Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nogivingup

Lets get it started lads ;) :P I know i'm very early but its a handy way for those who know they want med to keep in contact and vent their idea's :)

<snip grammar/spelling nazism>

iwasonbwh wrote: »
    You might think that but my GP is a TCD tutor and is fairly well in with those in the know. The best selection process would be to scrap the HPAT and have an interview as well as the points

ampmm wrote: »
    Gps would know more because they right about it in the Irish medical times...which only doctors get
    <snip more tedious grammar nazism>

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

nogivingup wrote: »
    Looking at your spelling, looks like you'll be eligible for *Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

You don't write anything in the HPAT, you just fill in black circles on an answer sheet..

Awkward for you :eek:

0mega wrote: »

You don't write anything in the HPAT, you just fill in black circles on an answer sheet..

Awkward for you :eek:

I am familiar with the HPAT, though, having only sat it once, I probably will never be as familiar with it as many of the people on this thread will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

I am familiar with the HPAT, though, having only sat it once, I probably will never be as familiar with it as many of the people on this thread will be.

So you've already sat it but are planning to sit it again in 2014? 3 years to get into medicine? Don't think it'll take that long for me if I'm honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

Looking at your spelling, looks like you'll be eligible for *Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

<snip retort to grammar/spelling nazi>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nobody likes a grammar or spelling nazi, I know, but it's no excuse for abusive posts.
    Next time, there will be a warning for Cupertinokiid or nogivingup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

spurious wrote: »
    Nobody likes a grammar or spelling nazi, I know, but it's no excuse for abusive posts.
    Next time, there will be a warning for Cupertinokiid or nogivingup.

Sorry about my outburst there admin....glad to see you agree it was justified though , thanks :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sorry about my outburst there admin....glad to see you agree it was justified though , thanks :D
    Actually, I think you misunderstood spurious, Cupertinokiid ... she agreed that grammar nazis are annoying, she in no way implied that your outburst was justified.

The first rule of this site from its foundation has always been "Be civil!"

We hold to that very strongly here in the LC forum; sure, a bit of good-natured teasing and banter is fine in an appropriate context, but definitely NOT the kind of abuse which spurious deleted earlier.

Having (I hope) made that clear for everyone, let's move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

I've heard some rumors from friends and the almighty "internetz11!!010" confirms some of these allegations, but I'm not entirely sure, from what I gather; The HPAT is not working, by that I mean it has many flaws. So a riddance of the HPAT would make sense to a degree.

Erm... That is all.

Discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

I've heard some rumors from friends and the almighty "internetz11!!010" confirms some of these allegations, but I'm not entirely sure, from what I gather; The HPAT is not working, by that I mean it has many flaws. So a riddance of the HPAT would make sense to a degree.

Erm... That is all.

Discuss.
    Could it b gone by Leaving Cert 2015/16???

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Could it b gone by Leaving Cert 2015/16???

It could be gone after this year, but don't quote me on it. According to the minister of health, that is: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-wants-to-scrap-test-for-medical-schools-3023897.html

Although that said, if it does go, that would probably make the LC even more difficult in terms of people would definitely need 625, unless they change HPAT into a taught school subject (my idea loool)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pdhpat2014

anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the minimum points requirement will be come 2014 in the various unis? it was 746 for trinity and 737 for galway last year, the rest were in between. I can't find anywhere what it is for this year, hopefully it wont go up much higher

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

It could be gone after this year, but don't quote me on it. According to the minister of health, that is: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-wants-to-scrap-test-for-medical-schools-3023897.html

Although that said, if it does go, that would probably make the LC even more difficult in terms of people would definitely need 625, unless they change HPAT into a taught school subject (my idea loool)

625 would mean that OL maths students have literally no chance.... bit unfair... but then again I have a better chance of getting 625 than getting a good h-pat to be honest... I SUCK at it.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Come, join us, join the dark side and partake in the mystery thread that is "POP QUIZ" :p

625 would mean that OL maths students have literally no chance.... bit unfair... but then again I have a better chance of getting 625 than getting a good h-pat to be honest... I SUCK at it.... :rolleyes:

Have you done the HPAT before?

Have you done the HPAT before?

well I do it on M** E**** but its too hard..... :(

What exactly is the hard part? A lot of the questions are not so difficult (bar a few), once you understand the concept of what they're asking you, it all becomes like any other exam. Practice makes perfect, keep going over and over and over and over and over and you will soon perfect it.

I'm going to start after Christmas, at least 2-4 hours a week, for about 10-12 months until HPAT 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

What exactly is the hard part? A lot of the questions are not so difficult (bar a few), once you understand the concept of what they're asking you, it all becomes like any other exam. Practice makes perfect, keep going over and over and over and over and over and you will soon perfect it.

I'm going to start after Christmas, at least 2-4 hours a week, for about 10-12 months until HPAT 2014.

There is no need to do that much at all this early.. :eek:

You don't want to let HPAT prep hinder your school work either! I imagine the majority of those who do well in the HPAT didn't even being to look at it until 6th year.

There is no need to do that much at all this early.. :eek:

You don't want to let HPAT prep hinder your school work either! I imagine the majority of those who do well in the HPAT didn't even being to look at it until 6th year.

Really /:
    Now that you mention it, maybe I should postpone it for Easter or Summer at the least. I want at least 200+, I won't settle for less!

• Advertisement

everything, like there are some difficult ones in section one, then section 2 is easy ( I thought) but then I get loads wrong and section three the 'pick the middle' ones are horrible, like seriously I'm only getting a max of 40-sh percentile and most of the time its 0-20.....

its awful....:(

Really /:
    Now that you mention it, maybe I should postpone it for Easter or Summer at the least. I want at least 200+, I won't settle for less!

have you practiced yet? like have you been doing well in them? I'd say you are ... :rolleyes:

Where did you guys buy/get the sample questions and how much was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Captain Albection

Where did you guys buy/get the sample questions and how much was it?

https://hpat-ireland-reg.acer.edu.au/index.php?cmd=toBooklets

€22 per test. 2 tests available.

Is it possible to get your arm around, more than 2 or different ones I should say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kundan2012

Is it possible to get your arm around, more than 2 or different ones I should say?

Practice the various online full length tests available.

kundan2012 wrote: »

Practice the various online full length tests available.

Link link link lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 iTomSimo

I don't think your standard GP would know that in fairness, about reliable as me saying it will be gone. Just speculation although the recent report about the HPAT making costing the exchequer could make it's abolishment possible.

I heard a rumour that they're in a 7 year contract with ACER, anyone know whether that's true or not?

Yeah, no way it'd be gone by 2014. Sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 10 iTomSimo

You can't even get 625 because they have this system in place:
    Total points = Leaving Certificate (adjusted) + HPAT score
    Up to 550: no adjustment
    >550: 5 points = 1 adjusted point
    Maximum LC score of 625 = 565 adjusted points

An example: If your unadjusted LC points is 565, and HPAT score is 190:

Your adjusted LC points is 553
    553+190=743 Total points
    In 2012 you need about 730 points to get into medicine.

• Advertisement

iTomSimo wrote: »
    You can't even get 625 because they have this system in place:
    Total points = Leaving Certificate (adjusted) + HPAT score
    Up to 550: no adjustment
    >550: 5 points = 1 adjusted point
    Maximum LC score of 625 = 565 adjusted points

An example: If your unadjusted LC points is 565, and HPAT score is 190:

Your adjusted LC points is 553
    553+190=743 Total points
    In 2012 you need about 730 points to get into medicine.

Yeh I'm aware of all that its just I'll end up with a score of like 150 MAX in the hpat and that leaves me with NO CHANCE of getting medicine even if I got 625 (or 565 adjusted) :(

They're making the hpat seem wayyyyy more important that the LC but it shouldn't be as its not a taught subject and you havnt spent 3 years practicing for it :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement