Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any info out there on TOOL.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Joe Rogan podcast with Maynard was interesting enough - shows him live tweeting the news about the new album name and back catalogue being available from Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-w-LFBw8Co

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was an entertaining interview, but there wasn't a whole lot of talk about Tool in it - just the streaming announcemt and the album title. Joe was more interested in talking about staph infections, wine and CBD oil.

I kinda like Joe Rogan to an extent, but the amount of absolute baloney he comes out with is fairly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a day to be alive

Tool on Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Listening to Tool on the cycle to work this morning !!
    ( Not that i didnt before, but its different right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What a day to be alive

Tool on Spotify

Yeah was a bit shocked to see Tool trending on Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My playlists just got a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Arghus wrote: »
    It was an entertaining interview, but there wasn't a whole lot of talk about Tool in it - just the streaming announcemt and the album title. Joe was more interested in talking about staph infections, wine and CBD oil.

I kinda like Joe Rogan to an extent, but the amount of absolute baloney he comes out with is fairly amazing.

Yep. I don't mind the usual Roganisms but it actually seemed like Maynard wanted to discuss the album and the album title etc. but Joe was content to change subject as quickly as possible to talk about the stuff that him and Maynard always talk about. He definitely has barely listened to few minutes of Tool's music.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Sitting here listening to Aenima in the kitchen. The wife says it just sounds like noise. What is wrong with some people? Ill have to re evalute our relationship.

Mods any chance we could get a thread title change? Tool would probably work just fine.

• Advertisement

weiland79 wrote: »
    Listening to Tool on the cycle to work this morning !!
    ( Not that i didnt before, but its different right?)

Ha snap, my legs seemed to have new energy on "bastard" hill today :pac:

Like stepping back in a time machine listening to many of these songs.

I hadn't actually properly listened to Tool for years, maybe the odd tune here and there, but, yeah, it had been many years.

Not that I'd forgotten them - Most of the songs, basically all of Aenima and Lateralus and two thirds of everything else, are hardwired into my brain after countless, countless listens back in the day: you never really forget that stuff that made you.

Some talk online about whether things have been compressed or mixed/mastered slightly differently - I'm not even going to pretend I understand all the levels of technicality. Hard to say, things sound pretty close to how I remember them.

Have to say, they're kinda business geniuses: the timing of the streaming releases and the announcement of the album = titanic levels of hype.

Have to say, they're kinda business geniuses: the timing of the streaming releases and the announcement of the album = titanic levels of hype.

Agreed. Not to mention going on Rogan the day of the announcement.

How are those itunes albums charts looking for them .....

https://kworb.net/aww/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Really enjoyed the drive home from work on Friday after a full days Tool inspired productivity (including a beer at lunch which was more or less Tool talk with another fan in the office, while everyone else prattled on about work)

I was listening to someone, forget if he was from Keane or Kaiser Cheifs, one of those guys speak on tv a few weeks ago how they have changed their song writing style for some of the songs on their new album, because you really need to grab listeners in the first 20/30 seconds on streaming platforms...…..and I was thinking of that when I was listening to the epic intros on the Tool stuff.
    A very different audience of course, but funny to think of the type of "artist" that qualifies success by clicks or by how whether they are actually happy with how it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭fyfe79

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Was also hopeful of news of them re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl, as they mentioned it a year or two ago, but no dice. Yet.

Ha, it seems like good news! This Dutch site is selling the new album and mentions that the others on vinyl are on the way....

https://www.hoeshop.nl/a-56948912/welkom/tool-fear-inoculum-lp-versie/#description

"The older albums Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus and 10,000 Days are also remastered on vinyl for the first time"

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Fear Inoculum will have 7 tracks, and is around 80 minutes in length...

https://loudwire.com/new-tool-album-80-minutes-seven-tracks/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Fear Inoculum will have 7 tracks, and is around 80 minutes in length...

https://loudwire.com/new-tool-album-80-minutes-seven-tracks/

Now that's the kind of song length I can get on board with. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A breakdown of some of the parts of Schism
    https://soundcloud.com/theklossessions/tool-schism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

weiland79 wrote: »
    Sitting here listening to Aenima in the kitchen. The wife says it just sounds like noise. What is wrong with some people? Ill have to re evalute our relationship.

Hey! What's my wife doing in your kitchen??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

it's so mad to think I was 16 the last time I heard new Tool music. My whole life has happened since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Do I wait for the entire album or not?

hmmmmmm

Well its unmistakably Tool and feels like it could have been released on 10,000 days.
    I like it, but it hasnt knocked anything off my 'Id love to hear that live list'.
    It says we are still bad ass musicians, but for me it meanders along just a bit too much with not enough hard rock pay off except for the last minute where that hard Metallica One sounding riff kicks in.
    The bass throughout is bad ass, but Maynard i felt never really gets into second gear.

Should you wait for the full album?

It may play better in the context of the full album alright.

7.5/10

I should clarify that I'll still be listening to it on repeat for the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I caved in and listened although I do think based on the interviews that it'll work a lot better as part of a full album listen.

On first listen it feels like a mash up of riffs and moments from previous Tool albums with Maynard bringing a bit of APC to the table.

If it was released by another band I would consider it to be super derivative. Because its Tool I'm wondering if some AI helped put it together or whether it's repeated motifs are part of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

definitely feels very derivative to these ears. It's ike Tool have forgotten how to be Tool so they're trying too hard to write a Tool song, if you get me.

Will reserve full opinion until I listen to album, it could indeed work better in context. New tunes on the live set definitely more interesting standalone than this one.

I'm in two minds about it myself. There's parts of it I like: the intro is cool enough, there's passages here and there that are really good, but a lot of it feels like they are retreading old ground - some of the riffs are astonishingly close to what they've done before, there's drum parts that are exactly like the drumming on reflection and the climax of the song sounds too close to Eulogy for me. Feels a lot like Tool doing a Tool cover, rather than something that'll blow your mind.

Maynard sounds very much in APC mode as well, which I'm not too sure about: I thought their album last year was pretty bland and forgettable.

It's not bad and there's a lot of unrealistic expectations for them to deliver a mind-blowing piece of music after thirteen years and, sure, maybe in an album context it'll sound a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The new song is rather boring. It just re-threads old ground and offers nothing new.
    The new logo and artwork are fairly bad too.

5/10
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Because its Tool I'm wondering if some AI helped put it together.
    This is what I was thinking. It sounds like an AI-generated Tool song.

Advertisement