Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fighting Irish My Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You lament the fact that Irish people dont fight and the when they do you disparage their attempts to resist. You seem to want it both ways.

The pikemen, 1798 was a complex revolt against the British involving the deaths of about an estimated 30,000 people. 1916 was a rising by a small group of rebels against a vastly superior force. As for how the majority reacted, how do you know the majority directed their anger at the rebels(this is what I presume you mean)? How many instances were their of people trowing stones and spitting at the rebels?

Roughly 3,000 volunteers took part in the 1916 rebellion. At the same time over 200,000 Irishmen were fighting for Great Britain in the first world war. The Irish Parliamentary Party condemned the rebellion, at that time they represented 75% of the Irish electorate. It was only after the execution of the leaders of the rebellion, particularly the shooting of the badly injured Connolly, while strapped to a chair, that public opinion began to change.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Look at my position on Sinn Fein

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=267604&forum=1431&sort=best&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A%3A%2A&page=2

Its amazing that there are people in this country who think that if you are angry about the state of the nation that you must be some revolutionary terrorist. Absolutely pathetic.

contradicting everything you say
    your an idiot and pathetic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Robbo wrote: »
    Has anyone chimed in yet with a baleful quote from Yeats, showing that they too have a vague recollection of the Leaving Cert poetry syllabus?

Hey, I went straight for Kipling man!

bluecode wrote: »
    The 'fighting Irish' reputation comes from our emigrants and those who served in every army under the sun and their reputation for drunkeness and fighting amongst each other and against others. It's not just a cliche either. We continue with this baleful tradition to this day particularly in Australia apparently.

Your view of history is simplistic. One of the many myths of Irish history is that we were oppressed by the 'Imperial British yoke' all the time. The truth is not so comfortable. All too often the oppression came from fellow Irishmen and I'm not just talking about the Anglo Irish. Look what happened since independance. We just replaced one bunch of oppressors for a slightly more greedy bunch of oppressive hyprocrites.

It seems we cannot rule ourselves successfully. We remain the joke country of Europe.

I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

mikom wrote: »
    Do you know where the word boycott comes from?

Geoffrey Boycott the redoubtable Yorkshire and England cricketer???

• Advertisement

saiint wrote: »
    contradicting everything you say
    your an idiot and pathetic :pac:

;)

"The Irish march to the sound of guns like salmon to the sea." You can't just latch on to the rough verbal framework of an attributed cultural characteristic and use it to swing into your current area of interest. It's like the opening sentence of a dodgy Independent opinion piece.

I just did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aren't you short by 100 years? 800 years is the standard period to be oppressed.
    At the signal it will be 843 years , 6 months , 30 days and three hours <Beeeeep!>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I just did.

I'm sorry. You're correct. I should have phrased that as "If you're going to do this, you're going to look like a tool, and demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about, but just want a rabble."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

The OP has a point - look how many "proud" Irish people actively seek to kill off the league of Ireland while then singing Fields of Athenry with tears rolling down their cheeks in some British stadium at 11 multi-millionaires playing for a club with "Irish connections..."

It truly is freaky. There is something not right at all with us as a people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

how many "proud" Irish people actively seek to kill off the league of Ireland while then singing Fields of Athenry with tears rolling down their cheeks in some British stadium at 11 multi-millionaires playing for a club with "Irish connections..."

What is the capacity of the stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The fighting was normally between the Irish and normally when drunk.

What is the capacity of the stadium?

From 10,638 to 60,355

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_stadiums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Many commentators at home and abroad have remarked how passively the Irish have taken the austerity heaped upon them.

Why should anyone be surprised?

It took nearly 700 years of oppression for us to cast of the imperial British yoke. We suffered religious and cultural persecution, dispossession and multiple famines. And in all that time how did we react? In the usual Irish way. A few pikemen killing their neighbours, a couple of drunken riots, a skirmish in a cabbage patch and an on again off again bank holiday disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings

And how did the majority of Irish people react? They directed their anger at their fellow Irish men and women. The rebels of 1916 were pelted with stones and spat at on their way to Kilmainham.

So lying down and taking it seems to be the Irish way and anybody who points out the injustice of our situation is dismissed as a whinger.

ok

Do you think we could fit the whole population of Ireland into them whilst complying with health and safety regs?

Do you think we could fit the whole population of Ireland into them whilst complying with health and safety regs?

The combined capacity of the listed stadiums is 1,609,153 (slow day in the office), the population of the republic of Ireland is 4,581,269, so we would be 2,972,116 places short. If health and safety regulations would permit use of the pitch space itself then I believe it could be possible, but it would be a tight squeeze.

The combined capacity of the listed stadiums is 1,609,153 (slow day in the office), the population of the republic of Ireland is 4,581,269, so we would be 2,972,116 places short. If health and safety regulations would permit use of the pitch space itself then I believe it could be possible, but it would be a tight squeeze.

That's a lotta tears.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Many commentators at home and abroad have remarked how passively the Irish have taken the austerity heaped upon them.

Why should anyone be surprised?

It took nearly 700 years of oppression for us to cast of the imperial British yoke. We suffered religious and cultural persecution, dispossession and multiple famines. And in all that time how did we react? In the usual Irish way. A few pikemen killing their neighbours, a couple of drunken riots, a skirmish in a cabbage patch and an on again off again bank holiday disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings

And how did the majority of Irish people react? They directed their anger at their fellow Irish men and women. The rebels of 1916 were pelted with stones and spat at on their way to Kilmainham.

So lying down and taking it seems to be the Irish way and anybody who points out the injustice of our situation is dismissed as a whinger.

Are you going to start an uprising, OP? :)

Are you going to start an uprising, OP? :)

I just might Emeraldy Pebbles, I just might.

Of course I would have to think of a catchy nom de guerre first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I just might Emeraldy Pebbles, I just might.

Of course I would have to think of a catchy nom de guerre first.

Sure, sure, we all might. But we won't.

• Advertisement

Sure, sure, we all might. But we won't.

Well the first rule of Irish revolution 2013 is "don't talk about Irish revolution 2013", especially not on the internet and especially not on AH.

Previous revolutions failed because they were riddled with informers. :cool:

That's a lotta tears.......

If 1,609,153 people were to cry simultaneously would it be possible for them to cry me a river or at least a valley of tears?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Small children could sit on parents laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Fighting Irish My Arse

Rubbish, the Irish are extremely ferocious and warlike. In fact most would even murder a pint.

Small children could sit on parents laps.

Yeah, put them along in a line........... We could call it Saville row....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

If 1,609,153 people were to cry simultaneously would it be possible for them to cry me a river or at least a valley of tears?

An ocean of emotion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

They include you OP.
    Min wrote: »
    What rubbish, it has been human greed and selfishness that has done damage to this country, time and time again.
    Yep, the catholic church.

Madam_X wrote: »
    They include you OP.

Yep, the catholic church.

3,360 posts since June this year? No wonder you don't have time to think before you type.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The OP has a point - look how many "proud" Irish people actively seek to kill off the league of Ireland

Well thats probably down to the Celtic Tiger.

I just dont expect ****e anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Rubbish, the Irish are extremely ferocious and warlike. In fact most would even murder a pint.

yes and even more would devour "a small boiled Child"

Advertisement