Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic regulations affecting cyclists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

kenmc wrote: »
    ... the little blurb at the bottom ...
    Yeah - truly a case of "Where's Waldo?"

So the next question is: how to ensure this is publicised, including to the Gardai?!

In the meantime, I suppose I should print the document, with relevant bits and explanatory note highlighted, to wave at aggressive motorists and the aforementioned law enforcers? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Whoa - and right at the bottom, as an "Explanatory Note", he spells out what I was hoping was implied (reading between the lines):

Woooohoooo! :D

Finally!

S.I. No. 332/2012 — Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html

+ Well-spotted by galwaycyclist!

Hmm...wonder if Varadkar et al. would be just as happy if we didn't find out that it had finally happened... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's about time. Waiting for this for some time -- at least the last time they said soon they were true to their word.

• Advertisement

Bonus! We're allowed to use bus contraflow lanes now, apparently:
    (3) A person shall not enter a contra-flow bus lane with a vehicle
    other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle.
    and, from the Explanatory Note at the bottom:
    (including change in law to permit pedal cyclists to use contra-flow bus lanes and bus-only streets)
    (I know it was previously prohibited for the lane on Stephen's Green East, anyway; wonder if the sign will be amended)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

(3) A person shall not enter a contra-flow bus lane with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle.

Looks like its now legal for cyclists to use contraflow bus lanes.

Edit nomdeboardie beat me to it on the bus lanes

Also Cyclist.ie was looking for a statement that motorists could cross a solid white line to pass cyclists. Minister Kelly had indicated he was in favour - any sign of this one in there?

There are also new traffic signs regulations

S.I. No. 331/2012 — Road Traffic (Signs) (Amendment) Regulations 2012.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0331.html

Looks like they have legalised the use of small traffic lights for cyclists
    Traffic lights for pedal cyclists

36A.(1) Traffic sign numbers RTS 006 and RTS 007 shall, by mechanical means, control the crossing of a road by pedal cyclists.

(2) Traffic sign number RTS 006 shall consist of a set of 2 lamps and comply with the following conditions:

(a) it shall face the pedal cyclists whose movements it is intended to control;

(b) one lamp shall show, when lit, a symbol of a pedal cycle in green on a black background, indicating that pedal cyclists may cross the road;

(c) the lamp referred to in paragraph (b) may be illuminated on an intermittent basis indicating that pedal cyclists already in the course of crossing the road may continue to do so but otherwise pedal cyclists shall not cross the road;

(d) the other lamp shall show, when lit, a symbol of a pedal cycle in red on a black background indicating that pedal cyclists shall not cross the road;

(e) the lamps shall be arranged vertically, the lamp showing a display in red when lit being arranged above the other;

(f) each lamp shall be separately illuminated and the diameter of the lens of each shall be between 200 millimetres and 215 millimetres or between 80 millimetres and 110 millimetres;

(g) the centres of the lenses of lamps with a diameter between 200 millimetres and 215 millimetres shall not be more than 380 millimetres apart and the centres of the lenses of lamps with a diameter between 80 millimetres and 110 millimetres shall not be more than 150 millimetres apart;

(h) each lamp shall be lighted and extinguished in turn at intervals determined by an automatic or manually-operated device;

(i) subject to paragraph (j), when the lenses of the lamps have a diameter that is between 200 millimetres and 215 millimetres, the lower edge of the lower lamp shall not be not less than 2.1 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the surface of the ground in the immediate vicinity and, when the lenses have diameter that is between 80 millimetres and 110 millimetres, the lower edge of the lower lamp shall be between 1.5 metres and 1.7 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the ground in the immediate vicinity;

(j) when traffic sign number RTS 006 is provided at a place where roadworks are being carried out or is provided for other temporary traffic management purposes, the lower edge of the lower lamp shall not be less than 1.1 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the surface of the ground in the immediate vicinity.

(3) Traffic sign number RTS 007 shall consist of a set of 3 lamps and comply with the conditions set out in paragraphs (a), (f), (g) and (h) of sub-article (2) and with the following conditions:

(a) one lamp, when lit, shall show a symbol of a pedal cycle in green on a black background, indicating that pedal cyclists may cross the road;

(b) a second lamp, when lit, shall show a symbol of a pedal cycle in amber on a black background indicating that pedal cyclists may not cross the road unless they have already begun to do so while the lamp described in paragraph (a) was lit;

(c) when the second lamp described in paragraph (b) is lit on an intermittent basis, it indicates that pedal cyclists may only proceed past the cycle traffic lights provided that right of way is yielded to any pedestrian who has already begun to cross the roadway or cycle track;

(d) a third lamp, when lit, shall show a symbol of a pedal cycle in red on a black background, indicating that pedal cyclists shall not cross the road;

(e) the lamps referred to in paragraphs (a), (b) and (d) shall be arranged vertically, the lamp showing a display in red, when lit, being uppermost and the lamp showing a display in green, when lit, being lowermost;

(f) subject to paragraph (g), when the lenses of the lamps have a diameter that is between 200 millimetres and 215 millimetres, the lower edge of the lowermost lamp shall be not less than 2.1 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the surface of the ground in the immediate vicinity and, when the lenses of the lamps have a diameter that is between 80 millimetres and 110 millimetres, the lower edge of the lowermost lamp shall be between 1.5 metres and 1.7 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the ground in the immediate vicinity;

(g) where traffic sign RTS 007 is provided at a place where roadworks are being carried out or is provided for other temporary traffic management purposes, the lower edge of the lowermost lamp shall not be less than 1.1 metres and not more than 3.05 metres above the surface of the ground in the immediate vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

So the next question is: how to ensure this is publicised, including to the Gardai?!

In the meantime, I suppose I should print the document, with relevant bits and explanatory note highlighted, to wave at aggressive motorists and the aforementioned law enforcers? :p

From Oct 1st:

1) Fit 21 pages of the amendment onto A4 sheet double sided,
    2) Roll up 3 or so for back pocket per trip
    3) Identify driver who doesn't know the law (listen for beep and/or see hand gesture)
    4) Pop said sheet under driver's wiper when stopped at light (you'll probably catch up)
    5) Smile and wave cheerily

If queried say it's public service announcement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

In terms of the two interpretations above, I think the second is correct. RUS 021 refers to pedestrianised areas only and it wouldn't seem likely that cycle tracks are restricted to pedestrianised areas as the first interpretation would indicate.

Doh! - very happy to have got this one a$$ways.

When will this come into force or it is already in force?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Doh! - very happy to have got this one a$$ways.

When will this come into force or it is already in force?
    October 1st, so already in force. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

youwhoglue wrote: »

IMO
    must is definite
    shall is optional

That's why God used the shall form when he gave Moses his law to pass on to His chosen people.

Thou shall not kill - that commandment was definitely optional!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm both relieved and delighted that they followed through on the previous government's commitment to change the law. The longer it went on, the more I began to worry that they might row back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

+ Well-spotted by galwaycyclist!

Hmm...wonder if Varadkar et al. would be just as happy if we didn't find out that it had finally happened... :rolleyes:

I've emailed Leo to say thanks, and ask him to publicise it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

So, just so I'm clear, are we saying that in the light of the explanatory paragraph at the end of the new regulations, the correct answer to Enduro's question is the one I've highlighted in bold?
    Enduro wrote: »
    I'm wondering about the interpretation of (4)(a)... Is it to be read as

• Any track on road at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 is provided AND
    • any track on a portion of road at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 is provided AND
    • any track at an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 is provided

OR
    • any track on a road, AND
    • any track on a portion of road, AND
    • any track at an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 is provided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

As in 'neither'?...

I'd say, given that the explanatory note explicitly claims not to be legal interpretation, that it depends on the mood of the judge on the day.

Now all we need is a bit of enforcement...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

"(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, "

Does this mean that if I get doored by someone getting out of a taxi it's my fault?

dubmess wrote: »
    Does this mean that if I get doored by someone getting out of a taxi it's my fault?

Bearing in mind that it was technically illegal to cycle up the inside of any traffic before, I'd guess that it depends on the context. If the driver has signalled and pulled over properly to let someone off and you cycle up their inside, then you're probably in the wrong. If they're letting someone out without pulling in, then they probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

...except where the vehicle to be overtaken (i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left
    And, if, as is often the case, the driver does not signal....? .

• Advertisement

Delighted about the contraflow bus lanes. Though Stephen's Green East isn't the safest when you're stuck at the top due to left turning buses.

So... I can cycle through here when there's a red light now as there are lights specifically for bicycles?

http://goo.gl/maps/5RJ8X

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,522 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What a pleasant surprise. We should commemorate this day annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If the Garda car driving nortwards past Rathfarnham this morning is anything to go by, the Gardai already know. With a long tailback of cars in the main lane, the Garda driver must have said to his passenger "Ah jaysus now Garda Padjo, there's a pedal-cycle lane free there on the left, and sure those cyclists won't be using it any more since they don't have to. Will we drive along it Garda? Will we? Yerra sure, we will. Here we go. I love being a Garda, me". And off they went, undertaking the tailback of cars to their right, along the cycle track with the solid white line on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

doozerie wrote: »
    If the Garda car driving nortwards past Rathfarnham this morning is anything to go by, the Gardai already know. With a long tailback of cars in the main lane, the Garda driver must have said to his passenger "Ah jaysus now Garda Padjo, there's a pedal-cycle lane free there on the left, and sure those cyclists won't be using it any more since they don't have to. Will we drive along it Garda? Will we? Yerra sure, we will. Here we go. I love being a Garda, me". And off they went, undertaking the tailback of cars to their right, along the cycle track with the solid white line on it.
    and suddenly the penny drops. this is not for our benefit at all.... its croke park savings on fuel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Great minds, dubmess! This is the e-mail I sent to my cycling colleagues yesterday after I spotted this thread:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0332.html

Signed 7th September 2012.

Some interesting developments regarding cycling. For one thing, it appears to have legitimised the dangerous practice of passengers getting out of cars while the car is stopped in traffic. Or rather, it is the responsibility of the cyclist not to pass on the inside of a car that is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger to board/alight (see extract below). How can a cyclist tell? Other jurisdictions place the responsibility on the passenger/driver not to open a door into the path of a passing cyclist.

I'm also wondering if it legitimises cyclists undertaking other cyclists within the cycle lane. This has happened to me twice recently and it's not something I'd like to see gaining ground as common practice.

Anyway, I shall lead the witnesses no further and let you make up your own minds...

Happy reading,

[Dr Bob].

16. The Principal Regulations are amended—
    (d) in article 10—
    (ii) by substituting for sub-article (5) the following:

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

Also, does anyone know why they included a revision to the zebra crossing rule? The new wording seems to state what I understood the previous situation to be, i.e. I don't see the change that has been made. Were zebras still covered under the 1964 Act, or some subsequent S.I. I'm not aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I find this wording a bit odd:

"A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle..."

How are you supposed to overtake something going faster than you? With a wormhole?

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Great minds, dubmess! This is the e-mail I sent to my cycling colleagues yesterday after I spotted this thread:

Also, does anyone know why they included a revision to the zebra crossing rule? The new wording seems to state what I understood the previous situation to be, i.e. I don't see the change that has been made. Were zebras still covered under the 1964 Act, or some subsequent S.I. I'm not aware of?

The most immediately obvious change is that they are referring to zebra crossings as "zebra crossings". This is a welcome change.

The preceding regs are here

Signs
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Usage Regulations
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

The most immediately obvious change is that they are referring to zebra crossings as "zebra crossings". This is a welcome change.

The preceding regs are here

Signs
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0181.html

Usage Regulations
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

OK after an uber quick scan they still don't appear to have defined the circumstances in which a driver is expected to stop for pedestrians at a zebra crossing. As I recall it this is unclear in the recent 1997 regs and was not clearly defined in the 1964 Road Traffic and General Bye laws either

The old regs are here
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html#zzsi294y1964a36

Note: This is all from memory I havent looked at pedestrian issues in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Lumen wrote: »
    I find this wording a bit odd:

"A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle..."

How are you supposed to overtake something going faster than you? With a wormhole?

The whole SI has the feel of a horse designed by committee, to be honest.

I suspect the "overtaking" was added to make it clear that it's talking about the same cyclist, and because the draftsman has a very modern aversion to the word "such". If you put it in the second person, it would say:

"You may overtake on the left where vehicles to your right are stationary or are moving more slowly than you."

Advertisement