Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

http://www.starwars7news.com/2014/07/kevin-smith-talks-star-wars-episode-7-confirms-stormtroopers.html
    Smith noted that he had signed a non-disclosure agreement so he couldn’t talk any specifics, but he did say that he saw costumes, characters and sets that took him back to his childhood.

“They had a sign at on the stage – I can’t even say which stage – which had the Imperial Starship logo and it said, ‘loose lips sink starships”.

“I’m really excited and you know, people keep saying that I liked the last trilogy and I did. I liked 1, 2 and 3. But I liked them as an adult, when I watched them they didn’t give me the same feeling I had when I was seven watching them for the first time and that’s fine. This movie though… Dude, I cried four times. The seven year old in me came. [J.J] has f**cking captured it, man. He has nailed it.”

Due to the non-disclosure agreement, Smith couldn’t say much more but he gave his co-host Ralph Garman a pad with some words to read out which he then nodded to in agreement. When asked, “did you see Stormtroopers?”, Smith nodded his head with the biggest smile on his face.

Smith also confirmed lightsabres and blasters, but that was pretty much a given.

Two comments that I would love to see happen:
    With some kind of imperial remnant still around, we can probably safely assume that von Sydow is the warlord trying to fill the Emperor’s shoes. A former high-ranking officer who managed to seize control over parts of the surviving but vastly weakened Imperial structures, I guess.

The casting call originally said that they wanted this: “Seventy something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour.” I actually think it’s more likely that he’ll be playing an Imperial leader over a Sith Lord.
    Would the Empire be the villain though? Given their track record, it’d be an obvious yes, but JJ/Disney/Lucas could apply a twist to it. Like they’re maintaining a few systems, instead of most of the galaxy, with a reinstated senate holding their own territories. They could simply be focusing on themselves and no longer on a conquest, with a stable peace treaty with the former Rebel Alliance. Some new enemy appears, attempting to overthrow EVERYBODY and initiate another all-out war and they need help.
    an alliance against a new threat featuring republic and imperial tech would be extremely cool to witness on screen. Imagine rooting for the Stormtroopers!

I would also love the idea of an Empire that is co-opting somebody elses aide (the sith) out of desperation but the other doesn't have the Empire's best interests at heart and ends up crushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

zerks wrote: »

One of the many good things in The Empire Strikes Back is the complete absence of Tatooine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Adamantium wrote: »

Urgh, Kevin Smith. Is he still knocking about? Considering how much he gushed about Episode 1, and it seems still defends that perspective, I'd be slow to get too excited about his thoughts on #7. I rank him as about as credible an opinion as Harry from aintitcool.

This might well be the plot for Ep VII, please PLEASE don't read if you don't want to be spoiled, it's about all the major beats and where the characters are. This said person has apprarently read the 2nd draft of Abrams/Kasdan script. It sounds very legit and.... dark, cold war esque, explains the Empire rumors. Hugely exciting though. I skimmed though it with one eye open. It sounds brilliant and not what was expected. It has a certain greyness/complexity to it and a knowing that ESB was the best of the series.

Remember how ROTJ was supposed to end on a bittersweet note, with
    Luke running off into the unknown like the man with no name, well it sounds like this literally carries off on what would happen if Lucas hadn't his hands all over Jedi.

Here it is:
    I've read the second draft of the Abrams/Kasdan script.

I've chosen a trip so that people can't BS in my name when trailers, other media, and the film itself confirm what I say. I won't post again until then so as not to be accused of attention whoring.

Please don't read unless you want to have the film spoiled.

https://archive.foolz.us/tv/thread/42968246/#q42970809
    >Leia is made leader of the Republic after her predecessor's death
    >Han is a retired veteran of the Republic fleet
    >Luke hasn't been seen in nearly 30 years
    >the lead character is Han and Leia's daughter
    >the other lead is the child of Lando, and either a male or female depending on who is cast
    >the other lead is a Stormtrooper, also either a male or female depending on who is cast
    >dialogue for these two characters is very rough in the second draft
    >Luke has no known offspring
    >The Empire still exists in the form of a number of loyal galaxies and are in a state of cold war with the Republic
    >The Empire is simply referred to as the "Empire," and the Republic is referred to formally only once, as the "Galactic Republic;" no "New" anywhere
    >There are no Jedi whatsoever, and people still speak as if they are extinct, with Luke being "the last of his kind"
    >The main antagonists are an older student of the Emperor, and his apprentice
    >The apprentice takes control of the power dynamic between the two pretty quickly...
    >The Republic are excavating ruins on a neutral world for a weapon; the world factors into tense negotiations the Empire have had with the Republic, and is referred to as the "Sith Homeworld"
    >Loredump: In the script, the Sith are a couple thousand years old, founded by an ancestor of Palpatine called Ruin; the apprentice in this film also goes by that name
    >the ruins within the Sith Homeworld are a control station; the planet itself is the weapon
    >Luke saves the day at the end, but in a bad way; he has changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm tempted to read that, very tempted! But think I'll pass. How spoilerific are we talking about here? Is it basically something that a trailer, and publicity in the lead-up to the film would have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm tempted to read that, very tempted! But think I'll pass. How spoilerific are we talking about here? Is it basically something that a trailer, and publicity in the lead-up to the film would have?

The last line of the post above yours is VERY spoilerific. (but not entirely un-guessable)

Ending and character spoiling, So stay clear. ;)

You could read the first 1/3 or so comfortably, maybe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

JJ continues the "Force for change" ad campaign:

CatInABox wrote: »
    JJ continues the "Force for change" ad campaign:

Did anyone else notice the slightly 80's looking grainy warm feel of the footage here?
    I guess its to give you an idea of what the film could possibly look like. 
    Looks like Ralph McQuarrie inspiration is a well that never runs dry.

There's a rumour going around about the opening hot and first section of the movie that sounds horrifically implausible sentimental and contrived, that it can't be true. No way Abrams and Kasdan would do it, it's child stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamantium wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the slightly 80's looking grainy warm feel of the footage here?
    I guess its to give you an idea of what the film could possibly look like. 
    Looks like Ralph McQuarrie inspiration is a well that never runs dry.

There's a rumour going around about the opening hot and first section of the movie that sounds horrifically implausible sentimental and contrived, that it can't be true. No way Abrams and Kasdan would do it, it's child stuff.

I really hope they move back to the feel of the originals and not the super digital, fake looking prequels. They've aged horribly looks wise, ironically Episode 1 is the most "Star Wars-y" looking one since a lot of it was shot on locations and sets.

What's the rumour about the opening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong Star Wars experts, but that doesn't look like an X-Wing to me, least not the back of it; there's only two engines and it doesn't look like wings expand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, correct me if I'm wrong Star Wars experts, but that doesn't look like an X-Wing to me, least not the back of it; there's only two engines and it doesn't look like wings expand out.

No, it's not the traditional X-wing featured in Ep4-6. However, to me it strongly resembles the early X-wing concept art that Ralph McQuarrie did for Star Wars.

So even though the ship JJ Abrams is standing next appears to have two engines, my guess is it actually has four and will have split wings like the traditional X-Wing. The fact that JJ's ship appears to have four of those cannons on the wings and sort of horizontal split in the jet further suggests that the wings will split like a classic X-Wing.

Check McQuarrie's drawing to see what I mean :

tie-attacks-an-x-wing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Disney tweeted that it is in fact an "Episode VII X-Wing" and not the Z-95 Headhunter it seems to have more in common with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

pixelburp wrote: »

Guesswork from a German fansite:

20140721-x-wing-fluegel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The timeline for Episode VII is set thirty years after Episode VI, so this could simply be the next stage in design for the X-Wing. I expect the Millennium Falcon to have received a number of special modifications as well. :D From what we can see in the image above, it doesn't look like those wings will split, but maybe the final version will or at least when they use CGI for battle sequences.

Personally, I think this image is more revealing of the story than anything else. Why is this 'X-Wing' looking beaten up and in rough shape? Why are there no Republic or Galactic Senate markings, or even Imperial? Is this a personal ship or one that belongs to a fleet of 'X-Wings'? Also, (iirc), X-Wings were traditionally given a red paint job, so why is this blue? I would guess that this is Luke's personal ship and has modified it for his needs, and removed markings so he can travel almost anonymously.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Why is this 'X-Wing' looking beaten up and in rough shape?

Simple - to show this is in the real star wars universe, and not the shiny plastic prequel universe.

I love how all the paint beneath and around the door is flaking and peeling from constant friction and use, it reminds me of farm equipment that's decades old but is still utilitarian and functional.

Such a small detail, but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why is this 'X-Wing' looking beaten up and in rough shape?
    Simple - to show this is in the real star wars universe, and not the shiny plastic prequel universe.

Exactly.

In the real world, not that Star Wars is the real world obviously, military vehicles get beat up REALLY quickly. It takes a lot of work from many ground crew to keep a single plane in flyable condition and when on operations, there's no time for touching up paint, or cleaning carbon deposits off of gun muzzles, or washing, etc.

I'm actually very impressed with the level of detail that's been put into the fighter in that Jar Jar Abrams clip.

I just hope the rest of the film has such attention lavished upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The timeline for Episode VII is set thirty years after Episode VI, so this could simply be the next stage in design for the X-Wing. I expect the Millennium Falcon to have received a number of special modifications as well. :D From what we can see in the image above, it doesn't look like those wings will split, but maybe the final version will or at least when they use CGI for battle sequences.

Personally, I think this image is more revealing of the story than anything else. Why is this 'X-Wing' looking beaten up and in rough shape? Why are there no Republic or Galactic Senate markings, or even Imperial? Is this a personal ship or one that belongs to a fleet of 'X-Wings'? Also, (iirc), X-Wings were traditionally given a red paint job, so why is this blue? I would guess that this is Luke's personal ship and has modified it for his needs, and removed markings so he can travel almost anonymously.

They are in the original movies too, one of the best things about the originals is how lived in the universe looks.

Absolute drool...

It seems we'll be getting Empire action in this movie, which to be honest was the only "realistic" ending of Episode VI (Empire weakened, but only slightly) it does lose it's fairytale definite ending feel though continuing the saga, which had it's appeal too.

Endless wars are the norm in real life, but aren't appealing when they go on too (Afghanistan hello) for hero stories.

Me thinks it's Abrams dream to make a classic OT style movie with all the wonder of modern techniques at his disposal.

I'm not complaining at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Listening to Newstalk here, seems they will be filming on Skellig Micheal for part of Ep 7 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,461 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

the_monkey wrote: »
    Listening to Newstalk here, seems they will be filming on Skellig Micheal for part of Ep 7 !!

A great location if true.

A Jedi hidden away for decades seeking inner peace and understanding of the Force would suit that location very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

yeah, I'm betting this will be used as Lukes hideout...

SCEILIG MHICHÍL TO FEATURE IN STAR WARS
    http://www.the-arcade.ie/2014/07/sceilig-mhichil-to-feature-in-star-wars/

The Kerrys Eye has confirmed this morning that part of the next Star Wars film will be shot on one of the most remote and historic settlements in Ireland, Skellig Michael.
    1280px-Skellig_Michael03js.jpg
    The Office of Public Works has stated that “Skellig Michael is being made available for a film production shoot on the island… this production is being fully supported by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Irish Film Board“. The paper is reporting that the news is very welcome by locals and hopes that it will rev up tourism and interest in the local area.

david75 wrote: »
    yeah, I'm betting this will be used as Lukes hideout...

SCEILIG MHICHÍL TO FEATURE IN STAR WARS
    http://www.the-arcade.ie/2014/07/sceilig-mhichil-to-feature-in-star-wars/

The Kerrys Eye has confirmed this morning that part of the next Star Wars film will be shot on one of the most remote and historic settlements in Ireland, Skellig Michael.
    1280px-Skellig_Michael03js.jpg
    The Office of Public Works has stated that “Skellig Michael is being made available for a film production shoot on the island… this production is being fully supported by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Irish Film Board“. The paper is reporting that the news is very welcome by locals and hopes that it will rev up tourism and interest in the local area.

Luke to gain further training from order of ancient monks? :P
    Before the prequels I always imagined the Jedi were rare and lived in isolated and remote places like this secluded by barriers, and extremely hard to sought out and find.

Not dead smack in the middle of the capital world in apartments and palaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

In a galaxy, small, and far far away.

A great location if true.

A Jedi hidden away for decades seeking inner peace and understanding of the Force would suit that location very well.

Indeed ... sounds nice .. I can imagine it will be barely regognisable tho with all the CGI added ... but who knows ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well that's Co Kerry set up for future tourism :P

Luke's hideout ?

IS the general story known or what ? - sorry for my ignorance here, I'm a "seasonal" SW fan :D

Also Abrams is involved is good , but please tell me Lindehoff will have nothing to do with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,461 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Indeed ... sounds nice .. I can imagine it will be barely regognisable tho with all the CGI added ... but who knows ..

I've been out there quite a few times not much CGI needed to make it look remote, scary, ancient, holy, spiritual etc to be honest.

• Advertisement

Also Abrams is involved is good , but please tell me Lindehoff will have nothing to do with it ?

Abrams and Kasdan are writing it. No word of Lindelof, Kurtzman or Orci writing, producing, co-producing or co-executive producing.

Advertisement