Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famicom Questions/Answers & Recommendations

Options
  • 22-10-2012 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title, I'm soon going to pull the trigger on a Famicom. One or two quick questions though before I do:

1) How do I power it without a stepdown? Atavan, were you using a Megadrive PSU?
    2) Is there any small point in going for an FC Twin? Were there any decent Famicom disc games released that are worth getting {friendly to English speakers}
    3) What are the general must-haves for the system?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I'm using a generic ac adapter from any Euro shop, was using a MD psu but this works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I think my one uses a UK Atari Jag PSU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure how cheap it is but yume penguin monogatari is superb. Also bio miracle bokutte upa but I think that one isn't so cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What about Famicom Disc games chaps? Anything worth the cost of the system?

EnterNow wrote: »

A lot of the disk based games were eventually released on carts as far as I know but it is a nice system to have in the collection anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The games Retr0 mentioned are about 60 & 180 respectively.
    If you can stand aiming a little lower then I would suggest the SMB series and the Gradius titles that I just bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well Metroid and Mario 2 (both exclusive to the disk system) are the ones that immediately spring to mind. Zelda started there too, and has superior sound to the cart version, though I'm still cart-only with that one at the moment. In general the disk versions are better owing to the increased capacity. Doki Doki Panic is an obvious one too but in that case the cart version aka Mario USA is better.

I love the Twin, might be my favourite console that I own, but the limited amount of disk games, the fragility of the disk drive (though relatively easy to fix) and the relatively high weight and therefore postage costs means it's probably not essential.

ghostchant wrote: »
    Well Metroid and Mario 2 (both exclusive to the disk system) are the ones that immediately spring to mind. Zelda started there too, and has superior sound to the cart version, though I'm still cart-only with that one at the moment. In general the disk versions are better owing to the increased capacity. Doki Doki Panic is an obvious one too but in that case the cart version aka Mario USA is better.

I love the Twin, might be my favourite console that I own, but the limited amount of disk games, the fragility of the disk drive (though relatively easy to fix) and the relatively high weight and therefore postage costs means it's probably not essential.

Cheers for that, so very little real point in owning one, barring to own one if you get me. Thanks man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania 3 could be worth getting with the improved sound.

I get a feeling that a lot of the japanese famicom exclusives are over prived on ebay since the guy from Famicom blog is able to get them an awful lot cheaper (the 100 yen copy of Mr. Gimmick might not be repeatable :) ).

No worries, you can always pick up a standalone disk system down the line anyway.

The stuff that the Famicomblog guy gets is not really representative of the going rate for games, as he lives a good distance away from the major cities (not even on the same island as Tokyo, Osaka et al), and he picks up games over an extended time frame, slowly sifting local places to find relatively infrequent, and, in the case of Gimmick, spectacular, bargains. Last time I'd checked he'd never even been to akihabara, where games like Mario 3 cost upwards of 20e in the likes of super potato.

Incidentally his blog is amazing, go green with envy every time I look at it :)

• Advertisement

He hasn't updated in a few weeks unfortunately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

As per the title, I'm soon going to pull the trigger on a Famicom. One or two quick questions though before I do:

1) How do I power it without a stepdown? Atavan, were you using a Megadrive PSU?

Yep, has to be the PSU from a model 1 Megadrive though as the model 2 one is different and will not work.

Essesntial games: Takeshi's challenge.

Takeshi's Challenge is essential even as a novelty item. It's cheap and it's the only game where the creators set out to knowingly make a piece of **** right from the start.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Takeshi's challenge.

Is that like the TV show with craig charles?

keithgeo wrote: »
    Is that like the TV show with craig charles?

There is a game of that as well. This one is different... way different. Watch this to understand the true horror:

It's revealed that the game was based on Takeshi's drunken ramblings.

Here's the Takeshi's Castle one:

I'm playing Balloon Fight right now on the Famicom and it's pretty good stuff

In terms of Megaman, would it be in any way an obstacle to collect Rockman for the Famicom instead? Or would I have a harder time finding them? Is it language dependant??

/nes & megaman newb quiry

Shouldn't be hard to pick them and absolutely no language barrier. Have the first 3 on Famicom and no issues. Paid more than I should have for them due to getting them from Super Potato

Shouldn't be hard to pick them and absolutely no language barrier. Have the first 3 on Famicom and no issues. Paid more than I should have for them due to getting them from Super Potato

No language problems? Hmm, cool. Are there any technical advantages to the Famicom over the Nes versions?

Sorry for the newb questions, I just plan on buying these games once :o

There are some differences, the one that comes to mind with MM2 is that the western version has a difficulty select, while the Famicom version has one difficulty - the hard mode in the west, because we're wusses. There's some minor differences in other games too but none I've noticed myself, except for the title screen in the first game being different. Nothing too major anyway. I'd go with the Famicom games simply because the box/cart art in the western versions are a load of ass in both relative and absolute terms.

• Advertisement

There are some differences, the one that ones to mind with MM2 is that the western version has a difficulty select, while the Famicom version has one difficulty - the hard mode in the west, because we're wusses. There's some minor differences in other games too but none I've noticed myself, except for the title screen in the first game being different. Nothing too major anyway. I'd go with the Famicom games simply because the box/cart art in the western versions are a load of ass in both relative and absolute terms.

Food for thought, many thanks!

Food for thought, many thanks!

You want me to check if I have any Rockman games from my various bulk purchases over the last few months(I've about 700 Famicom games in storage but I'll be in there over the next few days and can check)?
    I'll give ya a fair price :D

Steve SI wrote: »
    You want me to check if I have any Rockman games from my various bulk purchases over the last few months(I've about 700 Famicom games in storage but I'll be in there over the next few days and can check)?

You say what now???
    There are other Fami owners here!
    Lets see a list!!
    Or, at least let me know if you have Bomberman or Parodius.... any Twinbee games as well.... Castlevania III...... damn it, I've gone cross-eye'd!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You say what now???
    There are other Fami owners here!
    Lets see a list!!
    Or, at least let me know if you have Bomberman or Parodius.... any Twinbee games as well.... Castlevania III...... damn it, I've gone cross-eye'd!

I'll have a look and see for you. The bulk of them are not for sale just yet in case anyone is expecting a list of them all with prices etc.

Absolutely man! Cidey can feck off this is my thread :D Twould be greatly appreciated man :cool:

Absolutely man! Cidey can feck off this is my thread :D Twould be greatly appreciated man :cool:

[Menace]Your thread...... but if I just press a button it.... goes away....

Now, we wouldn't want that, would we?...

So, I'll just forget you just said that, and we'll continue as we were....[/Menace]

No probs, I'll be in the storage facility over the weekend and will see if I have any of the above games.
    I was going to head down tonight to get some LaserDiscs out but I don't think they're open late.

No probs, I'll be in the storage facility over the weekend and will see if I have any of the above games.
    I was going to head down tonight to get some LaserDiscs out but I don't think they're open late.

Cool, if yo come across any Rockman carts put my name on them :)

Howdy Steve, did you get a chance to sift through the carts, any Rockman ones? :)

• Advertisement

Would be a good idea getting the Famicom Rockman games. VI and I are quick expensive and the others have held their price well, famicom should be much cheaper. Should be no language barrier the stories are fluff anyway. Also Megaman 2 should be played on Hard and never played on normal so you aren't missing out there. Playing on normal is like playing Gunstar Heroes on normal, there's lots of gameplay elements and enemy attack patterns cut.

Advertisement