Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a commercial vehicle without a VAT number

Options
  • 23-10-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I have a commercial jeep which has been taxed and insured as commercial for the last year. Im a cabinet maker but not VAT registered! How do you go about taxing it commercially without or do you just have to pay private car tax rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Without a VAT number it may prove difficult. If you have had it taxed before and your CRW is in date, thn you can renew online. Likewise if you go into the tax office you may be lucky, or they might ask for the RF111 declaration. Renewed my own last month and there was no questions asked.. Apart from how are things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AMM85

It seems to be just if you get lucky in the tax office its alright! I have to go in so fingers crossed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

By right you should have a vat number to tax it commercially. But chance your arm you could be lucky. But if they refuse you will have to tax it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Fill out the form Goods Only Declaration RF111A, You can print it from the tax renewal site. Where it asks for your Income Tax Registration number just put in your pps number.

Explain your situation in the nature of my business/trade section then get it stamped and signed at the cop shop and head to the tax office you should then have no problems taxing it.

This is what i did as im an employed spark and have no vat no.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

I though you could use you prsi number as that is the number you would be putting on your invoice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

PPS numbers are likely to be cross checked in future from what's been said in past threads.

This question comes up frequently, have a word with the tax office, a VAT number isn't the only proof of commercial use accepted. At the moment you only get asked when the vehicle is new to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AMM85

got the tax sorted! Had the RF form all completed and he said he didnt need it (only for new vehicles as 101sean stated!) So no bothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭shebzie

Sorry for dragging this back up but I was the same had no problems the past few years taxing my van by renewal pin in post but now I didn't get pin and rang they said I need to give them vat number and proof of business any help on this please as I use my van for my dogs and have a large family that I transport our family bouncy castle from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try going into the motor tax office and taxing it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The whole vat number to tax a vehicle makes no sense. You can be perfectly tax compliant in a business that requires a commercial vehicle without being vat registered. Just use tax number/pps number on the forms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I thought it was to sign a form in the presence of a guarda and declare it for commercial use, not going to mass, pub, chipper and coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you don't have to have a VAT number, that's a myth. Just sign the commercial use only declaration as said above

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

corktina wrote: »
    you don't have to have a VAT number, that's a myth. Just sign the commercial use only declaration as said above

You need to sign a goods only declaration form and have it signed by a guard.

ALSO you need something like a tax clearence cert if self employed, or a letter from your employer stating that you need the van/jeep for work.

And IIRC there is also a requirment for a VAT number on the form. (But PPS also works)

I'v done it because that's the only way I could tax a commercial Transit last year.

DakarVert wrote: »
    You need to sign a goods only declaration form and have it signed by a guard.

tht's whats I said

You don't have an Employer if you are self-employed.

I went into tax office they said why there not sending out the pin in letters anymore is they have to see the proof of a vat number and proof of a business I have my van for 3 years and never had any problem as I don't have a vat number or a business

I'm currently on sw but does this mean I have to get rid of my van and my dog's it's all new to me.

shebzie wrote: »
    I'm currently on sw but does this mean I have to get rid of my van and my dog's it's all new to me.

No it means you'll have to pay the private tax rate

I wouldn't like to even guess the price on a 2.4 van private tax it's all wrong the way the system is so it's gonna cost a fortune from this year on.

It's not wrong at all. It's a special rate for commercial use, you should have been paying private all along.

Why should I I'm only resonly on sw If I start back next week or next month can i get my money back that I pay private when I'm going comercial again.

• Advertisement

" I don't have a vat number or a business" Nothing to do with being on sw, to get commercial tax you can only use a van for commercial purposes.

so why did they ask me when I never had a problem b4 I use it for my dogs and carrying just me I don't either have a vat number or business can u explain how you done this please.

You should never have had commercial tax if you weren't using it commercially. The clue is in the name. It's a concession for businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You just get the form that says you'll only use it for commercial uses. Stamped by gardai and away ya go

Yep, if you are willing to lie on a official form. witnessed by a Gard. I think a false declaration is quite a serious offence.

But why would it be false lol if I use it for just carrying goods like I have 2 bouncy castles and then I can use it for my dogs also.

corktina wrote: »
    Yep, if you are willing to lie on a official form. witnessed by a Gard. I think a false declaration is quite a serious offence.

Just like when we all got in trouble for declaring the car off the road while driving it around the entire time it was "off" off the road... Oh wait, nobody got in trouble for that ever now did they.

shebzie wrote: »
    But why would it be false lol if I use it for just carrying goods like I have 2 bouncy castles and then I can use it for my dogs also.

you said you didn't have a business!

corktina wrote:
    you said you didn't have a business!

I don't if u read my first post I said I have castle for family use so I shift it to family members from time to time as I have a big family and the van is handy for that also as it won't fit in my car it's 19x16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The legal position is that a vehicle may only be taxed commercially if it's used to carry goods commercially. It's there to give commercial owners a break on vehicles that tend to have high private tax rates.

There was a long period of time where this wasn't that strictly enforced, but in the last 12 months this has been tightened up. This is why you probably weren't asked about it in the past but are being asked now.

Advertisement