Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager/Owner stealing from charity box

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thinly veiled I had lunch and regularly put money in charity boxes thread.

Be careful OP you'll get a nose bleed up there.
    Don't think so. Who would thinly veil having lunch in a fast food sh1thouse?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

just a quick question for the OP. You say that the person at the till was "rounding up" the change. I assume your change was also "rounded up". Just wondering did you go back to the counter with your "rounded up" change and tell the server to now take back the overage of change he gave you previously once there was proper change in the till. Or did you keep it tight in your little pocket. If so, what would you call that?? :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just saw the most blatant act of indecency I've ever seen.

Was in grabbing lunch for the workmates and myself in a fairly popular fast food place (that I'm not going to name) in the county I live in.

The whole time I was in there the server was apologizing to the customers that they had no change in the till to give them so they were rounding up when giving the change back.

While i was at the side of the counter waiting for the food to be brought out after paying, the owner/manager comes in and the server mutters to him that they had no change in the tills. He looks around puzzled, pats his empty pockets and then proceeds to open up the Charity tub on the counter in plain sight of the three customers queuing and myself.

Now you would think maybe he's going to go back later and replace the money he took but he was dumping it into the till without even counting what was going in.

I was just going to pipe up & say something, but the customer queuing at the counter got there before me. His excuse was that he will put it back.

It will make me think twice about throwing a few coins into the charity box next time.

This is the real issue here, why the f*ck do shops expect you to take the hit for their lack of decent management.

'Sorry we have no 1 cent coins.' *closes till

'That's cool, just gimme a two cent coin and I will owe you a cent.' *stands there looking dumbfounded*

I'm looking at you Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Where did i say they whinged?
    Your OP was a bit of a whinge.
    Nobody complained
    You said you were going to say something and that the person in front of you got there before you. I get the impression that you weren't going to compliment them on their resourcefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

just a quick question for the OP. You say that the person at the till was "rounding up" the change. I assume your change was also "rounded up". Just wondering did you go back to the counter with your "rounded up" change and tell the server to now take back the overage of change he gave you previously once there was proper change in the till. Or did you keep it tight in your little pocket. If so, what would you call that?? :p:p

I was actually lucky enough to have the exact change this time, after the Jazz weekend i had lots of change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Was in grabbing lunch for the workmates and myself in a fairly popular fast food place (that I'm not going to name) in the county I live in.

The whole time I was in there the server was apologizing to the customers that they had no change in the till to give them so they were rounding up when giving the change back.

While i was at the side of the counter waiting for the food to be brought out after paying, the owner/manager comes in and the server mutters to him that they had no change in the tills. He looks around puzzled, pats his empty pockets and then proceeds to open up the Charity tub on the counter in plain sight of the three customers queuing and myself.

Now you would think maybe he's going to go back later and replace the money he took but he was dumping it into the till without even counting what was going in.

I was just going to pipe up & say something, but the customer queuing at the counter got there before me. His excuse was that he will put it back.

It will make me think twice about throwing a few coins into the charity box next time.
    Why punish the charity? Surely if you were that incensed you would have walked out and gone elsewhere, and vowed never to eat their again!
    Obviously your stomach is overriding your moral outrage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

just as bad as the people who put like 10 cent in the charity sweet boxes when it clearly says €2.
    scum.

Those charity sweet boxes are a load of rubbish, SFA actually goes to the charity. Its just business masquerading behind charity branding to get people to pay for overpriced sweets.

Why punish the charity? Surely if you were that incensed you would have walked out and gone elsewhere, and vowed never to eat their again!

If you read my post properly you would see that I already paid for my food when this happened so I couldn't have simply walked out could I.

And I never said I wasn't giving to charity again, I can choose more reliable sources for it next time where I know that it's going straight to where I want it to go.

I did you a favour by highlighting where you must have missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

If you'd be upset to learn that some well-to-do businessman is getting rich off your charity donations - don't donate....

Because that's exactly what is going to happeng. It's a business. You don't think all those chuggers are coming up to you out of the goodness of their hearts, do you? And who do you think employees them? Up at the top, even of the more respectable charities, you'll find very rich business folk who earn loads and loads more money that you do; who do nothing but figure out ways to get people like you to donate to a charity.

But let's be honest - if you really cared about helping X - you wouldn't drop a few coins in after placing your lunch order. If you enjoy donating money/if you feel *good* for giving money, do it. But you aren't a customer. Charities have no obligation to you. They won't use your money as wisely as you would. Even the ones with the best of intentions have overhead. You could do some research, look into X, and do something for that cause on your own, and have full control over how your money is used....but that'd be a lot of work. And who has time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The owner of the shop is doing the charity a big favour letting them put their begging bowl in his establishment

Let him have a few cent when the greasy till is a few coppers shy
    He's doing them a big favour by (according to you at least) allowing him an opportunity to steal?

Wow! The Diseased Celtic Kitten has sure left its mark on this country!
    UCDVet wrote: »
    ....but that'd be a lot of work. And who has time?
    And that's exactly why charities have become "professionalised" ... and I agree with you that it's not a positive move.

What in past generations was done on a voluntary basis, someone now has to be paid to do. Because after all, time is money, money is god, and why on earth would people choose to volunteer? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

In a place I used to work, the charity box was counted by the owner, he used the change and lodged a cheque for the total amount into the charities bank account...It was a charity which had an official partnership with the shop and that was deemed to be the safest/best way for the charity to collect the money and also not be stuck with a whole lot of coins

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

A few months ago i was in Mcdonalds ordering some food, i payed and as i walked away the woman behind the counter shouted at me to come back to the counter. I came back and she had a £10 note that was on the counter, she said it was mine but i was sure it wasn't and been the honest person that i am i decided we should put it in the charity box. She didn't seem to happy about that but i just popped it in and said goodbye. Anyway i walk out the door and into the shop next door open my wallet and realised it was my tenner, ha ha i was sickened.

The next day i was walking by and i decided to pop in and see if it was still there, i wasn't go to ask for it back (i'm not Larry David) i just had a feeling it would be robbed. Sure enough it was gone, the small pile of 2p's were still there so someone just took the tenner. Scumbags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I cant stand charities. I dont know why I feel this way, but I feel really uncomfortable when I say no to them when they are at my car window at a traffic light. I feel guilty for not wanting to give my money to some random cause. A few times, its just been people with a bucket and a hi-vis vest on, no idea what charity they were representing, on pretending to represent.

I also dont understand why the Fire Brigade are out a lot doing it. I see them in Drogheda from time to time, at the lights, asking for money. Im sure we already pay for the fire service, so why do they need donations?

Its got to the point that I feel angry when I see them, and I dont want to feel angry. I also know of a few collectors going around for Troica, or whatever that famous Irish charity is called, and they are scamming it all the time. One came to work for me once and he was telling me some of the things they used to get up to. Id never give any money to any of them, and thats a real shame because Im sure there are loads of genuine good causes out there, but they are usually, almost certainly always, headed by filthy rich clowns taking advantage of gullible mugs who feel pressured into paying out.

What about the ones in town who ask if you want to donate for say "poor children" and when I say "no thanks" they retort with "You dont want to help the poor children?" to try and make me feel guilty. They disgust me and every time they try and embarrass me now, I am well prepared to completely embarrass them with a public showing up. I feel so annoyed by them, and prepare myself for them when I see them about to interrupt me on my business, that I almost feel disappointed when one of them is decent enough and accepts my initial "no thanks" with a "no problem, have a nice day".

We don't openly accept or allow beggars on the street, people who probably really desperately need immediate assistance, yet we are permitting professional begging on an epic scale.

Another thing which I dont like, is when kids try and pack my bags for me in a supermarket. Of course they want you to donate to whatever it is they represent, but I really dont want to give my money to anyone when under pressure like that. However I feel embarrassed to say no to a kid as its a bit scabby, so I give my girlfriend the money and let her pay and she has no problem saying no to them. I know that might sound petty, but why should I be bothered in an actual shop when Im just trying to do my shopping? Its put me off going to Dunnes.

Ive just realised what a miserable git I am....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This is the real issue here, why the f*ck do shops expect you to take the hit for their lack of decent management.

'Sorry we have no 1 cent coins.' *closes till

'That's cool, just gimme a two cent coin and I will owe you a cent.' *stands there looking dumbfounded*

I'm looking at you Gamestop.

im looking at you easons, o connel st
    bought something there l8ly, change was 1cent, I waited for it because I knew yer one serving me didnt wanna give it to me, she gave me the receipt, which said i had got my 1 cent change, which I hadnt, then she gave me a look like I was scum lol

I was actually lucky enough to have the exact change this time, after the Jazz weekend i had lots of change.

you could have stepped up to the counter and got rid of all your "change" to help them out - did you do that? Wouldn't that have been a much more positive experience for you, rather than wasting your energy trying to think you know what the manager was thinking ?

:rolleyes:

you could have stepped up to the counter and got rid of all your "change" to help them out - did you do that? Wouldn't that have been a much more positive experience for you, rather than wasting your energy trying to think you know what the manager was thinking ?

:rolleyes:

Some people just love to complain, whatever the topic!

And to reciprocate your favourite emoticon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now go away and stop fishing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If if wasn't for the owner,the shop would not exist and there would be no place to put the charity box
    That argument would make sense if the charity got the money.

The charity will loose out on money in other shops because people will think they have already contributed.

Some people just love to complain, whatever the topic!

And to reciprocate your favourite emoticon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now go away and stop fishing.

they do say that the "faults" you find in someone else are actually subconsciously your OWN faults. I refer you to the author of this thread. :rolleyes::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Lots of shops do this. Take out change and put notes back. If this guy had bad motives he would not do it infrount of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Doesn't mean they have to steal from it, and so blatantly obvious to the customers too.

So you're saying all owners should steal from the poor box to keep their till afloat? The customers put that change in the charity box for a reason and i doubt they will put it in there if the charity was called ' Straight into my till Fund'

How do you know he didn't replace it? You have absolutely no proof that when the till was cashed up at the end of the day whatever amount it was over by wasn't put back into the charity box. So until you can say without a doubt the money wasn't replaced then STFU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i never put money in the charity box on the counter in the hugely popular cafe the op is probably talking about, they make billions in profit and have the cheek to ask customers to donate
    its the same with argos here in Ireland. they have charity boxes for a foreign charity, the cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

1210m5g wrote: »
    The next day i was walking by and i decided to pop in and see if it was still there, i wasn't go to ask for it back (i'm not Larry David) i just had a feeling it would be robbed. Sure enough it was gone, the small pile of 2p's were still there so someone just took the tenner. Scumbags.
    I used to work in a shop where the charity boxes were stolen on occasion. For this reason we would often (or as "often" as notes were donated) remove notes from the charity box and store them somewhere safer than the counter which was easily accessible to the public, and then give them to the charity rep when they called to collect.
    Of course, you could always just groundlessly assume the worst about people.
    i never put money in the charity box on the counter in the hugely popular cafe the op is probably talking about, they make billions in profit and have the cheek to ask customers to donate
    Do they ask you to donate, though? Or do they simply provide you with the opportunity to donate if you so wish? They may donate and get such a buzz from being charitable that they like to give their customers the opportunity to share the enjoyment of the belief that they are not complete tightarses.

Advertisement