Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Abrams had narrative and pacing reasons for not wanting to show Leia consoling Chewie. That's not the problem. The problem as he acknowledges is the blocking. If Chewie hadn't walked right past Leia in the shot nobody would have thought about why she doesn't hug him. He should have had Chewie pass Leia earlier in the establishing shot, or had them go in a slightly different direction than the one Leia was coming from. It's a directing error rather a script problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure if posted before, but this is really cool - a fan made short starring Darth Maul.
    (it's either post it here, or dig up the phantom menace thread, and that thread deserves to be lost in the past).

Very slick, though. Took 2 years to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Harrisons response to the question asked at 3:07 is VERY similar to the response he gave two years ago when asked if he was going to be in the Force Awakens......interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So believe it or not I only got around to seeing this tonight :p

I have to be honest.. my overall reaction is... underwhelmed!

- Finn's dialogue/attitude just comes off as out of place in many instances what with his "yo cool bro" lingo
    - Renn is a very poor villain and clearly nowhere near the talent of his grandfather. Also hard to understand through the mask at times?
    - Who let yer man Voldemont from Harry Potter into this?
    - The opening sequences up to where Han and Chewie (conveniently) turn up and intercept the Falcon was too blatantly lifted from the original film. Ditto the ending - complete with trench!
    - Actually there was lots lifted from the original trilogy, right down to the quest at the end (massive echos of the end of TESB)
    - Speaking of convenient, oh look it's the Falcon just sitting there gathering dust. Oh look after crashing on an alien world, Finn just happens to stumble on the same settlement Rey and BB8 are at right at that moment
    - Oh cool the silver Stormtrooper looks badass... oh wait, she's barely in it!

On the plus side...

- Less CGI = good. Definitely superior visually to the prequels - Effects/battles were impressive but I'm long past being solely impressed by CGI and there were one or two dodgy effects though (like when the wall explodes in front of the Stormtroopers during the X-Wing attack)
    - It was nice to see Han, Chewie and Leia back

So while it was a definite improvement over the prequels , as a whole I thought it was a poor entry unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

py2006 wrote: »
    Harrisons response to the question asked at 3:07 is VERY similar to the response he gave two years ago when asked if he was going to be in the Force Awakens......interesting

I wouldn't be surprised if he returned in the former of a post-mortum hologram. Perhaps something left for his family, Chewie or Luke, in the event of tragedy. It'd be the easiest solution to keep his presence in the story without any crazy retconning of events

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

@kaiser, did you see it in the cinema or at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I laughed so much, I think my neighbours are gonna have me committed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I wanted to like it but was fairly nonplussed by it all, Kylo was the most interesting character and I thought the actor had the features to pull off the face reveal.

BB-8 was my favourite character much like TARS from Interstellar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

<snip>

I was terribly disappointed in the prequels. I thought this was worse. I had such high hopes. Gutted. The supposed humour fell flat for me, I can't remember any of the music. I was expecting to cry like a baby for 'That' scene and that too fell flat. Terrible Terrible Terrible. I think Nostalgia got the better of positive reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I watched this again last night and I still thought it was great. And will watch it again in 2 weeks when it comes out on Bluray.

I am convinced on second viewing that Han/Leia/Chewie know who Rey really is.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I watched this again last night and I still thought it was great. And will watch it again in 2 weeks when it comes out on Bluray.

I am convinced on second viewing that Han/Leia/Chewie know who Rey really is.

The way she finishes his sentences has you thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,993 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i really enjoyed it at the cinema, but I think I will rewatch it tonight. Am really looking forward to it actually

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Saw it twice in the cinema. Enjoyed even more second time, I think I appreciated it more and I left the cinema on the second occasion pretty sure I knew who Rey was.

It's definitely not without its faults, but the overall story arc is really interesting and I'm looking forward to Episode VIII to see where it goes. In the meantime I can't wait to get the DVD in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Yeah watch it again today with the kids. Have to say enjoyed it again its not perfect but I thought it was really good. for the record the kids were not as engaged the second time... Take what you will from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Anyone recommend the best place to pick up the blu ray when its out? HMV have it listed at €24.99

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭irishgoldberg

Saw it twice in cinema and both me and my son really enjoyed it. He broke his arm recently and has watched it 3 tomes more and seems to enjoy it more every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Simply Red wrote: »
    Anyone recommend the best place to pick up the blu ray when its out? HMV have it listed at €24.99

Amazon probably. Not sure where you are but they often deliver on the day of release if you pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

After my own rant about the film the other night, I watched a few youtube critiques. I think this one perfectly sums up exactly what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry to interrupt, guys, but I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the following part of the charter.

The flagrant discussion, promoting, boasting/bragging of watching illegally downloaded or pirated movies will result in a forum ban. The forum is for the discussion of film as an art and media form. If you have an issue with paying to watch movies, then take it up with the film makers/cinema/studio or FACT.

Some posts have been edited or deleted.

This may not be a rule in other forums but it is here and we'd appreciate if everyone could abide by it please. Any questions, send me or one of the other mods a PM, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'd be careful posting a video like that round here buddy. The natives will lynch you. :p

I don't agree with everything he says. To call this weaker than the prequels is ridiculous. JJ is a far superior director than Lucas. Its not coincidence that the best film of the entire series, Empire strikes back, he spent most of it side lined.

However he does voice many opinions that I'm on board with. Ep 7 is too much of a rehash of what we have already seen. This is not a new tale by any stretch. It's almost like a reboot.

And Rey is the quintessential Mary Sue. Hes so spot on here. Shes just too good at everything. It's frustrating to watch her save the day in nearly every scene shes in. Luke was a whiney, protected, naïve farmboy. He was a hero but he had flaws out the wazoo. He got tied up, knocked out, nearly eaten by a wompa, disfigured by vader, failed in his training with yoda, etc. etc.

Having watched the film three times now in the cinema, I have warmed to it a little more. It's not a bad film by any stretch and there is a lot to like in it. Its just disappointing because its not new. I wanted a new star wars tale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

py2006 wrote: »
    The way she finishes his sentences has you thinking.

And there's just something great there when He goes 'you got a name?' And she says Rey, and as he says Rey, just his face. Definitely knows who she is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Kirby wrote: »
    I'd be careful posting a video like that round here buddy. The natives will lynch you. :p

I don't agree with everything he says. To call this weaker than the prequels is ridiculous. JJ is a far superior director than Lucas. Its not coincidence that the best film of the entire series, Empire strikes back, he spent most of it side lined.

However he does voice many opinions that I'm on board with. Ep 7 is too much of a rehash of what we have already seen. This is not a new tale by any stretch. It's almost like a reboot.

And Rey is the quintessential Mary Sue. Hes so spot on here. Shes just too good at everything. It's frustrating to watch her save the day in nearly every scene shes in. Luke was a whiney, protected, naïve farmboy. He was a hero but he had flaws out the wazoo. He got tied up, knocked out, nearly eaten by a wompa, disfigured by vader, failed in his training with yoda, etc. etc.

Having watched the film three times now in the cinema, I have warmed to it a little more. It's not a bad film by any stretch and there is a lot to like in it. Its just disappointing because its not new. I wanted a new star wars tale.

To the Mary Sue accusation upon watching it again l, there's a scene in the forest where she's quickly tryna figure out the blaster and a stormtrooper shoots at her and she just leans her head back slightly without even seeing it as it flies past her head.

The indication being in that moment and many others that she has possibly had force training or as the films title informs us, the force has awoken in her and she's a natural with it. View it through that thinking and the Mary Sue thing is a nonsense. The point is they're setting it up to show she's extremely powerful even though untrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Was in Disney Store Grafton St yesterday you can preorder Blu Ray for €17.50.
    veganrun wrote: »
    Amazon probably. Not sure where you are but they often deliver on the day of release if you pre-order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The days of charging 20 quid for a single movie are long gone. Maybe they think they can get away with it because its Star wars....and maybe they will. But its like 25 quid from amazon and that's still way too high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The days of charging 20 quid for a single movie are long gone.

Not really. The days when blockbusters being re-released on disc as an 'event' are more or less in the past (this may be an exception), but plenty of companies have enjoyed significant success by sustaining a market for premium and high-quality DVD/Blu-Ray releases. Often happily pay in excess of 20 quid for Masters of Cinema and Arrow releases, and even higher price points haven't hurt Criterion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

The days of charging 20 quid for a single movie are long gone. Maybe they think they can get away with it because its Star wars....and maybe they will. But its like 25 quid from amazon and that's still way too high.

The bluray is 15stg from Amazon, that's nowhere near €25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Pssst.....Just wondering. I don't have a blu ray player. So I will be buying the ordinary dvd when it comes out. Do you think will there be any extras on it?. As in the making of or something like that.

• Advertisement

Pssst.....Just wondering. I don't have a blu ray player. So I will be buying the ordinary dvd when it comes out. Do you think will there be any extras on it?. As in the making of or something like that.

Yea, I would say so and deleted scenes etc.

Advertisement