Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How / where'd you meet your OH/Partner

Options
  • 28-10-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I know its been done in the past but maybe a new one is in order??

I'm single quite a while now and just wondered how or where people meet their bf/gf/OH/Partner etc etc

Was in town last night and it just struck me that its quite difficult to chat to people in pubs / clubs let alone get their number and a date

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I think night clubs are an awful place to meet new people. For the exact reason you've said, it's just so hard to chat to someone in them. Pubs aren't as bad up to a point but they're very often trying to compete with clubs so the music gets turned up to 11 after a while.

Personally I've met most gfs through friends or being set up with them. It's interesting really how we rely on a social setting and alcohol to meet people. It's unheard of for Irish people to see someone they like and just ask them out, maybe it's just what we're used to.

I think for you my good man, the answer is to just try and meet new people wherever you can, don't limit yourself to a night out. If you like one, take a chance!

Also, I know you've said you've been single for a while and you're probably getting a bit fed up if you're looking for a gf but don't let it get to you and don't go out looking for someone. Go out and just enjoy yourself, you'd be surprised the situations you'll find yourself in just having a laugh with your friends :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Schism wrote: »
    I think night clubs are an awful place to meet new people. For the exact reason you've said, it's just so hard to chat to someone in them. Pubs aren't as bad up to a point but they're very often trying to compete with clubs so the music gets turned up to 11 after a while.

Personally I've met most gfs through friends or being set up with them. It's interesting really how we rely on a social setting and alcohol to meet people. It's unheard of for Irish people to see someone they like and just ask them out, maybe it's just what we're used to.

I think for you my good man, the answer is to just try and meet new people wherever you can, don't limit yourself to a night out. If you like one, take a chance!

Also, I know you've said you've been single for a while and you're probably getting a bit fed up if you're looking for a gf but don't let it get to you and don't go out looking for someone. Go out and just enjoy yourself, you'd be surprised the situations you'll find yourself in just having a laugh with your friends :)

Yeah, great post! agree with you, sure who knows when and how you'll bump into someone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

First seen my oh when I was in 4th year in school and she was in 2nd
    She was new in the school
    I always said to me mates she's gonna be more gorgeous when she gets older
    When I left school I was out one night in tallaght and she was in nightclub I was in and me with drink on had courage t dance with her and then locked lips and been together since and have gorgeous little girl together aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I met my OH at a Gingerbread meet up 22 years ago. Still together...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Neither of us remember actually meeting. We know it was in Isoldes Tower in Temple Bar, and we know we woke up together in her place the next morning but the rest is a mystery. Six years later, it must have been a good night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

absolutely hammered at a house party

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pegs, pound a drink on 3 nights after new years. Only my group and her group there.
    Ended up that I used to play with her brother when we were 7 and 8. But they moved away. Also figured out she was in my cousins class.

That valentines she sent me a card with her number. She got my address from my cousin.

That was about 16 years ago, when we were in transition year. Married now with 2 little girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

In a sauna. They key is stop looking - it always happens when you least expect it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I first met my girlfriend 8 years ago while I was in town, she was lost and I offered her directions and went from there :).
    She is German and was on a holiday to Ireland. I met her at Christ Church close to the archway over the road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In a sauna. They key is stop looking - it always happens when you least expect it

Couldnt agree more.

Met my now wife at work..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My best friend threw a house party and he was too busy to pay much attention to his girlfriend. I did the gentlemanly thing and saw to it that she thoroughly enjoyed the evening ;) That was 33 years ago and still together. I wonder what my former friend is doing with himself these days?????

True story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

She was "the other woman"!! I was in an unhappy relationship and the job I was in at the time hired a new receptionist. She was hot! I couldn't stop drooling over her. After a couple of days flirting, we did it on the board-room table one evening after everyone had gone home. After a few weeks they let her go but we stayed in touch by text and I had to sneak out from time to time to meet up.

Anyway, my ex and I broke up and I hooked up with this one and we've been together since. (5 years) We're engaged now and are pregnant with our second child. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Worked together in 2004, she asked me to go traveling with her in 2005 but got job offer that I'd wanted for ages and lost contact for years. Met again in a club in 2008 and got married last March.

I met the girls through live music. I started organising pre-gig meetups for the bands and singers I liked and posting meetup times and places on the forums of those bands before a show I was going to. I would wear or display something prominent in said bar so we were easily found. It was through this I met the girls and slowly descended into a full time relationship with them over a period of time.

A few of my mates met their partners that way too through the meet ups that I arranged. It seems to be a good way to meet people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, there was a few things that led me to the current girlfriend;

Boards
    Beers
    Online Dating Site
    Facebook stalking

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

oldyouth wrote: »
    My best friend threw a house party and he was too busy to pay much attention to his girlfriend. I did the gentlemanly thing and saw to it that she thoroughly enjoyed the evening ;) That was 33 years ago and still together. I wonder what my former friend is doing with himself these days?????

True story

Probably still thinks you're a creep for coming onto his girlfriend after getting an invite to his party

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

At a gentlemans club beers in Cassidys back in February!!

F*ck yeah!! :cool:

Now you all see why I love boards beers.....and Cassidys?!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Ireland England chatrooms on MYSPACE 5 and a half yrs ago..But we tell some people we met in an airport.. semi true...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Smoking Section of a pub. Getting married in February.

Thanks Michael Martin!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Jaysis, just in from a night out, you'd be fair depressed with that shoite !! its literally impossible to meet anyone properly when you're out boozing......

God its slightly depressing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Boards
    Beers
    Online Dating Site
    Facebook stalking

So romantic, make sure to mention it in the wedding speech :p

What led me to my boyfriend was Boards and Fromspring stalking :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Sleepy wrote: »
    Smoking Section of a pub. Getting married in February.

Thanks Michael Martin!

Me too, high five! The smoking area part, we're not engaged yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Boards
    Beers
    Online Dating Site
    Facebook stalking

It wasn't him who was doing the stalking ... :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Met my wife at a house party where I only knew a few people - well out of my comfort zone. I had decided to challenge myself - If you keep doing what you have always done you keep getting what you have always got.

My record for meeting girlfriends before then made me come to the conclusion I would never meet anyone I would end up with in a pub or nightclub. If I was looking I would recommend activities (sports/social groups/online dating). I had never tried online dating but a good friend of mine met his lovely wife in a speed dating event (they met each other in the club afterwards, not in the speed dating part).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

In work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

We met at an orgy*.

* Not really, but when people ask that generally shuts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

It wasn't him who was doing the stalking ... :o :pac:

It wasn't in my instance either :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What led me to my boyfriend was Boards and Fromspring stalking :pac:

*chough*

Wedding speech?

what wedding speech?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

We met at an orgy*.

[SIZE="1"]* Not really, but when people ask that generally shuts them up.[/SIZE]
    "Our eyes met across a crowded nympho..."
    :pac:

Advertisement