Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 offer

Options
  • 27-10-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

So... many of you will have heard of the offer microsoft is running for windows 8;

If you have bought a windows 7 pc within the last 2 months, you can upgrade to windows 8 for €15 (normal price €30).

Well, it turns out that no proof of purchase is necessary to claim the discount code for this offer.Link for code

You do, however, need to be able to think of a date from some time in the last two months :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Brilliant stuff, it works!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for this. Is it a full proper DVD which lets you do a fresh install? You don't have to upgrade directly from Windows 7 do you? I have XP.

I'm going throw it now and it wants me to put in credit card details but I have not put in any promo code so I think it's charging me €30 at the moment.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to run the upgrade tool on a 7 pc to get this to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Charging me 30 euro too.

Also I would like to know if I reinstall windows will I have to install windows 7 again and then apply this update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭long_b

FAQ says

You should expect to provide information such as:

Name
    Contact details
    Email address
    Phone number
    PC purchase details
    PC make / model
    Purchase date
    Retailer / PC manufacturer
    Additional information may be requested to enable your registration to be validated, including the Windows 7 product key for your qualified PC.

It was charging me €30 also, until final checkout page, then I put in the promo code, and then it only charged me €15. Paypal option too.

I picked the download option (instead of DVD). I will have it later tonight! 2% complete now.

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    FAQ says

You should expect to provide information such as:

Name
    Contact details
    Email address
    Phone number
    PC purchase details
    PC make / model
    Purchase date
    Retailer / PC manufacturer
    Additional information may be requested to enable your registration to be validated, including the Windows 7 product key for your qualified PC.

Just make it up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Do u need to save everything to external drive or what?

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Do u need to save everything to external drive or what?

I doubt it. Once upgrade is complete you will still have all your original files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

This seems to be working......thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

to people struggling...

say your pc was made by some obscure company, you could select 'other' under manufacturer and then their almost random looking model number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Great Stuff , It's works alright, The PC it's going on Started life with Vista Home , I then Installed Windows 7 Ultimate that MS Ireland gave out free:D at the Windows 7 Launch Event in Dublin , Now for €15 Windows 8 is on the way >>

Just hope we don't regret it, as Windows 7 was one of the better ones.

Hope Windows 8 doesn't turn out to be another Vista.

Got the Win7 Retail preorder for £49 or something on Amazon.

Would probably pay the same again for Win8 but not interested in any of this upgrade malarky, I prefer proper full and transferable retail licence for new builds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Would probably pay the same again for Win8 but not interested in any of this upgrade malarky, I prefer proper full and transferable retail licence for new builds etc.

+1

Can't stand this upgrade messing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ah crap so it deffo is an upgrade only? Meh. I would have paid the 15 but not bothered if it's not a full licence. I'll just wait till a good cracked copy surfaces..

Edit: Hand on, are you able to do a clean install or not? Or is it upgrade from Win7 only? Can someone verify please?

quarryman wrote: »
    +1

Can't stand this upgrade messing.

This is my first upgrade. Do you think it will cause issues? I'd imagine a full clean install would be better alright. Surely worth €15 though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Whats the difference between an upgrade and a full licence? Would it make a difference to someone (like me) who really only uses their PC for assignments and browsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Damn, I payed 30 euro for this last night. Still pretty cheap in fairness.

I had consumer preview for a week and I was able to keep all my programs from Win7 with no problems at all, but when I put retail Win8 pro on I had to wipe everything except personal files (music, docs etc). Bit of a dose but it's good to have a clean slate for the new OS I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I got to the payment screen to enter my card details but It hasn't changed the price so as far as I know it's still 29.99 so If I enter my details are they charged immediately or is there another screen after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I got to the payment screen to enter my card details but It hasn't changed the price so as far as I know it's still 29.99 so If I enter my details are they charged immediately or is there another screen after that?

Looks like only the online d/load is €14.99, disc delivered €30 something, no?

• Advertisement

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Looks like only the online d/load is €14.99, disc delivered €30 something, no?

Took the risk actually after re-reading a 3rd e-mail from Microsoft. I entered the code after that and it became €14.99.

Going to take about 2.5 hours to download by the looks of it. Only a 3MBPS connection here. Looks like I'm going to be drunk when it finishes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Downloaded it yesterday, you get the option of saving the files on a usb or as an ISO so you can dual boot if you want...I recommend it, see if you like it first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Just a little word of warning re Windows 8. I did a compatibility test on my existing applications and in my case Expat Shield (for watching BBC iplayer etc) is not compatible and Windows 8 will not play DVD's but can get a separate player for it.

kn wrote: »
    Just a little word of warning re Windows 8. I did a compatibility test on my existing applications and in my case Expat Shield (for watching BBC iplayer etc) is not compatible and Windows 8 will not play DVD's but can get a separate player for it.

Spotted that but like most things I'm sure there will be a workaround for it soon.

Downloaded it yesterday, you get the option of saving the files on a usb or as an ISO so you can dual boot if you want...I recommend it, see if you like it first

You can run it off a USB, no installation required? That's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

kn wrote: »

VLC should help with playing DVD's
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

This may also be useful to anyone swapping to windows 8 also.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

<Ollie> wrote: »
    This is my first upgrade. Do you think it will cause issues? I'd imagine a full clean install would be better alright. Surely worth €15 though?
    THFC wrote: »
    Whats the difference between an upgrade and a full licence? Would it make a difference to someone (like me) who really only uses their PC for assignments and browsing?

For the majority of users the upgrade will do the job perfectly.

I'm different in that I often buy new hard drives and other hardware and need a fresh install. Also, it's a great "spring clean".

But yeah, an upgrade will be fine for most.

I was given the option(s)

Keep all settings and personal files
    or
    Keep personal files
    or
    Clean install(or however they worded it)

I chose option of keeping all files and settings of course. Having upgraded from XP, to Vista to Windows 7 on the same Laptop I never had an issue with file loss so don't expect any now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Sorry for the confusion, no, you cant run it off USB, just given the option to save the installation files to a USB key to create a new install or dual boot later, you'll need a seperate partition on your HDD if you want to dual boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi thanks for the heads up on this downloading now.

It does not come with media centre but I have found this to get it free for limited time..

[URL=http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57540793-285/how-to-add-windows-media-center-to-windows-8-pro-for-free/[/URL]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement