Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons.com 100-Word Story Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

gufnork wrote: »

I couldn't sleep one night so I came down, wrote it and entered so I'll not hold out too much hope. :) I had to read it back the following day just to make sure it wasn't nonesense.
    Oh I see well you never know! Do you know when they announce who won?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

FudgeBrace wrote: »
    Oh I see well you never know! Do you know when they announce who won?

Not sure but I think I remember them saying it would appear on the bookmarks in November(don't think they mentioned a date for that) so I'd say it'd be pretty quick.

gufnork wrote: »

Not sure but I think I remember them saying it would appear on the bookmarks in November(don't think they mentioned a date for that) so I'd say it'd be pretty quick.
    Oh okay, thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Go go gadget crappy last minute entry

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bluewolf wrote: »
    Go go gadget crappy last minute entry

That's what she...

no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Here's a story I didn't enter....(damn you plagiaristic guilt!!)

Thankfully the story i did enter wasn't a rip-off of an old joke - but then again, it wasn't very good either....oh well, fingers crossed in any case....and in the meantime:

The toy store was awash with Christmas shoppers as the man and his son made their way methodically through it. From aisle to aisle, from floor to floor, they examined each shelf with a uniquely festive blend of scrutiny and delight.

When they reached the third floor they saw an employee demonstrating a remote-control helicopter. It whirred and buzzed. It hovered and swirled. ‘That’s perfect’ the man said to the employee, ‘I’ll take it.’

‘Great,’ smiled the employee and, glancing at the boy, he added: ‘I’m sure he’ll love it.’

‘You’re right,’ said the man. ‘I’d better take two.’

I wrote one from the point of view of a dog who's owner has died.

Happy Christmas Eason customers, let me remind you of the fragility of life!

Mine was about an old sad book :p

I want to read that.

• Advertisement

Don't have it at work, PM ya when I get home :)

Mine was about the life of a toaster! How random are we!?

I'm not sure writing about a book for a bookshop comp is random...

It says on the competition entry page that a winner will be announced before Nov 9th - so nice and quick all right.

then again - I guess it doesn't take long to read the entries!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

alfa beta wrote: »
    Here's a story I didn't enter....(damn you plagiaristic guilt!!)

Thankfully the story i did enter wasn't a rip-off of an old joke - but then again, it wasn't very good either....oh well, fingers crossed in any case....and in the meantime:

The toy store was awash with Christmas shoppers as the man and his son made their way methodically through it. From aisle to aisle, from floor to floor, they examined each shelf with a uniquely festive blend of scrutiny and delight.

When they reached the third floor they saw an employee demonstrating a remote-control helicopter. It whirred and buzzed. It hovered and swirled. ‘That’s perfect’ the man said to the employee, ‘I’ll take it.’

‘Great,’ smiled the employee and, glancing at the boy, he added: ‘I’m sure he’ll love it.’

‘You’re right,’ said the man. ‘I’d better take two.’

Am I the only one who loved this? Great 100 word story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

What are the odds of them publishing the stories on their site prior to judgement?

[Quote=[-0-];81526232]What are the odds of them publishing the stories on their site prior to judgement?[/Quote]
    Do they put all the stories on the site?

I should hope so! I wanna read them all. :D

hcass wrote: »

Am I the only one who loved this? Great 100 word story.

Nope. It made me smile too. Is very good, that's for sure.

Yeah I hope so too. Would be great to read them alltogether like that.

• Advertisement

Regarding publishing all entries they had this to say:
    I can neither confirm nor deny that this will happen. We got so many great entries that we definitely want to do something with them. All I can say for the moment is: watch this space.

Oo, that sounds promising

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Missed the comp but I figured I'd give it a go having seen the thread.

Bounding down the stairs she screamed for her parents.
    "Santa's come! Santa's come!"
    At twelve she was getting a bit old for Santa but the wholefamily preferred the lie. She tore at the gifts, staring in amazement for a moment before moving onto the next. Mother was behind her trying to save the wrapping. In the midst of the frenzy Father took a picture.

Gently she replaced the silk cover on the photo and looked around her room. A small smile on her lips at the long forgotten memory of her last Christmas at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

[-0-] wrote: »
    What are the odds of them publishing the stories on their site prior to judgement?

I don't mind them publishing the stories but if it comes down to a Facebook Vote thing it's more of a popularity contest so any good / or budding authors don't stand a chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

Was sent an email this morning to say I'm a runner up & they're sending me out two books as a prize. No word on the entries being published though!

I'm all thrilled! :D

LollieB wrote: »
    Was sent an email this morning to say I'm a runner up & they're sending me out two books as a prize. No word on the entries being published though!

I'm all thrilled! :D

That's BRILLIANT! Congrats. :)

Congratulations to Barbara Leahy – winner of the first ever Easons.com Tiny Tall Tales competition! Barbara’s bittersweet (but mostly sweet) 100-word story about a young girl hoping for snow on Christmas Day was selected by our judging panel of in-house experts.

For her troubles, Barbara has won a new Sony WiFi PRS-T2 eReader. More importantly, her Tiny Tall Tale will appear on 10,000 Easons.com bookmarks!

Runners up are also posted:
    http://blog.easons.com/category/competitions/

Wu-hoo - that's me in second!!

Ok, ok, they say the runners-up are in 'no particular order', but as far as I'm concerned I'm second - let me have my moment of glory ;)

(Oh no, you all know my real name now....I'll never be able to visit the 'mustard' forum in secret again!)

That's awesome we have two boardsie runners up in such a competition

• Advertisement

Seeing as I didn't place, I may as well share my depressing tale!
    Good Boy

Before he found me I was scared and alone. He gave me a bed to sleep in and a bowl to eat from, and I wasn’t scared anymore. If I sat by his chair, his hand would drop to my head and he’d say, “good boy.” But one day it didn’t, and he didn’t, no matter how long I waited. I’d dig if I could, but my paws are weak and my bones are old. So instead I lie here, and if I’m lucky I’ll sleep, and dream of his hand on my head and him saying softly, “good boy.”

Advertisement