Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassists !! Do you use a pick ?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭

I am curious to hear the opinions of people here on "Boards" on this topic. Over on another forum, this subject can often lead to a heated debate, and sometimes, downright hostility.

It seems that some bassists regard their pleck playing colleagues as somehow inferior to those who play with their fingers. I have seen the term "real" bassists don't use a pick" being used.

I cant for the life of me, understand the logic in this argument. There are lots of great bass players out there who have always used a pick. Carol Kaye, one of the most recorded bassists ever, has always used one. Macca is another name that springs to mind. Personally, I have always played with, and prefer to use my fingers. However, recently I have started experimenting with a pick, as one or two songs might be more suitable to the pick tone. I could never see myself using a pick permanently though.

The way I see it is that the more "tools" you have at your disposal, the better.

Any thoughts or opinions ?

Bassists ! What's your choice..pick or fingers. 24 votes

Pick
    0% 0 votes
    Fingers
    29% 7 votes
    I use both depending on the song.
    70% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭miniroar

Fingers all the way!! in terms of tools when you play without a pick you have five fingers at your disposal, with a pick your limited you only get half the show in my opinion, its not as smooth and you can't slap so whats the point playing bass if you can't schlap dat cat now and again!! the only style I think a pick suits is punk. I get so disapointed when I see a band and the bassist has a pick it does really annoy me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I use a pick. Used to play in metal bands with 2 guitarists and a loud drummer so I needed the pick to cut through. I do like playing fingerstyle, but I prefer to use a pick.

PS. thread needs poll.

I can’t help but think if carol kaye played her groovy bass lines with fingers they would sound much better? What would it be like to have carol play a bass line with fingers and jaco play with a pick and see which has improved? or steve harris with a pick and Tom Araya with fingers can’t see the pick sounding better in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

miniroar wrote: »
    Fingers all the way!! in terms of tools when you play without a pick you have five fingers at your disposal, with a pick your limited you only get half the show in my opinion, its not as smooth and you can't slap so whats the point playing bass if you can't schlap dat cat now and again!! the only style I think a pick suits is punk. I get so disapointed when I see a band and the bassist has a pick it does really annoy me!!

Interesting points made here. With regards slap, that's another contentious point which can cause heated debate. While I dont slap, I have no problem with people who do. The trouble is that it has been done to death.

Why should it disappoint and annoy you to see a bassist play in whatever way he chooses ? As with everything to do with bass, like string type, the bass guitar itself, amp, cab etc., tone is a personal thing. It would be a sad old world indeed if everyone had the same approach to the bass.

In your other post you mentioned Jaco. If everyone had the same approach to bass playing, no one would want to experiment, and Jaco would not have tore the frets from his bass, and given us the fretless. Is not diversity a good thing ?

It is one thing not to like playing with a pick, that's your call....but "disappoint" and "annoy"... :confused:

As for the pick only suiting punk........tell that to Macca !

I can’t help but think if carol kaye played her groovy bass lines with fingers they would sound much better?

Judging by the sale of the records she played on, and how much in demand she was (and still is) , there are countless millions of people around the world who would disagree with you.

• Advertisement

PS. thread needs poll.

Good idea.

Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Fingers only at the moment.
    Still practicing with the pec.
    Then I'll use whichever is most appropriate for the song.

I dont like using the words "or" and "versus" in topics like this, but for the benefit of the poll I felt there was no other option. The ideal thing is to be able to do both IMO.

I voted "fingers", but I am a firm believer in people playing in whatever way suits them, or whatever way they feel might suit the song. To each their own.

I always played with a pick because it suited the style of music I was playing at the time. In the last few years though, I use fingers and picks.

It's a silly argument to say one is better than the other in a general way. Some songs need a bassline picked, "Bright Yellow Gun" by Throwing Muses is the first song that popped in my head, similarly, "Rio" by Duran Duran would sound pretty lame with a pick.

As long as it suits the song, any kind of playing is fine imo

The reason I get disappointed is for exactly the points you made, personal tone and style etc, I don’t like the tone of a pick and I love finger funk and slap bass used in moderation too funk a track so when I see a bassist with a pick I know I’m not gonna get that, its not the person i', annoyed with i just dont like that style, again my personal preference, as you say millions of Carol fans would disagree with me!! My question is, is a pick restrictive? i.e there’s a whole world of technical technique that slap can open up, multiple finger plucking, muting notes, tapping etc are you taking away half the toolbox by only using a pick? if you were to sell the idea to me of converting to using a pick over fingers what are the benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I always played with a pick because it suited the style of music I was playing at the time. In the last few years though, I use fingers and picks.

It's a silly argument to say one is better than the other in a general way. Some songs need a bassline picked, "Bright Yellow Gun" by Throwing Muses is the first song that popped in my head, similarly, "Rio" by Duran Duran would sound pretty lame with a pick.

As long as it suits the song, any kind of playing is fine imo

Great post! Generally if I'm playing a cover I try to stick to whatever that bassist used (Finger or pick), but it's just a personal thing.

..I wonder how many bassists there actually are mucking about in this forum, I always got the impression we were a very small group :o

I always got the impression we were a very small group :o

Next to drummers, we are the smallest group of musicians I think.

I had a mad dream last night that I was hanging out with 4 bassists, but we didn't realise we were all bass players (it's something I've noticed before IRL, guitarists and singers are usually quite open about what they do, but you usually have to ask someone who plays bass what do they do) Anyway, we were sitting around, hanging out when we realised we all played bass and had the best time jamming out "big bottom" by Spinal Tap. (Something I haven't done yet :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Anyone who would decry the use of a pic over fingers and vice-versa is not open to new ideas would obviously have a very narrow minded view of music. The sound and tone achieved by both styles have aided bassists in creating new and exciting sounds that have kept the bass very much as an integral instrument. If you want wax on as a purist then I suggest you by a tuba.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

The reason I get disappointed is for exactly the points you made, personal tone and style etc, I don’t like the tone of a pick and I love finger funk and slap bass used in moderation too funk a track so when I see a bassist with a pick I know I’m not gonna get that, its not the person i', annoyed with i just dont like that style, again my personal preference, as you say millions of Carol fans would disagree with me!! My question is, is a pick restrictive? i.e there’s a whole world of technical technique that slap can open up, multiple finger plucking, muting notes, tapping etc are you taking away half the toolbox by only using a pick? if you were to sell the idea to me of converting to using a pick over fingers what are the benefits?

I accept some of your points. However, I am not saying that you should exclusively use a pick. My main point is why not have it in on standby to use if the song requires it ?

Is it restrictive ? That's for the bassist to decide, depending on the song or type of music being played. If so, then use fingers. Where is the reason to be disappointed or annoyed ????

My problem lies with people who look down on or dismiss other people's chosen bass technique as being somehow inferior.

..I wonder how many bassists there actually are mucking about in this forum, I always got the impression we were a very small group :o

I have often wondered that myself. Judging from the responce so far, quite a few.

Perhaps this thread will give up two answers instead of just the pick/fingers one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I started out playing metal/punk and it just sounded better with a pick. I started using my fingers though as I got older/mellower/better. Best to use whatever suits the song you're playing.

I have met some bassists at gigs etc who are complete a******s when it comes to this issue. Their scorn and distain for anyone using a pick was pretty intense. Not sure why? :confused: Some sort of superiority complex probably.

Dont get me wrong I dont look down on a fellow 4stringer or see a pick as inferior, I could say its me who is restricting myself by not using a pick for some songs, but if for example a player who only uses a pick has an audition for a cover band and are asked to play a song that has slap bass is it automatically dismissed? by the way my questions are not to dismiss a pick I'm just looking for education from a pickers view as this is so foreign to me...The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

Dont get me wrong I dont look down on a fellow 4stringer or see a pick as inferior, I could say its me who is restricting myself by not using a pick for some songs, but if for example a player who only uses a pick has an audition for a cover band and are asked to play a song that has slap bass is it automatically dismissed? by the way my questions are not to dismiss a pick I'm just looking for education from a pickers view as this is so foreign to me...The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

That's fair enough. I was not refering to you in particular, but talking generally. I cant educate you from a pickers aspect, as I dont use one myself....yet. ;)

Regarding your audition senario, an "all round" bassist is (should) be able to cover all the bas(s)es. Obviously, if you dont slap, you dont audition for say, a funk band. That's what I meant when I talked about having an array of "tools" in the box. It leaves your options open.

Once again, I am not talking about one technique to the exclusion of all others. All are good.

Yes all 12 of us who voted are awesome, the dirty groovy dozen!! there are so few of us its annoying if you need to borrow gear and know a hundred guitarests and no other bass players!! unless its a pick your after of course ;)

Yes all 12 of us who voted are awesome, the dirty groovy dozen!! there are so few of us its annoying if you need to borrow gear and know a hundred guitarests and no other bass players!! unless its a pick your after of course ;)

You never know, we'll probably get more to join the "Boards Bassists Soceity" !! :D It's early days yet as the thread was only started a few hours ago.

On the plus side of being in the minority, whereas guitarists are a dime a dozen, bassists are always in demand, and can have their pick (pun intended !!) of anything that's going......provided they have all the "tools" required for the job !!! :pac:

Maybe we should all ear mark this thread, so we know who to call on for a loan of gear. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Make way! Another bass player coming through! :pac:

When I started learning how to play I used a pick, mainly because I didnt have a clue what I was doing or even how the bass worked (I kinda jumped in at the deep end when I chose bass) Then somebody infomed me that its was more common for the bass player to just use his fingers. I liked the tone a lot more and I didnt look back. That was over 12 years ago and I havn't had a pick with me since.

Not to say I dont like the sound of the pick, I love the tone of a good metal bassist playing with a pick. But its not for me.

I also used to use three fingers on my right hand, but now mostly just two. I find its a more even sound, easier to sing with as well. Third finger is still there when I need it though! :D

Boards bassists ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I use a pick, but fingers or picks wouldn't change the fact that I suck at bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmaque

Some songs a pick, some songs just fingers, depends on the song and the mood I'm in. But really, being able/willing to do both/either gives you the best of both worlds.

viadah wrote: »
    the fact that I suck at bass.

I'd say we have all been there at some time, and some of us probably still are. :D

My slapping/popping technique is pretty shameful I must admit

• Registered Users Posts: 40 livingbasshead

I use both fingers and pick, the pick can be very useful to get a tight and rhythmic gallop at times. Just look at John Paul Jones, could play as fast as he wanted with his fingers (Dazed and Confused middle section) but sometimes he'd use a pick (Black Dog, Immigrant Song). I think it all depends on what feels right

• Registered Users Posts: 40 livingbasshead

Real bassists don't use a pick?? Just look at John Paul Jones or Duff McKagan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I use my fingers, cause I kept loosing the picks....

It's good to see that the "Boards Bass Society" has now increased to 26. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

From a purely "recording a song" point of view, It's entirely dependent on what I'm looking for that particular song.

Case by case basis.....

Advertisement