Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can straight men recognise a good looking guy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Market research would indicate that guys are more likely to respect the opinion of a good looking man. Why do you think salesmen bother dressing up and looking the part or TV adverts avoid using ugly guys to sell products (other than for comic value).

We expect TV presenters, leading actors, even sports stars to look 'good'.

Compare a good looking footballer to an ugly one and you'll see how the reaction varies.

It's not about sexual attraction, it's just about aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Man Crush thread reminded me of a conversation I had a while back with friends. We were sitting in an open plan cafe in a shopping centre and a good looking guy walked by. The girls acknowledged his good looks and someone asked our male friend (straight) and I whether we agreed he was good looking. As a gay guy, I agreed the stranger was handsome but our straight friend said "How would I know, I'm straight!". We argued that surely he can still tell the difference between a good looking and ugly guy the same way women can rate other women but he was adamant he couldn't so we left it at that

I suppose my question is can straight guys recognise good looking men from not so good looking men and secondly, if so, why would some guys deny it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Solair wrote: »
    Market research would indicate that guys are more likely to respect the opinion of a good looking man. Why do you think salesmen bother dressing up and looking the part or TV adverts avoid using ugly guys to sell products (other than for comic value).

We expect TV presenters, leading actors, even sports stars to look 'good'.

Compare a good looking footballer to an ugly one and you'll see how the reaction varies.

Not too sure about that, Rio Ferdinand and Peter Crouch wouldn't be goodlooking IMO, I don't think they would have got many sexy women into bed if they weren't famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Peter Crouch is not ugly. He grimaces a lot but he's far from an uggo.

I think it depends more on the guy than sexuality, tbh. Some people (men and women) just aren't very observant. If the attractiveness-level of people around them isn't something they care about, then they won't really notice a particularly good looking man unless he's pointed out especially.

We'll agree to differ on this, but if definitely put him in the uggo category. The lankiness is part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Not too sure about that, Rio Ferdinand and Peter Crouch wouldn't be goodlooking IMO, I don't think they would have got many sexy women into bed if they weren't famous.

Well Ronaldinho was once famously dismissed as being too ugly to be a galactico by a Real Madrid executive.

And only looks could explain the phenomenal marketing success of Beckham. There have certainly been far better players in the last decade yet he's been one of the biggest draws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Dont think so... everytime I ask the question the females in my vicinity shoot me down. Maybe I just have bad taste?

Fame, money, influence etc can also work like beer-goggles !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

seachto7 wrote: »

His money. They say his dick is excessively large too.

seachto7 wrote: »

Could we get Mrs Merton over to host the Late Late Show. She was a class act!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Solair wrote: »
    Fame, money, influence etc can also work like beer-goggles !

Exactly the point I was making.

Two other examples that come to mind would be Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood, who I would imagine most people would agree are not good looking. If they weren't rich and famous I doubt they would be sleeping with many good looking women.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

all my male friends are straight and all say I'm good looking so yes.....yes they can ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

Good Looking: Yes.

Attractive: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If there was a mug-shot line-up of ten random non-famous guys, I would expect my ranking of them to differ significantly from that done by a female. That's just my experience anyway.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement