    2. prohibition is bullshiz
    3. i like to smoke fat jints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

msg11 wrote: »
    Amsterdam is like a giant Temple Bar

Venture beyond the red-light district.

The Jordaan's 10 mins away - quaint canals, second-hand bookshops, cosy bars & neighbourhood coffeeshops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

good decision.
    this makes me happy. cant wait to go back.

I'm delighted that they've abandoned this plan.

I have fallen in love with Amsterdam, it's a great city, great atmosphere, great people. I'd rarely smoke weed at home, but there I love being able to have smoke and a beer and watch the world go by and I'll continue to visit as often as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

It would have been very sad to see the Amsterdam coffee shops closing their doors to tourists. Thank god they've finally seen some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

In one sense, it would be interesting to enter the mind of the conservative.

a place of truth and beauty. of laughter and chasing and giggling and more laughter.

And I do. I applaud that world. I applaud it's vigorous ignorance, it's intense appetite for definable experience - none of that scary confusing stuff.

but then i think, no. Heaven is not avoidance of experience, it is the action of embracing experience, knowing that the underlying principles of self love are intact, no matter what.

god bless the terrified, the conservative. at least the hedonistic sinner knows they are lost and can seek forgiveness. But the conservative?

No, thy are doomed to expectations unnatural and unjustifiable.

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    In one sense, it would be interesting to enter the mind of the conservative.

a place of truth and beauty. of laughter and chasing and giggling and more laughter.

And I do. I applaud that world. I applaud it's vigorous ignorance, it's intense appetite for definable experience - none of that scary confusing stuff.

but then i think, no. Heaven is not avoidance of experience, it is the action of embracing experience, knowing that the underlying principles of self love are intact, no matter what.

god bless the terrified, the conservative. at least the hedonistic sinner knows they are lost and can seek forgiveness. But the conservative?

No, thy are doomed to expectations unnatural and unjustifiable.

That was a lovely post I have to say.

Are you stoned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Great news. I look forward to going back to Dampkring coffeeshop and buying a nice bag of Amnesia Haze :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Where else on earth can you go, get stoned and watch the cops walk by as you smoke a big fat joint and politely say hello, then go and look at Van Gogh paintings for hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

That was a lovely post I have to say.

Are you stoned?
    Dunno.

Are you a/ female and b/singles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I don't smoke, but was pretty outraged that they were allowed discriminate against non nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i love amsterdam not the seedy red light core but all the rest

it would still be fine without weed but its lovleyknowing how evovolved and tolerant its people are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Great move. We should do follow them we could do with the tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a T-junction on the canals where the boat comes down the T, and goes left. So when I was sitting on the bench, watching the world go by, every few minutes a boat would drift down, swing to the right, and glide to the right in one practised swoop. I don't know how long I was, captivated by each boat having it's own way to deal with the corner. But it was awesome. And then I got munchies in one of the many businesses that, although don't sell the weed, provide munchies for people to buy who have smoked it.

Or just sit next to the canal, and peer along the canal. When the coffee shops close for the night, the stoners drift out, meet other stoners, and walk aimlessly to wherever they're staying.

Compared to Dublin where all the drunks converge when the pubs close for the night and beat the crap out of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a T-junction on the canals where the boat comes down the T, and goes left. So when I was sitting on the bench, watching the world go by, every few minutes. The boat would float down, swing to the right, and glide to the right in one practised swoop.

Or just sit next to the canal, and peer along the canal. When the coffee shops close for the night, the stoners drift out, meet other stoners, and walk aimlessly around the city in search for munchies.

Compared to Dublin where all the drunks converge when the pubs close for the night and beat the crap out of each other.

so true, such a great atmosphere around the city. last time i was there i saw no trouble anywhere at anytime apart from one homeless guy who started abusing us.
    turned out he was irish also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Real Life wrote: »
    so true, such a great atmosphere around the city. last time i was there i saw no trouble anywhere at anytime apart from one homeless guy who started abusing us.
    turned out he was irish also.

Racist.

Lets not get carried away here, Amsterdam is grand. It's no Galway or anything.

Advertisement