Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Yeh I'm aware of all that its just I'll end up with a score of like 150 MAX in the hpat and that leaves me with NO CHANCE of getting medicine even if I got 625 (or 565 adjusted) :(

They're making the hpat seem wayyyyy more important that the LC but it shouldn't be as its not a taught subject and you havnt spent 3 years practicing for it :/

Have you taken up the course with ME or any other HPAT revision course?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Have you taken up the course with ME or any other HPAT revision course?

with 'ME' as I said earlier.. :rolleyes:
    what about you, have you been practicing yet?

with 'ME' as I said earlier.. :rolleyes:
    what about you, have you been practicing yet?

Apologies. I must've forgot. Are you on the platinum package? And no not yet, like besides questions I've found on Google but noting serious yet, I sort of like them kind of questions though (if you get me), HPAT style questions is sort of something I would try do for fun because I love riddles and doing IQ tests but I've yet to actually do it, so I don't know yet..

Apologies. I must've forgot. Are you on the platinum package? And no not yet, like besides questions I've found on Google but noting serious yet, I sort of like them kind of questions though (if you get me), HPAT style questions is sort of something I would try do for fun because I love riddles and doing IQ tests but I've yet to actually do it, so I don't know yet..

Not sure really, someone did it for me :rolleyes:

Well at least you're motivated!
    I USED to like riddled and IQ tests and all that UNTIL the hpat came along and just confused me.... :p

Not sure really, someone did it for me :rolleyes:

Well at least you're motivated!
    I USED to like riddled and IQ tests and all that UNTIL the hpat came along and just confused me.... :p

What part do you find the hardest?

• Advertisement

What part do you find the hardest?

All of them are challenging to be honest :p haha I think I just suck at it in general :rolleyes:

All of them are challenging to be honest :p haha I think I just suck at it in general :rolleyes:

Very optimistic and confident I see lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

iTomSimo wrote: »
    In 2012 you need about 730 points to get into medicine.

I wish. I got 731 this year and didn't get into medicine.

Lowest was 737 (736 at third round possibly cause a couple of girls got offered places super late)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

I wish. I got 731 this year and didn't get into medicine.

Lowest was 737 (736 at third round possibly cause a couple of girls got offered places super late)

How much did you get in HPAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

Honestly 181 is a good score. You'd be in 80 percentile or more. What are you planning to do this year? Any special preparation?

kundan2012 wrote: »
    Honestly 181 is a good score. You'd be in 80 percentile or more. What are you planning to do this year? Any special preparation?

I think it was 84th or 83rd or something, can't quite remember.

I'm currently in NUIG Astrophysics. This time I'm just trying to study consistently. To be honest my college work is really not my priority, despite me really enjoying it, I just wanna be in med next year :P I'm also reading books that aren't necessarily about psychometric testing but are still useful.

I'm just trying to practice consistently, it's the only way I can see myself getting better.

I think it was 84th or 83rd or something, can't quite remember.

I'm currently in NUIG Astrophysics. This time I'm just trying to study consistently. To be honest my college work is really not my priority, despite me really enjoying it, I just wanna be in med next year :P I'm also reading books that aren't necessarily about psychometric testing but are still useful.

I'm just trying to practice consistently, it's the only way I can see myself getting better.

Bit more info on the books?

Err Emotional intelligence by Daniel Goleman and Verbal reasoning for the mcat, although they don't really address a test similar to hpat, I reckon if you applied the techniques consistently and started to think like that, it could help with section 2 and 1 respectively. The verbal reasoning one moreso on a practical level cause it deals with speed reading and comprehension I guess.

Then for section 3 I have a couple of books on Psychometric testing, but I'm not sure how helpful they've been, I don't really wanna recommend a good one, cause I just picked a couple at random from my local bookshop. I'd say if you googled some Australian Umat forums though you could probably find a few good recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

Can I get maybe a few insights into what colleges people will be hoping to get to do Med, I know that a lot of people will automatically think Trinity but I'd like to get an unbiased opinion from people on whether or not they're just choosing their college based on which is the highest points or whether they have some other genuine reason for picking one over another :D :P again thanks everyone for keeping the thread so relevant to the topic :D

CAO:
    Trinity
    UCD
    RCSI
    UCC
    UL

UK:
    Warwick University
    Few others to decide, probably London based though.

I'd choose trinity first because I live close to it, only a short bus ride.

CAO:
    Trinity
    UCD
    RCSI
    UCC
    UL

UK:
    Warwick University
    Few others to decide, probably London based though.

I'd choose trinity first because I live close to it, only a short bus ride.

UL don't offer Undergraduate Medicine.

Something to consider is also if you wanna do pre med or not, last year on my cao I had UCD first choice cause I wanted to do pre med, but this year I'll probably put in Trinity first cause I'll already have had a year of college. And I reckon if I had gotten into Medicine and had skipped pre med, with the amount of lectures I missed/went into hungover I'd probably be failing thus far and not really enjoying med, whereas now that I've sorta gotten over the whole going out 10 nights a week thing I'm just really eager to study. I reckon it's something people should actually consider seriously about pre med. The majority (and I mean like 99.99%) of people who did pre med, recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

What are the easiest uk unis to get into?
    Would it be a bad idea to apply to Budapest or Prague?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pdhpat2014

Can I get maybe a few insights into what colleges people will be hoping to get to do Med, I know that a lot of people will automatically think Trinity but I'd like to get an unbiased opinion from people on whether or not they're just choosing their college based on which is the highest points or whether they have some other genuine reason for picking one over another :D :P again thanks everyone for keeping the thread so relevant to the topic :D

Trinity for me but only because i live a 10 minute bus journey away. I'd do it anywhere really besides Cork because the points are higher for Cork than they are for Galway and I'd much rather go to Galway than Cork. I'll put UCD down number 2 but I probably won't end up going there anyway, seeing as it's only 1 point less than Trinity, odds are I wont get exactly that amount of points, so it's most likely either Trinity, Galway or my 4th choice. What about you, and what are you going to put down after medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

pdhpat2014 wrote: »
    Trinity for me but only because i live a 10 minute bus journey away. I'd do it anywhere really besides Cork because the points are higher for Cork than they are for Galway and I'd much rather go to Galway than Cork. I'll put UCD down number 2 but I probably won't end up going there anyway, seeing as it's only 1 point less than Trinity, odds are I wont get exactly that amount of points, so it's most likely either Trinity, Galway or my 4th choice. What about you, and what are you going to put down after medicine?

Interesting that you would mention that in fact as i was considering the realization today that I may in fact NOT GET MEDICINE (God forbid!!! :eek: ) and i think its up to all of us to consider that option too. I know many people, friends and relations who simply didnt get enough points and just put down the first thing that came into their head as a second option, not a good idea! One should consider their second option as meticulously as they did their first as there is a limited number of places in med, and we cant all get in :p ! As for me I think a good second option would be Radiography in UCD :D although i would be gutted if i didnt get med, i would at least be working in the same field, plus the hours are better, no on-call and you cant really take your work home as the job would involve prepping patients for chemo therapy and radiotherapy and producing the results, from then on its up to the doctors to decide the best route of care :). As for a college, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place between TCD and UCD, as I do think these are the leading colleges and although Trinity has the prestigious reputation I think UCD has perhaps surpasses Trinity in the last few years :P its hard to tell but anyone who's done med in either the two of these or other institutions might shine a bit of light on the situation for me? :cool: So what is everyone else considering as a second option?...and on a slightly off topic note is anyone heading up to the TCD open day on 2nd December? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

Interesting that you would mention that in fact as i was considering the realization today that I may in fact NOT GET MEDICINE (God forbid!!! :eek: ) and i think its up to all of us to consider that option too. I know many people, friends and relations who simply didnt get enough points and just put down the first thing that came into their head as a second option, not a good idea! One should consider their second option as meticulously as they did their first as there is a limited number of places in med, and we cant all get in :p ! As for me I think a good second option would be Radiography in UCD :D although i would be gutted if i didnt get med, i would at least be working in the same field, plus the hours are better, no on-call and you cant really take your work home as the job would involve prepping patients for chemo therapy and radiotherapy and producing the results, from then on its up to the doctors to decide the best route of care :). As for a college, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place between TCD and UCD, as I do think these are the leading colleges and although Trinity has the prestigious reputation I think UCD has perhaps surpasses Trinity in the last few years :P its hard to tell but anyone who's done med in either the two of these or other institutions might shine a bit of light on the situation for me? :cool: So what is everyone else considering as a second option?...and on a slightly off topic note is anyone heading up to the TCD open day on 2nd December? :D

Radiographers take pictures.
    They literally take pictures.
    They take the X-Rays and give them to the doctors to interpret.
    Also, don't know where you got the idea that UCD has surpassed Trinity. Do you know anything about the Medicine courses in either college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vasari

Anyone know where I can get the answers to practice test 1? I have the paper but no answers or marking scheme :confused:. Thanks.

vasari wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get the answers to practice test 1? I have the paper but no answers or marking scheme :confused:. Thanks.

When you register to sit the hpat practise booklet one is made available to download as a pdf from the acer hpat Ireland website http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/ The solutions are in this pdf along with the booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Just registered for Med entry.

Sh*t just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Just registered for Med entry.

Sh*t just got real.

When does that expire? Do you have it for 2 years?

0mega wrote: »
    When does that expire? Do you have it for 2 years?

Yeah was gonna say. Does that not expire in like, March.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Yeah was gonna say. Does that not expire in like, March.

Yes it does and I now feel extremely stupid. :( :mad:

I rang them there and they said if you conatct head office they should be able to organise something. Fingers crossed I didn't just waste 400 euro...

I'm definitely suited to studying medicine what with my great logical reasoning :rolleyes:

Good luck, I can imagine how pissed off you must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

Anyone thinking about UKCAT and the UK? A local GP says that the student doctors he gets from the UK are 10 times better than those that he gets from any Irish university. There are absolutely no fees in Scotland either, which has some of the best medicine courses (Dundee and Edinburgh)
    And for anyone thinking about RCSI, it may not be the best choice. A person working there told a family member to avoid at all costs, and that UCD is firmly No.1, but still behind many UK uni's. Just my 2Cs...

• Advertisement

iwasonbwh wrote: »
    Anyone thinking about UKCAT and the UK? A local GP says that the student doctors he gets from the UK are 10 times better than those that he gets from any Irish university. There are absolutely no fees in Scotland either, which has some of the best medicine courses (Dundee and Edinburgh)
    And for anyone thinking about RCSI, it may not be the best choice. A person working there told a family member to avoid at all costs, and that UCD is firmly No.1, but still behind many UK uni's. Just my 2Cs...

Is this correct? I'm not sure and I know there was some change in Scottish policy recently regarding Irish applicants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement