Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midnight encounter

Options
  • 21-10-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So, I was strolling home at approximately 4am last night, and as I was nearing my apartment and I decided to roll a cigarette and take in the beautiful surroundings of Galway city. I finished rolling it up and whilst exhaling the first puff my eyes were greeted by a stranger in the night. She was sitting alone, also smoking, and I was mystified as to her motives for sitting alone outside in the cold this late at night. After a few more moments of awkward glancing I finally plucked up the courage to walk over and make some light, friendly chat in the least creepy manner possible. We began chatting and to my delight I discovered we have a lot in common(bar both being smokers). She was waiting for a friend who she gladly introduced me to, and after her friend had gone she hinted at her desire to do something to prolong the nights activities.
    I was quite open and frank with her as I tend to be after a few drinks and invited her back for further drinks at my place. She didnt hesitate to join me and before I knew it we were both back at my place drinking and playing video games (i couldnt believe how good she was a fifa). We furthered our rapport with each other and I found myself hoping/praying the feelings of attraction were mutual. I didnt know how to make the first move and even with the aid of a few drinks for 'dutch courage' found myself floundering around her like a heavy handed, clod hopping teenage boy attempting to make the move to kiss her. I was concerned that she would feel compromised in a strangers house and that coming on to her would be inappropriate given the circumstances..
    This is where my core dilemma dwells. I find myself repeating the scenario over in my head, how I could have done it better? Did i miss an open opportunity? did she think I didnt like her? Regardless, she eventually left the house and I walked her to the street where she got a taxi. I didnt even try to kiss her when she was leaving and I failed to even get her mobile number. I would love to get a female perspective on this scenario. Was I being overly gentlemanly? or was the fact that she was in my house in the first place a sure sign she fancied me? Or (as I am now putting it down to), that it was just one of those random nice platonic meetings where drinks were shared and no awkwardness ruined the evening? Let me know what you think.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Let me get this straight OP. You didn't make a move because you were afraid of ruining an hour old friendship????

I hope you at least beat her on FIFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I think you should use paragraphs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

You sir, are a disgrace to men everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

When in Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Rome wrote: »
    So, I was strolling home at approximately 4am last night, and as I was nearing my apartment and I decided to roll a cigarette and take in the beautiful surroundings of Galway city. I finished rolling it up and whilst exhaling the first puff my eyes were greeted by a stranger in the night. She was sitting alone, also smoking, and I was mystified as to her motives for sitting alone outside in the cold this late at night. After a few more moments of awkward glancing I finally plucked up the courage to walk over and make some light, friendly chat in the least creepy manner possible. We began chatting and to my delight I discovered we have a lot in common(bar both being smokers). She was waiting for a friend who she gladly introduced me to, and after her friend had gone she hinted at her desire to do something to prolong the nights activities. I was quite open and frank with her as I tend to be after a few drinks and invited her back for further drinks at my place. She didnt hesitate to join me and before I knew it we were both back at my place drinking and playing video games (i couldnt believe how good she was a fifa). We furthered our rapport with each other and I found myself hoping/praying the feelings of attraction were mutual. I didnt know how to make the first move and even with the aid of a few drinks for 'dutch courage' found myself floundering around her like a heavy handed, clod hopping teenage boy attempting to make the move to kiss her. I was concerned that she would feel compromised in a strangers house and that coming on to her would be inappropriate given the circumstances.. This is where my core dilemma dwells. I find myself repeating the scenario over in my head, how I could have done it better? Did i miss an open opportunity? did she think I didnt like her? Regardless, she eventually left the house and I walked her to the street where she got a taxi. I didnt even try to kiss her when she was leaving and I failed to even get her mobile number. I would love to get a female perspective on this scenario. Was I being overly gentlemanly? or was the fact that she was in my house in the first place a sure sign she fancied me? Or (as I am now putting it down to), that it was just one of those random nice platonic meetings where drinks were shared and no awkwardness ruined the evening? Let me know what you think.:confused:

You were walking towards your apartment and she left your house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

missed out big time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

She went back to your place shortly after meeting you. You played video games and had a few drinks. You didn't make a move or ask for her number.

There are several possible opinions she has about you:

• You're a bit slow.
    • You realised after spending more time with her that you didn't like her enough to make a move.
    • You're a weirdo who asks random strangers home for no apparent reason.
    • You lack confidence.
    • You're an arsehole.

OP , you join Boards in June 2010 and your first post is now ... are you afraid of rejection ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

So, I was strolling home at approximately 4am last night, and as I was nearing my apartment and I decided to roll a cigarette and take in the beautiful surroundings of Galway city. I finished rolling it up and whilst exhaling the first puff my eyes were greeted by a stranger in the night. She was sitting alone, also smoking, and I was mystified as to her motives for sitting alone outside in the cold this late at night. After a few more moments of awkward glancing I finally plucked up the courage to walk over and make some light, friendly chat in the least creepy manner possible. We began chatting and to my delight I discovered we have a lot in common(bar both being smokers). She was waiting for a friend who she gladly introduced me to, and after her friend had gone she hinted at her desire to do something to prolong the nights activities. I was quite open and frank with her as I tend to be after a few drinks and invited her back for further drinks at my place. She didnt hesitate to join me and before I knew it we were both back at my place drinking and playing video games (i couldnt believe how good she was a fifa). We furthered our rapport with each other and I found myself hoping/praying the feelings of attraction were mutual. I didnt know how to make the first move and even with the aid of a few drinks for 'dutch courage' found myself floundering around her like a heavy handed, clod hopping teenage boy attempting to make the move to kiss her. I was concerned that she would feel compromised in a strangers house and that coming on to her would be inappropriate given the circumstances.. This is where my core dilemma dwells. I find myself repeating the scenario over in my head, how I could have done it better? Did i miss an open opportunity? did she think I didnt like her? Regardless, she eventually left the house and I walked her to the street where she got a taxi. I didnt even try to kiss her when she was leaving and I failed to even get her mobile number. I would love to get a female perspective on this scenario. Was I being overly gentlemanly? or was the fact that she was in my house in the first place a sure sign she fancied me? Or (as I am now putting it down to), that it was just one of those random nice platonic meetings where drinks were shared and no awkwardness ruined the evening? Let me know what you think.:confused:

She wanted a ride, all you had to do was say let's go to the bedroom, I want to show you something while taking her hand and leading her in. Say you are giving her a massage, lie her down......you get the idea. She wanted you at the beginning, your lack of assertiveness dried her right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Contrary to the posts above, i believe you are just a nice guy who in the moment felt awkward. It's a pity you didn't ask her for her number as then you could have gauged whether or not she liked you. I think she will like your good manners (it is endearing in this day and age) and probably does wonder why you didn't make a move, she's probably intrigued. You must have got some hint about where she lived/worked/studied while you were together. Why not track her down and ask her out? assuming you did fancy her that is.

You will never know until you try and at leasts it's better to get a definitive "NO" than to wonder for ever "What if?" Go for it, you've nothing to lose (as long as you are not in a serious relationship yourself).:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,888 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He did let her play with his joystick in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's grand to not shag her on first meeting, you don't know the girl or what you could have been accused of. But you should have gotten a number, or at least a full name and add her on facebook. then see if lust can blossom.

Contrary to the posts above, i believe you are just a nice guy who in the moment felt awkward. It's a pity you didn't ask her for her number as then you could have gauged whether or not she liked you. I think she will like your good manners (it is endearing in this day and age) and probably does wonder why you didn't make a move, she's probably intrigued. You must have got some hint about where she lived/worked/studied while you were together. Why not track her down and ask her out? assuming you did fancy her that is.

You will never know until you try and at leasts it's better to get a definitive "NO" than to wonder for ever "What if?" Go for it, you've nothing to lose (as long as you are not in a serious relationship yourself).:)

Apparently Ted Bundy was just a nice guy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

mattjack wrote: »

hmm yes, are you comparing every guy out on a Sat night with Ted Bundy?? Really?? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

She went back to your place shortly after meeting you. You played video games and had a few drinks. You didn't make a move or ask for her number.

There are several possible opinions she has about you:

• You're a bit slow.
    • You realised after spending more time with her that you didn't like her enough to make a move.
    • You're a weirdo who asks random strangers home for no apparent reason.
    • You lack confidence.
    • You're an arsehole

Lol, a guy didn't try and ride everything in sight and he's an arsehole?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think he was just pretending

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Did you at least have a fap in her memory after she left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

All the signs were there, she even wanted you to score so much that she played FIFA.

Actually, the story is made up. Or a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not sure luring someone into the bedroom just after meeting them is a good idea unless there's an understanding. Meeting someone out having a smoke wouldn't constitute an agreement in my opinion. But failing to get her number? Your man card is suspended until further notice. Investigation pending.

hmm yes, are you comparing every guy out on a Sat night with Ted Bundy?? Really?? Cop on.

Sorry , I meant to say Al Bundy.
    http://data.whicdn.com/images/24632007/420647_396701870343931_100000123655255_1739503_1108646327_n_thumb.jpg

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I think he was just pretending

Who ? me or Ted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Lol, a guy didn't try and ride everything in sight and he's an arsehole?:P

No, not because he didn't try to ride her.

He meets a stranger at 4am, invites her back to his place and they play videogames.

He starts to act like an awkward teenager. When she leaves he doesn't ask for her number etc, just says goodbye. It does seem a bit weird.

It was yore his Ma ....

see what I done ...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

She must have liked you - otherwise she would have taken off with her friend.

Bit of a loss not asking for the phone munber, though. I hope you manage to find her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Your lack of paragraph use tells me that you are the kind of guy who couldn't find a wet spot if it was covered in flour OP ..

Hand in your man Card, and please inform any ladies within a 5 yard radius that you are a nice guy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

My biggest problem with your dilemma is that you met her at 4am and call it a "midnight" encounter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I usually play Sussudio get out my camera and let things go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bin the computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Why was she briefly meeting a friend in the outdoors at 4am in the morning? Or was he her pimp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Browser

I didnt know how to make the first move and even with the aid of a few drinks for 'dutch courage' found myself floundering around her like a heavy handed, clod hopping teenage boy attempting to make the move to kiss her. I was concerned that she would feel compromised in a strangers house and that coming on to her would be inappropriate given the circumstances..

Dude. Comment on her hair and touch it. If she doesn't balk or look awkward when you touch it, you can just kiss her. Simple! :)

Advertisement