Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Chungs

Options
  • 29-10-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭

I was taken to Jimmy Chungs on Eden Quay Dublin 1 over the weekend.

Chinese eat all you can buffet. Food is good and fresh. Large selection.. Bright and airy. Staff pleasant and efficient.

Price varies between E9 and E16 depending on when you visit
    Well worth a visit, if you are not on a diet.

http://www.jimmychungs.com/locate/loc_dublin.htm

Hasn't been mentioned on this forum for over two years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

lol, i did the wrong thing when i went there, i got there at about 21:35 and it closes at 10, paid the 16 euro and only eat for 25 mins.
    my fault, but i did eat a lot very fast, but felt sorry for my girlfriend, she's not a wolf like me. :)

but anyhow, food's good. will go earlier during the day on a sat or sun the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I went there 2 weeks ago.
    It used to be nice but the food is gone to sh1t now in there.
    Waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Murt10 wrote: »
    ...Food is good and fresh...
    ...Well worth a visit, if you are not on a diet...
    MMAGirl wrote: »
    ...the food is gone to sh1t now in there...
    ...Waste of money...

So which of the two is it now?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This place does all you can eat for €7. I was there three weeks ago and it was decent enough.
    http://www.mealtime.ie/restaurants/10-thousand-5730/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Monkeynut wrote: »
    lol, i did the wrong thing when i went there, i got there at about 21:35 and it closes at 10, paid the 16 euro and only eat for 25 mins.
    my fault, but i did eat a lot very fast, but felt sorry for my girlfriend, she's not a wolf like me. :)

but anyhow, food's good. will go earlier during the day on a sat or sun the next time.

Rookie mistake. Next time be sure to wear your eating pants and arrive early.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=eating%20pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Monkeynut wrote: »

to be fair they could have warned you they closed at 10!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

went to Jimmy Chungs for lunch with the Mammy a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. I think it was a tenner per person and the food was lovely, especially the desserts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Not sure what it is called but there is an all you can eat chinese on top floor in St Stephens Green centre.
    Last time I was there it was 9 euro, I think.
    Thought the food was nice, all the usual Chinese restaurant fare.
    Maybe not a Bargain alert, but relevant to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ArtyM wrote: »
    Not sure what it is called but there is an all you can eat chinese on top floor in St Stephens Green centre.
    Last time I was there it was 9 euro, I think.
    Thought the food was nice, all the usual Chinese restaurant fare.
    Maybe not a Bargain alert, but relevant to this thread.

I ate there a few times but it is really grimy with very dodgy tables with plastic covers that look like they were bought second hand from Butlins. It's always mostly empty (hint) and the food was tasteless. I had a chicken dish and a beef dish and they tasted exactly the same ..

Jimmy Chungs: I have commented in the Dublin City Forum many times to say that this is by FAR the best all-you-can-eat in the City.

The food is as good as almost any full Chinese restaurant, which I visit a lot, and the place is like a real restaurant. Nice tables and really nice and helpful staff. It has the biggest selection AND great desserts AND an ice cream machine :D

The only odd thing is that they apply the evening price if you LEAVE AFTER 5pm.....irrespective when you arrive ... but the day rate of 9.60 is bloody amazing value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Have gone a few times and recently the food has been poor, to the extent that a couple of my mates got sick the last time we went. We all felt rotten after going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Jimmy chungs is by far the best Eat all you can Chinese, these guys know how to do it, have visited their Scottish restaurants as well and they are great....You can pull your own Ice cream at the end, what more could you want!

They wouldn't be running multiple restaurants without doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Piliger wrote: »
    an ice cream machine :D

This. I don't eat much too much of the food, but I keep going back for more of the sweet stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

I've always found the quality good, and with JCs being as busy as they are I'd imagine the food turnaround is fairly regular so it's always been fresh.

I have a child who is quite tall for her age so I knew I'd be paying the adult price for her food, and to be fair they do make it very clear on the way in but I felt the little bit she ate wasn't really worth the money.

IMO the food is so salty you would need to be drinking free tap water to make it a bargain. Although I went there with himself one Saturday night with the intention of hitting the town afterwards but we were so full of food we just went back to our hotel to bed so probably saved a good bit of money in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

GarIT wrote: »
    This place does all you can eat for €7. I was there three weeks ago and it was decent enough.
    http://www.mealtime.ie/restaurants/10-thousand-5730/

That place is diabolical.
    Worst food I've paid for in Dublin, it also smelt like a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

The quality of food had seriously gone down the last time I was there. Although that was almost a year ago. That said its still the best food of any of the 'all you can eat' places I've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

+1 for the quality gone downhill. Nowhere near what it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my younger brother had food in jimmy chungs on his stag a couple of weeks ago. the food was dreadful and most of us in the party were sick. my brother himself got sick 4 times after eating it
    never again

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

my younger brother had food in jimmy chungs on his stag a couple of weeks ago. the food was dreadful and most of us in the party were sick. my brother himself got sick 4 times after eating it
    never again

A stag party where a few lads end up Vomiting? Hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

spockety wrote: »
    A stag party where a few lads end up Vomiting? Hmmmm

hmmmmm, before we went to the pub yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

went once to try it out couple years ago and swore never to go again.

as an all you can eat I wasnt expecting anything highbrow but the quality of some of it was nearly vomit inducing looking at it. mate of mine gave me a tip to refill when new dishes come out, it didnt matter. still rotten.

some lads had agreed to start a night out there earlier this year so I had to revisit. food was worse than I remembered.

avoid and get 2 maccer meals in for same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

It's gone downhill big time. They have gone mad with the MSG. I felt really poorly and uncomfortable last time after one plate so that's me finished with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

never again

A stag party where a few lads end up eating? Hmmmm !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

It's filth. For a quality AYCE experience, try The Mongolian BBQ behind the Central Bank. AYCE for €12 before 7pm, €16 thereafter. €5 lunch. Cooked in front of you so you can see exactly what's going into it. There is no value in chinese buffets anyway. They are just packed with msg and make you feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Cannot highly recommend the Hub in Crumlin enough. Its AYCE for €8-12 depending on time, but its order ala carte, you just ask again for more if you are still hungry. Its a very nice place and staff are absolutely excellent and friendly, which I rarely find in Chinese restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

xpletiv wrote: »
    Cannot highly recommend the Hub in Crumlin enough. Its AYCE for €8-12 depending on time, but its order ala carte, you just ask again for more if you are still hungry. Its a very nice place and staff are absolutely excellent and friendly, which I rarely find in Chinese restaurants.

I thought I knew Crumlin pretty well! Where is this spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Went here before with the girlfriend as a cheap meal, bad mistake, literally had a shart attack the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Went here before with the girlfriend as a cheap meal, bad mistake, literally had a shart attack the next morning!

If you suffer from constipation this sounds like the place to go. No Thanks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

literally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

you or the girlfriend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

wyndham wrote: »
    For a quality AYCE experience, try The Mongolian BBQ behind the Central Bank.

Ok that's a Chinese and a Mongolian.

Any other decent AYCE restaurants? I'm particularly partial to an Indian.

Advertisement