Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 offer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

For those worried about playing DVDs etc, you need the Windows Media Centre Pack, its for if you have Windows 8 at the moment.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Oh the Codec wasn't compatible either and I needed it for downloads needing subtitles. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Free media centre direct link is here, but it takes around 24-36 hours for the mail to arrive:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

I bought the upgrade for €15 yesterday and the media centre key arrived a few hours ago.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Will this work on Win XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

antodeco wrote: »
    Will this work on Win XP?
    as long as it's Service Pack 3, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

How big is the download file?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

manu2009 wrote: »
    Estimated size for the download is 2 gigabytes.

This info is all on the FAQ page......

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

manu2009 wrote: »

2GB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

installed it and had to change the machine back to windows 7 from a full backup.

I found there were Java errors, SPSS, NVivo and the office applications did not work. It passed the compatability test to.

Just make sure that you have backed up all your files so you can restore your previous OS if it does not work.

Greatest load of Sh1t ever. I upgraded to vista on an old machine before.

I need the laptop so much that I need all the applications to work.

Is there anyway to get a refund.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/DisplayHelpReturnsRefundsPage/

Details Here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭long_b

dingding wrote: »
    installed it and had to change the machine back to windows 7 from a full backup.

I found there were Java errors, SPSS, NVivo and the office applications did not work. It passed the compatability test to.

Just make sure that you have backed up all your files so you can restore your previous OS if it does not work.

It wouldn't let you downgrade back to 7 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/DisplayHelpReturnsRefundsPage/

Details Here

Oh no, I just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

@dingding Can't believe with all your knowledge of everything you took such a risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Looks like the golden rule of Windows upgrades still applies .... never ever do an in-place upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Got this on my laptop that i bought in 2011 worked fine took about an hour to download and maybe another hour to upgrade.I think i lucked out as im finding the new UI of windows very easy to use and pritty enjoyable quite nice to fullscreen explorer while haveing a little area at the side of the screen for msn which is what i use my lappy for 80% of the time.

Going to use it a week before decideing on upgradeing my desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Im missing something i cant get past product key screen despite putting it in.

If you have a Dell Touchpad on Laptop there is NO driver for this so you lose the scroll up/down option for the time being.

Response on web seems to be "bear with us". :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Windows upgrades are generally reliable.

For the real geeks out there check out this vid upgrading from the 1st version of windows. Really worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

When the download image is burned to a DVD or flash disk, can it be booted from and install the OS on a blank hard drive and have the product key work for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 missmoleman

breathn wrote: »
    When the download image is burned to a DVD or flash disk, can it be booted from and install the OS on a blank hard drive and have the product key work for it?

Yes, I did this today, booting from USB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yes, I did this today, booting from USB

So it will actually work as a fresh install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'm thinking about upgrading an old Dell desktop I have which is currently running XP.

It's used by the kids for playing Minecraft, can anyone please confirm if Minecraft is running fine in Win8?

It's got an older graphics card fitted, I presume the compatability test will tell me if Win8 has drivers for it? I'm not near it now to run the test.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya it runs minecraft fine

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I'm having problems installing it, I keep getting the error message: "We can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 8. Try restarting Setup".
    Anyone know what this means and how do I "restart setup"?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If you have a Dell Touchpad on Laptop there is NO driver for this so you lose the scroll up/down option for the time being.

Response on web seems to be "bear with us". :(

I had the same issue, but... After installing w8 I went back to Dell drivers page and reinstalled the touchpad driver, rebooted, and made sure scrolling was enabled in control panel and the touchpad is now back to being fully functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Ran the upgrade assistant on my PC a few mins ago, one item on the incompatible list was 'iTunes' - it lists under this a warning to de-authorise your PC from iTunes BEFORE upgrading.

I guess this is because the PC will have a new operating system and product code etc afterwards which iTunes will no longer recognise as your previously authorised PC.

Might save a few of you some grief afterwards!

bricky06 wrote: »
    I had the same issue, but... After installing w8 I went back to Dell drivers page and reinstalled the touchpad driver, rebooted, and made sure scrolling was enabled in control panel and the touchpad is now back to being fully functional.

I went ahead and eventually found a driver from the US Support site from 2007 or so. It's a little cruder than the previous and a little more jittery but it will do for now until somebody releases something. I may get a new laptop after Christmas anyway so might only have to hold out till then.

I'm getting a little used to Windows 8. There is a heck of a lot of personalisation required when you start working with it first but it seems to be based loosely on a tablet system where you have "apps" instead of, as what we would normally call them, shortcuts. I now have Sky News, Daily Mail, RTE News "APPS" on my Windows screen. You still have the desktop which is weird because you keep thinking you're on Win 7 but when you press the windows key on the keyboard you soon get reminded your in Win 8.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's definitely the biggest learning curve I've ever gone through for a new OS. It's very different indeed, I have it running in a VM at the moment, but I'm starting to be tempted to load it onto my laptop. It's quite nice, but I found myself having to look up tutorials on the best way to use it with a keyboard and mouse, as a lot of the UI makes more sense on a touch device rather than a mouse/keyboard combo.

It's quite nice, but I found myself having to look up tutorials on the best way to use it with a keyboard and mouse, as a lot of the UI makes more sense on a touch device rather than a mouse/keyboard combo.

It took me a few minutes to find the restart/power option because it seems to think its on a Tablet so you wouldn't need a traditional sleep/hibernate button. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point of the thread, I hear the moderators saying, is that the €14.99 is good value for a new OS

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Beer Baron wrote: »
    It took me a few minutes to find the restart/power option because it seems to think its on a Tablet so you wouldn't need a traditional sleep/hibernate button. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the point of the thread, I hear the moderators saying, is that the €14.99 is good value for a new OS

'tis a good deal alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Aye, its a good deal as Operating systems go definitely, lot better than the old days of paying between a hundred and two hundred quid for the latest Operating system.

Which reminds me to thank the OP for the heads up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement