Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5.5m tourism investment announced in Kilkenny

Options
  • 30-10-2012 4:34pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/kilkenny-tourism-654624-Oct2012/

MINISTER FOR ENVIRONMENT, Community and Local Government, Phil Hogan today announced a €5.5 million investment in a new “Medieval Mile” tourism project for Kilkenny.

The Medieval Mile will stretch from Kilkenny Castle to St Canince’s Cathedral and Hogan said it will position the city as a “must see” destination for overseas visitors.

The Minister said approval has been secured for investment by Fáilte Ireland in projects along the route including a museum at St Mary’s Church and a Great Garden along the River Nore.

Outlining the details today, Hogan said he was delighted to announce the funding which he said will provide Kilkenny with an economic boost.

“Kilkenny is steeped in rich culture and history, and is already one of Ireland’s top tourist centres,” he said. “This investment will reinforce the city’s position as a major tourism hub and will make it more attractive for people to do business.”

Kilkenny City and County Manager Joe Crockett said the Medieval Mile Project will also strengthen the city’s retail mix and make it more attractive for IT companies and corporate headquarters locations.

The €5.5 million is phase one of a strategic development package worth €15 million to be delivered by Fáilte Ireland and the Kilkenny Local Authorities working with Kilkenny Tourism and local arts interests over the next four years.

The number of international visitors to Kilkenny rose from 206,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2011 which represents 30 per cent of all visitors to the southeast region.

Great news for the City, tourism in Kilkenny is very important for the local economy so its very important its invested in. i would however like to see some investment outside of the City to...it doesn't happen enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Does Phil Hogan have even the slightest bit of shame. An example of the absolute worst of parish politics. Quite simply he has stolen this money from Waterford & given it to Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

comeraghs wrote: »
    Does Phil Hogan have even the slightest bit of shame. An example of the absolute worst of parish politics. Quite simply he has stolen this money from Waterford & given it to Kilkenny.

Err no its not and your comments are completely unfounded,

Look at the numbers, Tourism in Kilkenny is extremely important to the local economy and that of the South East of Ireland...the numbers just don't like.

It would be frankly idiotic not to invest in something that has been proven so important and that creates jobs, the number of international visitors to Kilkenny rose from 206,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2011 which represents 30 per cent of all visitors to the southeast region!. Such important numbers can't and should not be ignored, they should be encouraged!

Also its not like Waterford has been ignored, Waterford is getting 1.5million in funding for Tourism this year and it got 9million in 2010. (handy you likely forgot this eh?) :)

Interesting to see people in Waterford saying how great that was back then but they didn't say how it was neglecting Kilkenny or Wexford back then.

Seems like good old fashioned begrudgery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Waterford has way more industry than we do. Tourism is all we have.

This is great news, not only because it is an investment in an industry which is clearly keeping people employed here, but it has the added side effect of making the town a nicer place to live.

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Great news. But if you think this is going to garner any support for phil from me he can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

comeraghs wrote: »

:DLOL. You talk about parish pump stuff but in fairness that's exactly what your own post reads of. Care to offer proof of this "stolen investment"?
    Delighted for Kilkenny with this investment. It will pay off many times over in tourist revenue. It's upt to Waterford or anywhere else in the country and their respective interests to promote themselves.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Err no its not and your comments are completely unfounded,

Look at the numbers, Tourism in Kilkenny is extremely important to the local economy and that of the South East of Ireland...the numbers just don't like.

It would be frankly idiotic not to invest in something that has been proven so important and that creates jobs, the number of international visitors to Kilkenny rose from 206,000 in 2010 to 214,000 in 2011 which represents 30 per cent of all visitors to the southeast region!. Such important numbers can't and should not be ignored, they should be encouraged!

Also its not like Waterford has been ignored, Waterford is getting 1.5million in funding for Tourism this year and it got 9million in 2010. (handy you likely forgot this eh?) :)

Interesting to see people in Waterford saying how great that was back then but they didn't say how it was neglecting Kilkenny or Wexford back then.

Seems like good old fashioned begrudgery to me.

No we must have stolen them as well...they would never visited on their own free will or anything ;)

Bit like Edinburgh has it's Royal Mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Great news for the City, tourism in Kilkenny is very important for the local economy so its very important its invested in. i would however like to see some investment outside of the City to...it doesn't happen enough.

Have to agree about investing outside of the city. From the 2010 figures you can calculate the average amount spent by each visitor in each county and it makes strange reading.

Average spend per visitor:

Carlow €390
    S. Tipp €394
    Wexford €251
    Waterford €171
    Kilkenny €145

Kilkenny got nearly 3 times as many visitors as Carlow, which earned 23 million a year from overseas tourism, while Kilkenny earned (only) 30 million. If KK had the same money-earning power as Carlow or South Tipp, it would be bringing in over 60 million. Both Kilkenny and Waterford emphasise the city as a destination, where the other counties offer a wide ranging product and seemingly manage to make a lot more money in the process. It's also unfortunate that Kilkenny has the name of being an expensive destination. More money for the county!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It doesn't say that money won't be invested outside the city. €15 million to be invested in local authorities would suggest county and city (they'll be all the one soon enough anyway). €5.5 million is going into this project which leaves €9.5 million to go elsewhere. I know they're doing €500,000 cycleway between Kilkenny and Carlow (I believe a waste of money as it's hard-shouldered), I don't know if this is included in the €15 million or not.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hey Comeragh, you should get behind the property tax as that way nasty Kilkenny people won't be able to steal Waterford taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

catbear wrote: »
    Hey Comeragh, you should get behind the property tax as that way nasty Kilkenny people won't be able to steal Waterford taxes.

Now that you mention property tax, 5.5 million euros represents the property tax of 55,000 households. I'm starting to wonder if this is a good deal after all. Cork city has 43000 households so I hope nobody tells them their entire property tax is going to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

And to make it even better, John McGuinness can't claim any credit!

Mankbag wrote: »
    And to make it even better, John McGuinness can't claim any credit!
    I'm sure he'll try though...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

With an ear to the ground, I've heard a lot of talk in tourism circles in the past 18 months that Kilkenny is being modelled on Edinburgh going forward. No bad thing if you ask me.

Expect a lot of people roaming the streets in funny costumes over the next few years.

Okay, a lot more people roaming the streets in funny costumes.

Threadhead wrote: »
    With an ear to the ground, I've heard a lot of talk in tourism circles in the past 18 months that Kilkenny is being modelled on Edinburgh going forward. No bad thing if you ask me.

Expect a lot of people roaming the streets in funny costumes over the next few years.

Okay, a lot more people roaming the streets in funny costumes.

Yea be good to see Kilkenny build more on it's potential even further, rather than just a day/couple day trip destination from Dublin which is important but we need to get them staying longer.
    We lack a bit in terms of large leisure facilities I think too.

Kilkenny is very strong on the Festival side and we must keep up that momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

oh what a splendid guy that Hogan fella is, oh the tourists lucky them, are so far up to even mention the people who live in this town, we have shops closing right left and centre. we have a derelict mart site, we do not have Tesco, Iceland ot M &S, and any toursitt who arrives without a car, we don't even have a bus service, good old phil.
    If one wants a touristy centre why is the council charging shop keepers high rates, take a look at john St, or do we tell them ah that was the recession.
    We have a splendid road system, a ring road that isn't, the inner relief road is a joke, good old phil.
    W"hy not name something like the Hoganstrasse in his honour, have a collection put up a statue.
    No doubt a few certain people will complain about this post, look before you leap

oh what a splendid guy that Hogan fella is, oh the tourists lucky them, are so far up to even mention the people who live in this town, we have shops closing right left and centre. we have a derelict mart site, we do not have Tesco, Iceland ot M &S, and any toursitt who arrives without a car, we don't even have a bus service, good old phil.
    If one wants a touristy centre why is the council charging shop keepers high rates, take a look at john St, or do we tell them ah that was the recession.
    We have a splendid road system, a ring road that isn't, the inner relief road is a joke, good old phil.
    W"hy not name something like the Hoganstrasse in his honour, have a collection put up a statue.
    No doubt a few certain people will complain about this post, look before you leap

Suggest you read the thread title before posting then...it's about a (super) tourist investment in the city not the lack of a bloody Tesco (which is somehow Phil Hogans fault in some obscure way) or any of the other issues outlined.
    You want to see empty units, look in any other town ahead of KK, we are doing very well in comparison to most.

Kilkenny has a pretty decent road network now bar the western extension of the ring road which in all fairness will take huge investment and planning. Something FF weren't too bothered about all their years in power.

Be nice if you could keep on topic rather than going off in irrelevant tangents to satisfy some kind of anti Phil Hogan vandetta.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

OK, so we don't invest in tourism and let it decay. Can you tell me where the people who work in tourism going to get jobs? How about the tourists money spent on non-toursity things? By looking after the tourists, they are looking after us. Who's going to shop in Tesco, M&S and the mart site when there's fewer jobs floating around? If you want to see empty shops on High St. then you should forget about tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think there's an opportunity for a dedicated annual medieval festival. I really enjoyed the one that happened out in Kells priory a years back. History can be a money spinner too with lectures and exhibits. I know there's a celtic festival but it's only over a weekend and tends to be only music and dancing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oh what a splendid guy that Hogan fella is, oh the tourists lucky them, are so far up to even mention the people who live in this town, we have shops closing right left and centre.

Ok so you'd rather Kilkenny gets no funding?

Tourism is extremely important to the city and county, without it you'd see alot more places closed.....very similar to how Waterford is now.

The funding is part of a bigger picture for the south east and always has been, this isn't a recent thing to do with Phil,
    we have a derelict mart site,

Which isn't needed!
    The economy tanked and as such even if the mart site was developed people wouldn't have the money to spend in it,
    we do not have Tesco, Iceland ot M &S, and any toursitt who arrives without a car, we don't even have a bus service, good old phil.

Kilkenny City is walkable and thats what the tourists like about the city,
    As for Tesco etc, well no TD can force a business to set up shop in Kilkenny,

Also i find it amusing as well that you want big multinational companys in Kilkenny, if you bring them in then smaller local businesses will be affected and WILL close. Surely this means you don't care about the local guys?

Complain....nope,
    Think you spout utter nonsense and try to drag the thread off topic, yes!

Since this is about tourism investment and i started it I'd kindly request that you keep it on topic, I believe that's a reasonable request and i would hope you'd have the decency to keep on topic.

This is positive news for kilkenny and only a fool trys to turn it into something negative,

• Advertisement

if only the world was a perfect place. 5.5 million, announced and everyone is falling over themselves "Good old Phil"
    What will we get for the hand out? Even better what will the tourists get?
    Catbears suggestion, as always makes perfect sense, we have a castle use the place.
    And no I am not going off the thread, is the money for the town or the county? From the looks of it only the town, so as normal let the rest die slowly, what about Kells, Thomastown, well Jerpoint, Freshford, Castlecomber and Callan.
    So where is the 5.5mill going? No point wasting it on places tourists can't get too.
    The council could cut high st rates to keep shops in business, and how do we hide the places that no longer function like the mall and to a degree market cross.
    Some are so clever, as I said look before you leap

€5.5 million to the city are you forgetting the other €9.5 million?

Since clearly you are going to ignore my reasonable request to actually stay on topic for tourism investment and instead rant I'm just going to drive a bus through the massive holes in your suggestions.
    The council could cut high st rates to keep shops in business

Sounds great for the business!
    Now exactly how does the council make up the shortfall it now has in its budget due to it not taking in the same amount of money from rates?

Do you think it should cut services, or perhaps not do as many road works...you know on those roads you complained about earlier.

Also why should high st business just get cut rates?, what about other business in the city even in John Street or even in the rest of the county

I can see you've thought your idea through,
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I welcome this announcement. As one who grew up in KK and moved away for a time I can tell you I see KK in a different light. I just took KK for granted growing up. Now I can appreciate why tour buses line the Parade. KK is a beautiful city and the idea of the historical mile from The Castle to St Canice's Cathedral is a logical and progressive move. Indeed KK is in some guidebooks seen as a mini Edinburgh in the sense that its historical core is bookended by two landmarks of national importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Now exactly how does the council make up the shortfall it now has in its budget due to it not taking in the same amount of money from rates?

Do you think it should cut services, or perhaps not do as many road works...you know on those roads you complained about earlier.

Also why should high st business just get cut rates?, what about other business in the city even in John Street or even in the rest of the county
    :rolleyes:

The rates are too high. This is a FF legacy so it can;t be blamed on the current crowd though they should tackle it. The refusal of FF to introduce a property tax or household charge meant that all rates were lumped onto businesses. Also it wasn't linked to turnover or profit, but square footage or property value / use.

This meant that a business in a large building which might be struggling in these times still has to pay the same rates it did in the tiger, which doesn't make any sense when you think about it, as it may be doing a fraction of the business.

Also you get virtually nothing from the council for your rates, which pisses a lot of business people off as well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

The historical mile could have the potential to bring a lot more footfall to the areas between the 2 ends which will benefit businesses in between.
    Something that could rejuvenate the city centre and promote businesses. I'm a little concerned about the brewery site and its plans. Any commercial venture there could have consequences on other present areas of the town.

With regard the rates been to high, are they really to high or are businesses just complaining? Maybe a topic for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

OK, so we don't invest in tourism and let it decay. Can you tell me where the people who work in tourism going to get jobs? How about the tourists money spent on non-toursity things? By looking after the tourists, they are looking after us. Who's going to shop in Tesco, M&S and the mart site when there's fewer jobs floating around? If you want to see empty shops on High St. then you should forget about tourism.

I don't think tourists actually spend much on non-touristy things, generally not much outside of food, accommodation, entertainment, travel.. oh and 'gifts'.

I believe that the problem for the city centre is that if it is developed solely as a tourist attraction and not as a vibrant and desirable place to shop/relax/eat/be entertained, then it will die a slow and horrible death.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

pueblo wrote: »

vibrant and desirable place to shop/relax/eat/be entertained,

But it is all of those things. A great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

pueblo wrote: »
    I believe that the problem for the city centre is that if it is developed solely as a tourist attraction and not as a vibrant and desirable place to shop/relax/eat/be entertained, then it will die a slow and horrible death.

I agree with you that we shouldn't be solely focused on tourism but I don't think the above statement is necessarily the case. If it were, the city centre would be dying a slow and horrible death between October and April every year before the tourists even arrive. And it's not.

We had four festivals on in the city and county last weekend, there's another on this weekend (Kilkenomics) and in a few weeks we'll have our first ever film festival. There are being strong efforts being currently made to get people to stay, eat, shop and drink in the town outside of tourist season and they should be supported and encouraged.

• Advertisement

So we have 5.5mill to spend, what are we going to spend it on? Who will be the main bneneficiary of the bribe, sorry grant.?
    Is it intended to make the historic mile wheelchair friendly? It certainly isnt at the junction of James st.
    Are the pavements going to be widened and improved, the slips are a no no to wheelchairs.
    Perhaps they are going to cobble the high st, ever pushed a buggy on cobbles?
    There seems to be no suggestions, Dean St, yes some businesses down there alright, what?
    Guide books describe Kilkenny as sim ilar to Edinburgh says one poster, they lie as well.
    So what does happen when the tourists go home for the winter? As someone said think it out.
    Well at least the bribe, sorry grant has given discussion to the City, so what about St Mary's and the Black Abbey, do they charge for admittance?
    Interesting debate where is it going, but drop the politic's it makes any discussion smell.

Advertisement