Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

It could be user error. One of the Kangers is completely broken, and was upon receipt of the kit. I was incredibly gentle but all the insides came out, and the black mouth piece is stuck to the screw part so it pulled the wick out and all the liquid. The atomoiser on it doesn't fire at all. The other one will not screw together tight enough to not seep fluid out onto my hands and the battery.

Maybe there's ways to fix it all and get replacements etc, but this is what I wanted to avoid in the fist place buying this. Why would I risk poisoining my cat and reordering working parts etc? I just wanted something I could fill and forget. I've something I can't fill and can't use.

Look it's not right for me, and I'm definitely not right for it. A bad match. I've learned enought to know when to cut and run. The guys in the store were very nice and offered to help fix it, but that's just not an option. I'm in serious financial difficulty, I thought this would help reduce expenditure on ciggies etc, but all it has done is cause me stress. The product is definitely not fit for purpose, in that I can't actually use it to inhale any vapour. If I'm THAT gentle with it and it is broken it doesn't bode will for repeated use and bringing around with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It is a shame that its not right for especially as you are under financial strain. These take a small bit of experience but once nailed you will be e-liquid spill free, I am sure after 3 or so fills you will be a kanger expert.

This kit was €63 and must be equivalent of 300 or so fags and future running costs would be €20/€30 a month which is worst case 60 fags so even with the hardware investment you will free up cash within weeks depending on how much you smoke.

The risk of poisoning a cat must be incredibly low, I have a cat and there is no chance it will lick my fingers with ejuice on. The risk must me similar to real cigarettes as an old butt has enough nicotine in to kill a cat. Follow normal hygiene rules and store eliquid safely and the risk must be near zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

It could be user error. One of the Kangers is completely broken, and was upon receipt of the kit. I was incredibly gentle but all the insides came out, and the black mouth piece is stuck to the screw part so it pulled the wick out and all the liquid. The atomoiser on it doesn't fire at all. The other one will not screw together tight enough to not seep fluid out onto my hands and the battery.

Maybe there's ways to fix it all and get replacements etc, but this is what I wanted to avoid in the fist place buying this. Why would I risk poisoining my cat and reordering working parts etc? I just wanted something I could fill and forget. I've something I can't fill and can't use.

Look it's not right for me, and I'm definitely not right for it. A bad match. I've learned enought to know when to cut and run. The guys in the store were very nice and offered to help fix it, but that's just not an option. I'm in serious financial difficulty, I thought this would help reduce expenditure on ciggies etc, but all it has done is cause me stress. The product is definitely not fit for purpose, in that I can't actually use it to inhale any vapour. If I'm THAT gentle with it and it is broken it doesn't bode will for repeated use and bringing around with me.

I think you don't need to worry about the cat getting poisoned. I'm sure if you poured a bottle of e-liquid into a saucer and gave it to your cat to drink it that he/she would turn her nose up to it as a cat can sense with their strong sense of smell that it's not a drink or food source and also that it wouldn't taste nice. I have cats myself and have seen their reaction when they smelled anything that had e-liquid in it and this is how I know this.

I suspect that you may have tried to pull off the tip of the kanger rather than screw it off and may have broke it that way. Either way I think you should give vaping a chance and don't give up just yet, you've come this far in wanting to try switching from smoking and cigarettes will definitely be more expensive in the long run as well as being worse for your health. Maybe just try put yesterday behind you and start fresh...

I have a few bits of cartos/clearos/e-liquids and other stuff there that I don't need and I can send to you for free. They will work with your batteries and help you get going. If you want to give it another go just pm me your address and I'll post them to you today.

If you do decide to give it another shot it might be worth your while letting the guys in esi have a look at the kangers with you if ye can arrange it and they will show you whats what with them and put you on the right track as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Would also recommend arranging to meet the ESI guys. They're so helpful and will explain it all and give you some tips. I've gotten loads of people to use kangers and none of them have had these problems. Hopefully you'll get it sorted and stay off the cigs

You've hit on something there alright, it's not just about the vaping, but having a smoking alternative that was important to me.

I have no time to go miles out of my way to meet them. I totally agree, they are a lovely bunch to deal with. I think they would be better off not having to deal with me. All things considered I made a total mess of the ordering etc, and now I have a broken product. It is physically BROKEN, a part of the kanger has broken off and the wick tore like wet paper. I would need 2 new kankers to have a working kit. I'm not willing to throw good money after bad on this...

What I wanted was to fill the kangers, screw them into the battery and vape... I can't actually do that with what I have. IF an equitable situation could be worked and the ESI guys aren't totally fuming with me (and they'd be right to) then I would consider having a second go.... But I am in a desperate situation financially and anything like this is a disaster for me that I can ill afford to deal with. :\

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

pm newmark, he offered to send you something else to try free. at least to tide you over until you can afford to get another couple of kangers or maybe just to see if you prefer whatever it is he can send you so you'll know to order them instead.

the main thing is you have the batteries with 510 and ego style connections so you can pretty much use 99% of what's out there, atomiser/cartomiser wise.

newmark wrote: »
    I think you don't need to worry about the cat getting poisoned..... <SNIP>

She actually tried to lick it off the floor. It scared the life out of me.

I appreciate your offer, but I don't want to give my address to someone random over the internet, as I'm sure you can understand.

I honestly tried to screw the black mouth piece off and the whole thing snapped. The atomiser on it never once fired up either so I'm pretty sure it is defective. The other keeps leaking fluid into my mouth, and I don't want to tighten it any further since they are so delicate.

It is cheaper than the fags in theory, but at 63 quid and a couple of bottles of fluid: I can't vape at all... so that's not any use surely I'm not being unreasonable here? I'm happy to learn / make mistakes but I have 2 kangers that 1 doesn't do ANYTHING and can't be reassembled and another that slowly drips fluid into my mouth. That's just not acceptable. I might get on to ESI later and see if we can work something out, but I've totally lost faith in the product. If I bought a computer that didn't switch on I wouldn't leave it sit there or try to buy new graphics cards etc to try and make it work....

I dunno as I say maybe it's not for me and I'm too harsh on the situation. For a noob though to have a totally broken product and to nearly end up vomiting after getting liquid in my mouth and a small cut on my hand hardly makes this a great option?
    pm newmark, he offered to send you something else to try free. at least to tide you over until you can afford to get another couple of kangers or maybe just to see if you prefer whatever it is he can send you so you'll know to order them instead.

Why would I buy more of them if I can't get the ones I already paid a lot of money for to work?

EDIT: ESI offered a full refund yesterday immediately. They have been great. It could just be bad luck here on my part. I don't want to put anyone off but I have a seriously defective product here that wasted most of my evening yesterday and made me feel physically sick.

The only real question I'm asking myself is whether to get on to ESI about maybe coming to a solution on this, or just go for the full refund... I'm debating it as the analogue ciggies are bloody horrible and this really COULD be an alternative for me, but at the moment it's a giant let down.

If the head (bit covered in floppy plastic) is not screwed down you can get the same symptoms with Kanger's as it happened to me when I started so when you unscrew the top the head can come with it.

It might just be me but you are coming across that you are making any excuse you can grasp at not to take it further........ poisoning cats, broken products, internet freaks and even financial. I wish you the very best of luck for the future but keep an open mind, I feel great now after 25 years of around 30 fags a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Okay, let's assume that the clearo's don't work for you. It is worth trying a 510 atomiser which contains 'cotton' wool. No fluid in a container type set up. That way you wouldn't have to worry about spillage? That's what I started with and they are a great little faff free device.

Just seems a bit harsh to write it off based on one experience. Might be worth one more shot. Most of us started by using the 510 and we might have been turned off if it wasn't so reliable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i know probably seems like there's loads of people ganging up on you here op, and that's certainly not our intention. i personally know how hard it is to be cash strapped BUT i also know that the saving compared to fags are worth you giving this another go. i really do. i think you should take newmark up on his offer, and give it another chance. i've given my address to a good few people on here and swapped e-liquids with them, i've met newmark in person... i could go on but you get the picture. it WILL be worth it and think how good you'll feel in a few weeks when you're tobacco free, you'll look back on this as just a blip. :)

• Advertisement

Ok a few things here:

@krissovo: Do you have a solution that takes it further where I can vape but not spend more money (until I need replacement parts / liquid etc)? I've spent a lot of money and can't get one drag off the thing. What I have is 2 battries, a lot of fluid, a clearomiser that wont' screw back together and a wick that disentegrated, and another that leaks badly, it lost 2ml of liquid overnight without being touched. That CANNOT be right. It's a pretty basic unit, and I'm more than capable at building electornics so surely it's the product at fault. Twice is not good.

Internet freaks: Yep totally my fault there. I am a bit knee jerk in my reactions, and I have stated that, and that would be a reason for everyone's sake not to continue.

The cat: I LOVE that cat and ANY risk to her is not acceptable.

Broken products: why would I NOT be unhappy with that. By any standards that is very poor.

Writing it off in one experience: Yeah I take this point and it is the reason I'm posting at all. Maybe it is worth trying further, but as it stands the device is broken. That's not open for debate. It is a defective product. Would you tell me to pay for parts on a brand new car if it was delivered broken?

Getting other parts: I'm not happy to pay for more stuff when the stuff I paid for isn't performing. Again that seems very reasonable...

Financial: I'm in a SERIOUS financial situation at the moment. It's not unreasonable to be unhappy to spend 70 odd quid on something I can't actually use.

So there's two choices: contact ESI and see if we can work a solution out. That may be possible, they're a cool crowd. Or just get the money back and try to figure out an alternative.

I'm genuinely looking for advice posting here, I'm sorry I come across as I do, but times are very hard and this is just such a waste of time, money and effort. For all involved.

@artyeva Just saw your post. I don't feel ganged up on. I'm just a bit surprised at the recommendation of buying more stuff on top of something that I paid for. There's no offence here, nor do I think people are being harsh (especially given the debacle earlier). I just worry when something is so badly broken that I'm throwing good money after bad. HOWEVER, the fags are horrible and this seems to be a good alternative. I gave it a good shot, I spent my money, I looked for advice and recommendations. I thought this would be simple and effective. It is not.

I'm simply not happy giving out my address on the Internet to someone random off a board. I'm sure they are probably fine etc, but it is not something I would be willing to do in any way. The same should go both ways, for all you know I'm a complete psychopath.

I'm having a horrible time lately and perhaps venting into this more than I realised. I'm not trying to be aggressive or stand offish with anyone. I'm very frustrated and disheartned by this.

Ok a few things here:

Internet freaks: Yep totally my fault there. I am a bit knee jerk in my reactions, and I have stated that, and that would be a reason for everyone's sake not to continue.

The cat: I LOVE that cat and ANY risk to her is not acceptable.

Broken products: why would I NOT be unhappy with that. By any standards that is very poor.

Writing it off in one experience: Yeah I take this point and it is the reason I'm posting at all. Maybe it is worth trying further, but as it stands the device is broken. That's not open for debate. It is a defective product. Would you tell me to pay for parts on a brand new car if it was delivered broken?

Getting other parts: I'm not happy to pay for more stuff when the stuff I paid for isn't performing. Again that seems very reasonable...

Financial: I'm in a SERIOUS financial situation at the moment. It's not unreasonable to be unhappy to spend 70 odd quid on something I can't actually use.

taking all of those points on board, how about looking at it this way, you only have kangers you can't use, your batteries are still fine. newmark is willing to send you an alternative you can use with your batteries to get you started. kangers cost 5.50 each i think so 2 of them is just over a pack of fags. if what newmark send you gets you vaping and not smoking for the equivalent of 2 1/2 packs of fags, you're no longer in the red. i always step back and look at the bigger picture, and i'm so financially tight you wouldn't believe.

as to looking after you cat, i understand completely. but the fact he/she tried to lick it off the floor isn't really the gear's fault, it's just unfortunate that that the liquid dropped on the floor. i got a great little plastic box to keep all my vaping stuff in, has two little handles on either side you clip onto the lid so my cat [who i love like a child!] can't get in there. if you decide to give this another go i'll buy you one. that's how much i have faith in you succeeding if you give it a chance :)

just saw your post above: ok, i admit defeat!! i do think you're being a bit blind sighted given that you're being offered something for free, BUT i just know how good it feels to be fag-free. i've stopped wheezing, i smell better, i have more money in my pocket and i know i'm going to live longer. my offer still stands, as i'm sure newmark's does. best of luck to you and i hope you find something that works for you in the future xx

The point on the liquid was that it shouldn't have broken and poured on the floor.

newmark made a great offer, but I'm not willing to follow that line up. I won't give me address out and I have good reasons.

I find it absolutely astounding that anyone would recommend buying more stuff when it's broken. I'd be happy to receive free replacements for the kangers but I don't have the cash to order more of something that has a zero for two success rate for me. That seems crazy. That's like getting a car with 2 broken windows and me telling you to buy new windows, rather than get it replaced / refunded. Nowhere else have I ever come across this line of reasoning.

I get what you're saying about the big picture, but all I have is 70 euro thrown down the drain with a broken e cigarette....

if you continue to smoke add up in the next few weeks what you spend on fags, then add up €11 for two replacement kangers.

that's the bigger picture. either way, i do genuinely wish you the best of luck. xx

artyeva wrote: »
    if you continue to smoke add up in the next few weeks what you spend on fags, then add up €11 for two replacement kangers.

that's the bigger picture. either way, i do genuinely wish you the best of luck. xx

I'm actually surprised by this. If you bought a PC and the graphics card melted as soon as you turned it on, nobody would tell you to fork out money on a new graphics card. I've never come across this before.

I would expect at minimum 2 replacement kangers, and I would try it again. However, the big picture remains that I have completely wasted 70 quid. There's no other way to look at it than that as far as I can see.

I won't waste people's time any more though, I really do appreciate the feedback from everyone here. I'll get on to ESI later maybe and see if we can come to a solution on this issue. I would consider heading out to them as I have a day off tomorrow.

It's hard to have faith in a product when both of them are broken right out of the box. I'm hardly filled with confidence in it for day to day use when I've had NO use from it AT ALL for 70 bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

A graphics card is a totally different thing to a 5.50 clearo a small matter of about 194 euro in most cases and of course the lack of health benefits. You will spend far more than 5.50 that on a box of fags and degrade your health, the likelihood is that the new clearos (go for a vision if you prefer, i could totally understand the kanger brand being tarnished in your eyes) or cartos, cartos are far less fiddly.

Giving up on vaping is most definitely not the solution to anyones financial woes, especially if you go back on the fags. But you seem to have created an impassible wall for yourself.
    Oh also having given out my address numerous times on boards, I have had no issue. Also the person offering assistance seems to be rather regular and liked in the community. You should trust him. Think about the fact that you give your address to online shops, people have access to it, its in a database, security is not impervious and usually you have no knowledge of the people there. Also this interaction is in front of many peoples eyes.

So that is all i will say on the matter. And I hope things turn out well for you. Vaping is something i would recommend for absolutely anyone to persevere with, when we all started smoking we persevered for whatever reason, there is no instant love in reality for what we used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I don't get it - I thought you'd been offered a refund so I don't see it's throwing more money away?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

I see your point around if a graphics card or a car window or something was broken that it would be unacceptable and understand where you are coming from there but the 2 x kangers are worth €10.50 of the €60 or so you payed out and most of us here that have been vaping a while know that that's a very unusual thing to happen.

Going on that and the first incident with the glasses case being mixes up I think we also know that you have simply been very very unlucky or just jinxed hence why were trying to urge you to take a small step back and look at the bigger picture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

FWIW when it came to starting vaping, I think many of us panicked a little and started looking for reasons to give up before we started.

I know with me, when I first vaped it made me cough like mad, it was like inhaling a bag of talcum powder :). This happens to a small number of people, you just need to keep at it for a few hours and not smoke analogs at the same time. I knew this, but it still made me put the ecig away. I'd take it out once a week or so and try again, then put it away again 5 minutes later. This went on for a few months before I just got fed up with myself and made myself stick with it. 2 hours later I loved it and haven't looked back :)

Anyway, the point is that the nature of the addiction makes you want to turn away from anything that isn't smoking.

But I think that despite how you feel right now, you're actually in a really good position at the moment. You've got two pretty risk free choices you can make.

A: You can go up to ESI and see what they can do. Best case they can show you something that works really great for you (possibly some working kangers, possibly something else), and you can replace the non-working kangers with something that does work, and leave happy. Worst case, you get the refund that they've already offered.

B: You could take up Newmarks offer to try some stuff he has. Best case, you find something that works really great, return the non-working kangers to ESI and get what does work. Worst case, none of it impresses you, but you've spent nothing extra and you return the lot to ESI for your refund.

Now there is also one more option,

C: You could just return the kit to ESI for your refund. Best case is that you get the worst case from A/B, and save yourself a little hassle. Worst case is that you miss out on vaping and saving yourself plenty of money.

(can you tell yet that I'm a fan of game theory :))

So personally I think A or B is a no brainer. I was a little lucky when I started, I collected my starter kit from thebestshop.eu and they showed me how to set it up. Thinking back on it, that was pretty invaluable, and if I didn't have that I could well have given up right from the start. If you had the same chance with ESI it could do the same for you. So personally I think ideally A would be better, but if it's very hard for you to get to ESI, then obviously B could be better.

Oh, and about the cat, it's always a good idea to treat e-liquid the same way you would a household chemical, like bleach or oven cleaner*. i.e. keep it stored away safely, be careful where you pour it etc, at least until you get used to how and when it might spill a little.

*note: apart from the vaping part of course, I'm not suggesting anyone should vapourise and inhale bleach :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

At this point on this thread, I would like to share an experience with ESI.

I ordered 2x mini vivi nova tank (about the same price as a kanger T2 that comes in the starter kit), and they arrived the very next day.

One of them was crooked and leaked juice. I talk about it here on this thread. I emailed ESI and got a replacement, no quibble / no hassle.

The patience, advice and genuine offers of help / assistance and even free equipment being demonstrated by the forum regulars to a newcomer on this thread is incredibly impressive to me. Well done all.

Ross, if ESI have indeed offer you a refund, then isn't that great? IMO, they really don't have to, doesn't the whole consumers rights thing come down to 'repair or replace' at the discretion of the retailer?

If they've offered you replacement Kanger T2's, also great, you can get those tomorrow, start vaping and enjoy the benefits of not smoking cigarettes detailed on here and experienced by me over the last three weeks.

Either way, I think you've spent more time on here typing posts about getting a refund/getting yourself vaping than actually sorting it out to a satisfactory resolution with ESI over the phone.

• Advertisement

Ok so I found an option D: a friend gave me a couple of Kanger T2s :)

So, I'm charging it up at the moment and I'll report back in a few days.

Just wanted to post a couple of things:

Many thanks for the offers folks that's really nice and I DO appreciate it.

My anger is at the product and in no way at you guys and especially NOT at ESI. They have been the best vendor of anything I've dealt with in many years. I would recommend them to everyone.

I'll get vaping and I'll let you all know how I get on... after taking time to look at the bigger picture as you have pointed out. Thanks folks your arguments are very good and some of my justifications are looking pretty shabby. :)

Result!

I wish you the very best of luck.

Edit: the batteries should be good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

stevenmu wrote: »

*note: apart from the vaping part of course, I'm not suggesting anyone should vapourise and inhale bleach :pac:
    $hit only saw this warning after I'd tried it. Plz put your warnings in future higher up the post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Find that throathit?

grindle wrote: »
    Find that throathit?
    Not yet Grinds, took a 10ml bot of Martini to work with great intentions of having a dabble, but too bloody busy.
    Good job no one spotted it otherwise they'd think a was an alco smuggling in drink in small doses ;)
    Then when I got home I opened up my latest batch of new flavours and been trying them. If a ban does come in won't affect me for a decade with my stockpile.
    My sons graduation tmoz in stab city so it will have to wait for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Semi serious question. A breathalyser measures alcohol excreted by the lungs....you can guess the rest of my point...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

kiffy wrote: »
    stab city

:eek::eek::eek:

Fare thee well, young kiffster. *sniff*

grindle wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Fare thee well, young kiffster. *sniff*
    I'll be home well before dark that's for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I started a year ago and I'm still at it and it's true that things have improved. The cartos were the best thing on the go back then but all I could taste was the filler.......no matter what flabour I tried. Clearo's were junk back then but the clearo's have really improved over the course of a year and I'd say they have taken over from carto's. I nearly gave up a good few times as well due to frustration.

Kangers and Vivi Nova's are decent starter kits now while 510's were the main starter then. If you're going to start again, it should be much easier to stay at it now.

Think i sent you some clearo's to try yonks ago! its funny how it comes back around and now your helping me :)

Ordered a Kanger T3 because the T2's were gone, are they any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

The T3 seem to get good reviews anyway. The problem I had with most of those systems was the vapour was just too hot cos the coil is close to your mouth. I think the T3 has the coil at the bottom though.

Advertisement