Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5.5m tourism investment announced in Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I respect the opinions of most of the poster's, however if you give the subject some deep thought you can see why the other counties like Carlow, Waterford and tipp are laughing at Kilkenny.
    I do not understand why no one else has picked up on this, it is as plain as a pike staff, yes my friends, what is it kilkenny lacks? I shall now let you into the secret T E S C O .
    Have a nice day Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I respect the opinions of most of the poster's, however if you give the subject some deep thought you can see why the other counties like Carlow, Waterford and tipp are laughing at Kilkenny.
    I do not understand why no one else has picked up on this, it is as plain as a pike staff, yes my friends, what is it kilkenny lacks? I shall now let you into the secret T E S C O .
    Have a nice day Foxy

Tesco being discussed as a draw for tourism? So you want to encourage people from the UK and Europe to come to Kilkenny with a Tesco, because they just don't have supermarkets there do they?

Or you want to encourage visitors from other counties who already have a Tesco to come to Kilkenny so they can compare theirs with ours?

There is no smiley for contempt, but if there was, it would go here>

okay smartie pants can you think of anything else? Obviously not, given we have a magical fantastic city with an array of shops and delights, tourists aren't tempted, like or not stores like Tesco do encourage people to spend.
    So in stead of looking for smart answers to a serious post, do something constructive

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭IanVW

Is there even a bus service operating in kilkenny for people to get around?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

IanVW wrote: »
    Is there even a bus service operating in kilkenny for people to get around?

No, it's not that big, everywhere is in walking distance.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Fat yanks dont like walking lol:):D

I must remind you that using insulting remarks about peoples size will not encourage them to come to Kilkenny, I might take offence at being called a fat anything.
    Boards is a measns of developing interest on given subjects, I might not agree with other's opinions b ut that does n ot give me the right to call them names, it is a rather quick way of turning people off of boards.
    No, we have no need for a bus service, for a kick off Kilkenny was not designed for a bus service, there is I believe a train operating during the summer which would suffice.
    Any way the beauty of Kilkenny is the quaint alley ways and the old buildings.
    We prefer tourists to see the real city and take in the spiritual charm.
    Where the fcuk do we put a bus station.
    Have a nice day Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I must remind you that using insulting remarks about peoples size will not encourage them to come to Kilkenny, I might take offence at being called a fat anything.
    Boards is a measns of developing interest on given subjects, I might not agree with other's opinions b ut that does n ot give me the right to call them names, it is a rather quick way of turning people off of boards.
    No, we have no need for a bus service, for a kick off Kilkenny was not designed for a bus service, there is I believe a train operating during the summer which would suffice.
    Any way the beauty of Kilkenny is the quaint alley ways and the old buildings.
    We prefer tourists to see the real city and take in the spiritual charm.
    Where the fcuk do we put a bus station.
    Have a nice day Foxy

Maybe next to your Tesco?

I just don't see any consistency in that last paragraph with your desire to see a (presumably large) new Supermarket in Kilkenny.

I am sorry you failed to see the humour in the original post, perhaps I will explain, Kilkenny is the only county in Ireland without a Tesco, now perhaps you might enjoy the joke.
    I would of course be concerned if and when they arrive as to where they would build, the integrity of the historic nature of our ciuty must be preserved, albeit we don't want people running round in green outfits with funny hats and pointed shoes.
    The fact is that we need to come up with a solution as to why money is being spend elsewhere with less tourists than we have.
    None of the towns mentioned come near to Kilkenny for historic importance, this must be a similar problem to the people of carrick on suir who goes to Black toms place it doesn't even get a mention.
    So being serious, think of what can be done to encourage people to spend more, unless of course the official figures are wildly incorrect.
    I love Kilkenny and expect others to respect our city and culture

I am sorry you failed to see the humour in the original post, perhaps I will explain, Kilkenny is the only county in Ireland without a Tesco, now perhaps you might enjoy the joke.
    I would of course be concerned if and when they arrive as to where they would build, the integrity of the historic nature of our ciuty must be preserved, albeit we don't want people running round in green outfits with funny hats and pointed shoes.
    The fact is that we need to come up with a solution as to why money is being spend elsewhere with less tourists than we have.
    None of the towns mentioned come near to Kilkenny for historic importance, this must be a similar problem to the people of carrick on suir who goes to Black toms place it doesn't even get a mention.
    So being serious, think of what can be done to encourage people to spend more, unless of course the official figures are wildly incorrect.
    I love Kilkenny and expect others to respect our city and culture

You dont seem to understand that theres very little to do in kilkenny! You havent mentioned anything constructive.. Truth seems to hurt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You dont seem to understand that theres very little to do in kilkenny! You havent mentioned anything constructive.. Truth seems to hurt

There's lots to see though.

There's lots to see though.

I like kilkenny just not that much to do around is all i find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There's a lot in Kilkenny, it's actually a perfect weekender trip.

Yes the castle is a highlight but also a weekend could be filled with visits to Canices Cathedral, Black abbey, Rothe house and gardens, the castle gardens and canal walk, butler house and gardens, lunch, dinner, bars etc...

And then there's the surrounding sites like Kells and Jerpoint to name a few.

But without the doubt the highlight would be getting the **** kicked out of you around midnight on John street.

catbear wrote: »
    There's a lot in Kilkenny, it's actually a perfect weekender trip.

Yes the castle is a highlight but also a weekend could be filled with visits to Canices Cathedral, Black abbey, Rothe house and gardens, the castle gardens and canal walk, butler house and gardens, lunch, dinner, bars etc...

And then there's the surrounding sites like Kells and Jerpoint to name a few.

But without the doubt the highlight would be getting the **** kicked out of you around midnight on John street.

Lol i think that happens everywhere:)

If Falte Ireland is unable to add the figures for revenue generated in 2011, I may be wrong but this then casts great doubt as to the validity of everything else.
    There is no way that any tourist is going to spend a vast sum in Carlow, this is not a snub on the county but there is very little there, whereas Kilkenny has so much to offer.
    The only way one can concoct the figure for Carlow is to include the hotel costs where the coaches have done an overnight stop, they only pass through Kilkenny on the way to Waterford and further west.
    But seeing the figures are incorrect anyway, it is all meaningless.
    I think the figures are on page 4.
    Lets ask for a more detailed study, of how and where the figures come from, if proven wrong it should be someones head on the block.
    We take no prisoners

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I like kilkenny just not that much to do around is all i find

despite the fact that there have been a lot of suggestions in previous posts for things to do and see in Kilkenny town and county you still think there is nothing to do......what do you think KK is missing?
    What can you do in other towns & counties that you feel is so badly missing here? What do you think is needed in KK? Serious question...?
    I am interested that someonee else finds so little to do here wen I think theres loads...I know its personal tastes and all that but Im just intersted to see how and why opinions vary so much....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I actually can't understand people who say there's nothing to do here. Theres loads to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

One problem I find with Kilkenny is if you dont have a car you cant really go anywhere outside the city. Lots to do in the city but much more in the countryside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Inistioge, Castlecomer, Graiguenamanagh, Thomastown, Callan and a lot of beautiful places in between with plenty to do. Shur, where else would you get it?

Kilkenny Tourism brochure incase you're stuck for something to do.

• Advertisement

I enjoy when we get positive reaction, or any discussion come to that.
    However, when the Castle is taken as the main attraction for Kilkenny, it makes one wonder why.
    We can't argue the fact that it is a draw and the city as a whole, though it is not classed as a destination, somewhere coaches come through stop and then drive on, maybe the cost of the hotels, or perhaps other places make it worth the coach company coming?
    Just stop for a while and think, we have lots of beauty spots coach tourists never see, Bennettsbridge, Mosses, Flame in the Candle etc, Thomastown it has the Water Garden and some stunning views, Inistoige, no coach would venture up to Woodstock, it is heaven on earth, Graigenamanach, it could be a tourists delight, Castlecomber the museum and the gardens, getting coach tours would give these places a boost.
    I see Callan was mentioned, not unless someone does something very quickly it portrays Ireland more like fifty years ago especially Bridge St
    There are opportunites to be had.
    Pity about local buses though, but in the main if you come by coach you don't need them or if you have your own transport you don't need them.

I agree with the posts that say there's loads to do but put it into perspective. Kilkenny castle, big famous castle, click, click, on you go to the next sight. A lot of tourists come touring in Ireland, as in they'll move around, so Kilkenny Castle in the morning, then onto the Rock of Cashel for the afternoon and a few scoops in Cork for the evening (or create your own variation). That's why I was saying earlier the south east needs to promote itself and get people to base themselves in the south east, Kilkenny being the central location, it would hopefully appeal. If Tourism Ireland say, there's loads to do in Ireland and tourists only have eight days to it, then they're not going to spend too much time in Kilkenny.

Yes it is a very nice brochure, showing plenty to do, not much use if you come by coach for the short trip,. but that is being negative.
    Though it bothers me greatley that tourist do not see the beauty of the south east, so much is missed.
    What happened to Laurie Maher museum at Tullaroan is it still there? I see the parking in Friary Street appears to have been removed, but small items, what about the house on greens bridge that has it's own traffic light in the front garden, that must be unique in British Isles.
    Harry Clarke the great stained glass artist, world renown, there hangs two of his creations in St Aidan's kilmanagh, surely worth a mention.
    Mosses and the candle factory in Bennettsbridge, the Watergarden Thomastown, now what about St Mullins?
    We have so much, though I object to this County thing for tourism we are the South East and proud of it

What's that about a traffic light in the garden?

Yea the house on the bend of the bridge, has it's own traffic light, cos it can't get outy with any safety when the others have right of way. I reckon its dead cute, but you know my mentality on things. Good cycling expected to see you on the Paris -Nice. Regards Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Threadhead wrote: »
    Inistioge, Castlecomer, Graiguenamanagh, Thomastown, Callan and a lot of beautiful places in between with plenty to do. Shur, where else would you get it?
    Most of Europe really. Except central Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Sky King wrote: »
    I actually can't understand people who say there's nothing to do here. Theres loads to do.

Isn't there an ice rink going into the Castle Park for the summer??

I f the intention is of making Kilkenny a destination rather than somewhere to pass through, apart from the Castle how is the city being sold as, what are the virtues of Kilkenny.
    Building wise, the Black Abbey, St Mary's, St Canices, Rothe house, anymore, hardly mind boggling, Art Galleries, Butler House, not exactly the Tate.
    There is a plethora of sports, you won't see that during the weekdays, we do not have even a hurling museum in the city, who comes to see the turf at Nowland Park, Kilkenny is the team, okay I suppose, wouldn't it be nice if tourists were taken to the home of hurling.
    We do not get a marching band coming through the high st or playing on the mayors walk.
    We are getting an amusement arcade, wow
    Come on Kilkenny we have to sell ourselves, I think slavery has been abolished

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I f the intention is of making Kilkenny a destination rather than somewhere to pass through, apart from the Castle how is the city being sold as, what are the virtues of Kilkenny.
    Building wise, the Black Abbey, St Mary's, St Canices, Rothe house, anymore, hardly mind boggling,

Whilst you may not think much of these buildings many others do find them very interesting to visit.

Take an American for example, not to generalise but for them historic is maybe 2-300 years old. For us, some of our newest buildings are that old :pac:

But seriously, there's something seriously wrong in this country, we take our historic buildings for granted and think nothing of them...this likely explains why over the decades we;ve allowed so many old buildings to be removed.

Outside of Kilkenny there's plenty of historic sites and once again one thats been overlooked again and again has been Kells Priory, a very impressive site to visit even now.

Seeing it from the air you really realise just how large it is

10_IMG_0626.jpg

• Advertisement

Wow never seen that picture before, that really neds putting about, thank you. as an aside perhaps I should take to an occasional Red Bull.
    Yes I do appreciate our old buildings, I look at them and wonder how they managed to build such magnificent structures, who built them and under what hardship.
    There is, unless some vandal has removed it, a fantastic fireplace in the sports shop on High St the one opposite Coffee Pot lane, it is as far as I know covered over, must pop in and renew my acquaintance with it, they could be trying to avoid the camera totting tourists.
    I guess few people pay attention to some of the door ways, Patrick St, Castle Road, and no one mentions Winchester Square, now there is a treasure, not unless that has been knocked.
    Perhaps i do not portray my love of the old, every time i come out of Market Cross the back way into that lane I despair at the lost opportunity of building a micro village of antique and gift shops so loved by tourists.
    The lanes in Brighton and the Shambles in york, ah can't give too much away.
    Have a nice day Foxy

Advertisement