Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassists !! Do you use a pick ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Wow 27 Bass Players in the one place, 3 more and you'll have enough to change a lightbulb :pac:

/gets coat

There's the door ->

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

As most people have said, it depends on the song or the style of music Im playing. Sometimes Ill use a pick sometimes Ill use my fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Savman wrote: »
    Wow 27 Bass Players in the one place, 3 more and you'll have enough to change a lightbulb :pac:

/gets coat

Why do bassists have big shoulders?
    To carry the Drummer

Why do bassists leave drumsticks on their dashboards?
    So they can park in handicapped spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

I have been playing bass for a number of years and when I first started I wanted to play with a pick and wear my bass down by my knees a la punk style. When I got seriously into playing bass, as in when I wasn't just mucking about on it and actually wanted to learn the thing, I didn't have a pick but believe it or not I have fingers lol so I used them instead. The thing is my right hand technique came naturally to me, it is something I never had to really work on (except for three finger technique and tapping) so to use a pick never really appealed to me. When I did try, I ended up losing them or got fed up with the way it felt in my hand and how my playing sounded. Personally I do prefer the sound of a bass played with fingers over the sound of a pick, but more than that I prefer the expression, the groove and flow of playing with fingers. But thats just me and I'm hardly going to sit in judgement over someone who play's with a pick, and I do like music that has bass playing with a pick too. Who is anyone to judge how someone expresses themselves musically, use a chair leg on the thing if it gets the sound you are after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Like others have said it depends entirely on the song or style I'm playing. I do mainly use my fingers but that's mainly because I find it easier.

There's a guy on Youtube called ToolBassPlayer and he has tabbed all of Tools songs and plays them on his videos and he still gets a load of comments from people telling him he should be using his fingers. Justin Chancellor doesn't play with his fingers, he uses a pick! Besides which his style of bass playing sounds much better with a pick.

As another example one of my favourite bass lines is La Femme d'Argent by Air which just has to played on a Precision with a pick. It just wouldn't be right otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 stephen22

Should drummers use sticks, brushes or mallots? Or guitar players should finger pick or use a pick?

Play to YOUR style and play to the song and just appreciate music for what it is and open your mind to everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

One man striving to bring harmony to the debate.....

http://www.guitarfail.com/aerosmith-tom-hamilton-finger-bass-guitar-pick/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Looks like the thread has more or less run it's course at this stage. Good to see that the majority are not biased and are happy to use both pick and fingers depending on the music.

Also interesting to see that there are more bassists (34 voted ) lurking on "Boards" than I'm sure most of us thought.

Thanks to all who voted and took part in the debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I feel I need to know more about the Boards bass player community. Someone start a picture thread! :pac:

• Advertisement

Someone start a picture thread! :pac:

Off you go then..!!

The thread could also include what type of basses, strings, amps, cabs, etc that people use.

Dont let those guitarists have a monopoly on the forum. :p

We've been lurking in the shadows for too long. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Rigsby wrote: »
    Off you go then..!!

The thread could also include what type of basses, strings, amps, cabs, etc that people use.

Dont let those guitarists have a monopoly on the forum. :p

We've been lurking in the shadows for too long. ;)

Agreed! A picture/video thread just for the bassists. I want to know who has the nicest stuff ha ha! :pac:

Not sure if the mods would allow it though, seeing as there is already threads for post your gear and know your musos....... mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ger09

As Said in many posts above do whats best to serve the song you are playing.Actually a bass player Ireland Forum has to be done :)It would be good to get gear set up info along with trading thoughts and ideas and also for a classifieds section because the guys who are serious about bass will know the value of good gear as opposed to somebody trying to swap and xbox for your bass amp type situation :):D

What do you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I prefer finger style but i'm no les claypool and need a pick sometimes.
    Reason: I get a better tone with my fingers (even if it's just one) and it sounds killer

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ger09

That's true man, a lot of different tastes in players require being able to appreciate all sorts of styles whether it be fingers,slap,pick,tapping,E-bow or the good old source Audio Hot Hand technology which is seriously good for dub/electro stuff..there's a world of possibilities :) All depends on what floats your boat !

Not sure if the mods would allow it though, seeing as there is already threads for post your gear and know your musos....... mods?

You may be right about that. A P.M. to Pappa Dolla might be the best idea. No harm in asking.

Advertisement