Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing woman - Aoife Phelan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

January wrote: »

That explains why the reporting in the case has been somewhat scant.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

****sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

wasn't it reported the Gaurds said they initially felt there was no foul play suspected.

the area she was last seen in is the same area so many women/girls have disappeared from.
    they really haven't a clue do they?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-highly-unlikely-missing-aoife-was-victim-of-foul-play-3278624.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

wasn't it reported the Gaurds said they initially felt there was no foul play suspected.

the area she was last seen in is the same area so many women/girls have disappeared from.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-highly-unlikely-missing-aoife-was-victim-of-foul-play-3278624.html
    Since they have arrested some guy in his twenties they seem to have more clue than you, unless this guy is responsible for all those other missing women in which case he has been at it since his confirmation.
    Let the Gardai do their job.
    My thoughts are with Aoife's family tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RIP if it's true.

God love her family :(

Since they have arrested some guy in his twenties they seem to have more clue than you, unless this guy is responsible for all those other missing women in which case he has been at it since his confirmation.
    Let the Gardai do their job.
    My thoughts are with Aoife's family tonight.

i would have thought that given the number of women gone missing in that area, they would have been more concerned earlier rather than dismiss her disappearance as they did.
    perhaps they might have prevented her murder?
    the guards are not above criticism you know.

i'm sure everyone's sympathy are for her family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i would have thought that given the number of women gone missing in that area, they would have been more concerned earlier rather than dismiss her disappearance as they did.
    perhaps they might have prevented her murder?
    the guards are not above criticism you know.

i'm sure everyone's sympathy are for her family.

In fairness this has been in the news quite a lot, I'm abroad and everyday there were news articles about it, I'm from that area and was following it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I know it sounds daft, but I think they were trying to minimize the media on it for a reason. There was no more mention of the person that texted her that she left to meet. Perhaps not to scare this person off? I know I'm just guessing, but that just sprung to mind
    It is understood she received a text message while visiting friends in the Colliers View estate. After receiving the message, she indicated she was going to meet someone, but subsequently disappeared.

Although the content of the text message cannot be retrieved unless her phone is found, gardai will be able to identify the sender from her phone records.

there was just nothing more said about it.

Abi wrote: »
    I know it sounds daft, but I think they were trying to minimize the media on it for a reason. There was no more mention of the person that texted her that she left to meet. Perhaps not to scare this person off? I know I'm just guessing, but that just sprung to mind

there was just nothing more said about it.

Massive search underway this evening for her apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

If the man they have arrested is responsible,lets just hope he has some shred of humanity and tells where she can be found.

Hopefully her family will be able to get some closure soon, one way or another.

Thoughts and prayers with her family and everyone involved in searching for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Is it just me or has there been a noticeable spike in these murder/kidnap cases of Irish women recently, Jill Meagher, Catherine Gowing, Aoife Phelan, Nicola Furlong, Michaela Harte and probably more both at home and abroad. I don't know what to say except be careful out there, the world is a dangerous place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Is it just me or has there been a noticeable spike in these murder/kidnap cases of Irish women recently, Jill Meagher, Catherine Gowing, Aoife Phelan, Nicola Furlong, Michaela Harte and probably more both at home and abroad. I don't know what to say except be careful out there, the world is a dangerous place.

edit: Not appropriate for this thread. Hoping Aoife gets home safely and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gardai believe she has been murdered and a man is being questioned :(

http://m.rte.ie/news/2012/1106/gardai-continue-to-question-man-over-missing-woman.html

Gardai believe she has been murdered and a man is being questioned :(

http://m.rte.ie/news/2012/1106/gardai-continue-to-question-man-over-missing-woman.html

THEY'RE QUICK OFF THE MARK!
    i'll give 'em that.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

THEY'RE QUICK OFF THE MARK!
    i'll give 'em that.
    :rolleyes:

Give it a rest.

What do you want them to do? Make a hasty arrest and screw up the investigation?

Say what you want about the gardai, but their track record in solving murder cases is excellent.

kraggy wrote: »
    Give it a rest.

What do you want them to do? Make a hasty arrest and screw up the investigation?

Say what you want about the gardai, but their success in solving murder cases is excellent.

yes although tragic, it's good they eventually shifted their focus and made an arrest. btw i would like to point out that the case has NOT yet been solved. you have been watching too many cheap american crime dramas perhaps.

my sympathy also goes to all those other girls/women missing in this area, presumed dead. the focus on their disappearance should also have been shifted sooner from missing persons, and perhaps just perhaps they might have gotten better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

yes although tragic, it's good they eventually shifted their focus and made an arrest. btw i would like to point out that the case has NOT yet been solved. you have been watching too many cheap american crime dramas perhaps.

my sympathy also goes to all those other girls/women missing in this area, presumed dead. the focus on their disappearance should also have been shifted sooner from missing persons, and perhaps just perhaps they might have gotten better results.

Where did I say it was solved? I didn't.

I was merely defending the gardai's handling of the case thus far saying that it's best to do things right than to mess things up.

Enough of the bickering. If the expected is indeed confirmed in the next hours/days, may she rest in peace and sympathies to the family. It is unimaginable what they must be going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Cannot begin to imagine the hell her family are going through.

The guards have to follow certain procedures when investigating someone's disappearance and if they got it wrong they would be hounded that is why they are meticulous. Slagging them off does nothing to help as they do a good job.

kraggy wrote: »
    Where did I say it was solved? I didn't.

I was merely defending the gardai's handling of the case thus far saying that it's best to do things right than to mess things up.

Enough of the bickering. If the expected is indeed confirmed in the next hours/days, may she rest in peace and sympathies to the family. It is unimaginable what they must be going through.

i agree our thoughts must be for her poor family.
    this is your worst nightmare.

my point is i believe the guards were very quick to dismiss this as simply another girl has gone missing and no need to worry. any girl that goes missing in that area, you have to assume the worst. (btw i believe a serial killer has been operating in that area for some time, but they dismiss that also. again i disagree with them.)
    their track record in apprehending those responsible for what must be almost a dozen missing women in this state is very poor.

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Cannot begin to imagine the hell her family are going through.

The guards have to follow certain procedures when investigating someone's disappearance and if they got it wrong they would be hounded that is why they are meticulous. Slagging them off does nothing to help as they do a good job.

i disagree.
    we have almost a dozen women gone missing in this state.
    how many of those have they traced?
    sadly their track record is very poor.

i welcome their "success" in finding this poor girl, however tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

i agree our thoughts must be for her poor family.
    this is your worst nightmare.

my point is i believe the guards were very quick to dismiss this as simply another girl has gone missing and no need to worry. any girl that goes missing in that area, you have to assume the worst. (btw i believe a serial killer has been operating in that area for some time, but they dismiss that also. again i disagree with them.)
    their track record in apprehending those responsible for what must be almost a dozen missing women in this state is very poor.

This is based on your extensive insider knowledge of the case then is it? You've witnessed a serial killer in the area yourself? Or are you another armchair detective up in arms because what you're watching on the telly isn't satisfying your morbid curiosity. The gards may have had very good reason to release what they have done to the press, when they did, without thinking they might have needed your approval first. Give it a rest, leave the police work to the actual police. This should be about Aoife and her family. For my part I hope she is found asap. My thoughts are with all her loved ones.

Eriopis wrote: »
    This is based on your extensive insider knowledge of the case then is it? You've witnessed a serial killer in the area yourself? Or are you another armchair detective up in arms because what you're watching on the telly isn't satisfying your morbid curiosity. The gards may have had very good reason to release what they have done to the press, when they did, without thinking they might have needed your approval first. Give it a rest, leave the police work to the actual police. This should be about Aoife and her family. For my part I hope she is found asap. My thoughts are with all her loved ones.

where did i say i witnessed a serial killer?
    where did i say i had insider knowledge?
    where did i say they needed my approval?

i stated what was MY OPINION. that's all.
    in a democracy we are allowed to express opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

where did i say i witnessed a serial killer?
    where did i say i had insider knowledge?
    where did i say they needed my approval?

i stated what was MY OPINION. that's all.
    in a democracy we are allowed to express opinions.

Yes you did, in a misplaced and inappropriate manner. That would be my opinion.

Eriopis wrote: »
    Yes you did, in a misplaced and inappropriate manner. That would be my opinion.

nonsense.
    you have made accusations you cannot stand over and have been exposed.
    next time you decide to open your mouth, it's always a good idea to have some knowledge of what you are talking about.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

nonsense.
    you have made accusations you cannot stand over and have been exposed.
    next time you decide to open your mouth, it's always a good idea to have some knowledge of what you are talking about.;)

Mod

Please don't post here anymore. Pm for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

have they found her phone,
    did she go to school with this man,
    i was reading on websluets that her ex boyfriend had gone to america a few days before she went missing, it must be hard on him to come home to this, her family must be going through hell.
    i wonder what make them think she is gone, i am hoping that she is found, we are speaking of two here, she and her baby, hope someone was not that bad to murder a little innocent baby also,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

goat2 wrote: »
    have they found her phone,
    did she go to school with this man,
    i was reading on websluets that her ex boyfriend had gone to america a few days before she went missing, it must be hard on him to come home to this, her family must be going through hell.
    i wonder what make them think she is gone, i am hoping that she is found, we are speaking of two here, she and her baby, hope someone was not that bad to murder a little innocent baby also,

it says in a report today the guy arrested is only back from america is it the same boyfriend who was reported to have went just as she went missing and was not meant to be a suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

mightyreds wrote: »
    it says in a report today the guy arrested is only back from america is it the same boyfriend who was reported to have went just as she went missing and was not meant to be a suspect

Sounds like a cunning plan. "Come on home, you're not a suspect".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Man that was arrested in connection to Aoifes disappearance released without charge.

Someone somewhere has to know what happened, would they not please come forward and let her family have some closure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement