Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Chungs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

theres a couple in the epicurean on abbey street.

https://www.facebook.com/EpicureanFoodHall

If the indian is still there, thats decent. a tenner or there abouts. chef is very good if you ask him to make you anything on spec he will.

I think the chinese is gone a while but it may have gone to that thousand smiles place or whatever its called cos I seen one of the fellas in there.

the kebab shop isnt ayce but my lord you will eat all you can if you get the big plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Chinese restaurants are generally awful with take-aways being the worst.
    Having said that, some meals - the simplest ones - in Jimmy Chungs were good.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

The best example of a good Chinese is one that has "Real Chinese" customers in there.
    Would avoid AYCE as you can never be 100% sure of what you are eating and leaving food out for long periods of time isn't a good idea.
    Not an AYCE but the Imperial off Graton Street is brilliant, great food (not cheap though) and always full of Chinese customers.
    They used to have a sister restaurant in Leopardstown which did AYCE. Can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was good value, closed due to the limited number of people going in, mainly due to the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

In conclusion, The Chinese, a great bunch of lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The best example of a good Chinese is one that has "Real Chinese" customers in there.
    That's why JC is the best.
    Would avoid AYCE as you can never be 100% sure of what you are eating and leaving food out for long periods of time isn't a good idea.
    Yeah right ... like almost any place, like Anne's on Henry Street ... and dozens of other buffet style places. This is nonsense, with respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Not an AYCE but the Imperial off Graton Street is brilliant, great food (not cheap though) and always full of Chinese customers.
    They used to have a sister restaurant in Leopardstown which did AYCE. Can't remember exactly how much it was, but it was good value, closed due to the limited number of people going in, mainly due to the location.

This is a falacy, chinese people have no more taste in food than irish people and you willl more than likely get the english menu, so youi'll not even eat what they are getting, there are a lot of chinese people who will go where it's cheap.

Ask a 'real' chinese person and they will confirm the above.

The mongolian BBQ is the worst food I have ever had, period. Bad quality meat with bad quality sauces all cooked together on the same grill.

Jimmy Chungs is just dandy if you want to stuff your gob with a lot of different dishes. All you can eat will never be gourmet though.

Jimmy Chungs is just dandy if you want to stuff your gob with a lot of different dishes. All you can eat will never be gourmet though.

I was in there yesterday afternoon about 4pm and it was as good as I ever recall. But you are majorly mistaken if you think that most people go there to 'stuff' their gobs. Most go there for value, not volume.

But your point about Gourmet is also rather a meaningless one. NO ordinary restaurant will ever be Gourmet. Gourmet is Gourmet. And why would Gourmet be even necessary ? Most restaurants are good. Good is fine.

I am surprised that no one has introduced an all-you-can-eat place with western food such as roasts, potatoes, peas, carrots, chicken, turkey etc .. I have been to several of these in the States and they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

rocky wrote: »

literally?

Literally.

Piliger wrote: »
    I was in there yesterday afternoon about 4pm and it was as good as I ever recall. But you are majorly mistaken if you think that most people go there to 'stuff' their gobs. Most go there for value, not volume.

But your point about Gourmet is also rather a meaningless one. NO ordinary restaurant will ever be Gourmet. Gourmet is Gourmet. And why would Gourmet be even necessary ? Most restaurants are good. Good is fine.

I am surprised that no one has introduced an all-you-can-eat place with western food such as roasts, potatoes, peas, carrots, chicken, turkey etc .. I have been to several of these in the States and they are excellent.

Value? Most people can't eat 9 euros of chinese food, right, so unless they are their to stuff their gobs, what else is there?

Not to mention mention 14 or 16 euros, which is what it is post 5pm, so how is spending this sum on food value?

Gourmet? I am equating this as good food, is the food in their good? No, is it good by other chinese, well it's of a similar standard to yer friendly local chinese, this is not good food. And for the price you can eat a full meal in a much better chinese, 5 mins walk away.

The equivalent to this all you can eat is the carvery, grand it's not all you can eat, but at 11 euro or so it's value compared to jimmy chungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Intermittent fasting is good with it ... get only meat on the plate, then a plate full of icecream + deserts. That's daily calories sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

A big problem I find is that even in authentic chinese restaurants with a big "Real Chinese" following as a non-chinese person you're not likely to be offered the same choice of food.

Proprietors seem to be afraid of offering real chinese food to non-chinese customers.

That's been closed down quite a while I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Value? Most people can't eat 9 euros of chinese food, right, so unless they are their to stuff their gobs, what else is there?
    One takeaway near me would be just over €10 for a standard dish with noodles, or €9 with rice/chips. Many others near me are €6.50-€8, and then noodles are €1 extra or so. So I could easily go over €9. JC is expensive compared to some other AYCE places which are on a par with the local chinese places near me.

What I really value is the selection. I can try stuff I would never ordinarily order, either as I am unsure of it, or it is usually very expensive for a small portion e.g. prawn toast or prawns in general.

There is one in monkstown that have a sit down "order all you want" menu, i.e. it is not buffet style, its a waiter service. I won't tell you how much I ate :o:pac: but probably would have been €25-30 in a takeaway as it was loads of starters which are typically very expensive, though I would have got larger portions in a takeaway. You can ask for half portions of stuff you are unsure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

IMHO this is as true as saying McDonalds is the best place to get Irish food. Do you think the Irish living in Sydney and New York dont eat crap food, especially when they are saving to travel or send money home.
    I have been to china towns around the world and generally the standard is not great unless you pay a premium. Have been to several cities in China and most people eat food that is a much lower standard than in Ireland. In fact most truely authentic chinese restaurants I seen would be shut down by the health inspectors if they were in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Chungs is bland tasteless greasy muck

rubadub wrote: »
    One takeaway near me would be just over €10 for a standard dish with noodles, or €9 with rice/chips. Many others near me are €6.50-€8, and then noodles are €1 extra or so. So I could easily go over €9. JC is expensive compared to some other AYCE places which are on a par with the local chinese places near me.

What I really value is the selection. I can try stuff I would never ordinarily order, either as I am unsure of it, or it is usually very expensive for a small portion e.g. prawn toast or prawns in general.

There is one in monkstown that have a sit down "order all you want" menu, i.e. it is not buffet style, its a waiter service. I won't tell you how much I ate :o:pac: but probably would have been €25-30 in a takeaway as it was loads of starters which are typically very expensive, though I would have got larger portions in a takeaway. You can ask for half portions of stuff you are unsure about.

I know exactly how expensive chinese takeaway is, so as i said 9 will get you a full meal in any standard takeaway.

Above that, it's stuffing your gob.

The list of items in Chungs is limited and of poor quality.

It's 15-16 euro at dinner times.

Not value

If you have 30 euro of starters, that is also stuffing your gob, you basically said that yourself.

Unless someone can point out it's not, I'm going to leave it at that.

good night, god bless

Most people eat more than €9 value.
    Gourmet? I am equating this as good food,
    A wrong usage.
    is the food in their good? No, is it good by other chinese, well it's of a similar standard to yer friendly local chinese, this is not good food. And for the price you can eat a full meal in a much better chinese, 5 mins walk away.
    What restaurant 5 mins walk away can this be achieved ? The contrary is true. It is very good food. Very healthy food. More healthy than most people eat regularly, and more healthy than a visit to McDonalds or KFC.
    The equivalent to this all you can eat is the carvery, grand it's not all you can eat, but at 11 euro or so it's value compared to jimmy chungs.
    Actually no it isn't. The food is ok, but it's only one fixed course, rather than three courses chosen by the customer.

it's stuffing your gob.

Summing up your analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I was a major fan of Chungs, as was the missus, and we'd go there on occasion to get decent food, at a good price, and stuff our bellies whilst wearing expandable pants. However, we were sad to find this week that the place has gone down in quality in a major way.

The service is still top-notch, and it really is, but the food quality has dropped. The selection is vast, but not as nice in terms of flavour or quality, and there are no 'regular' things, like Sweet and Sour chicken, chicken satay, and so on.

We used to love it, and before I went this week I was defending this thread, but now we have both turned against the once good value restaurant. Goodbye Chungs; it's been great.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Piliger wrote: »
    Most people eat more than €9 value.

A wrong usage.

What restaurant 5 mins walk away can this be achieved ? The contrary is true. It is very good food. Very healthy food. More healthy than most people eat regularly, and more healthy than a visit to McDonalds or KFC.

Actually no it isn't. The food is ok, but it's only one fixed course, rather than three courses chosen by the customer.

It is not very healthy! not even kinda healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

It is not very healthy! not even kinda healthy.

We can't all be stuffing ourselves with butter and coconut oil by the spoonful :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

rocky wrote: »
    We can't all be stuffing ourselves with butter and coconut oil by the spoonful :p

I do love a spoon of coconut oil in the morning.....

Advertisement